CH 9: Trying

"Are you going to eat?" Chanhee asked while having food stuffed in his mouth.

"Yeah, just not in the mood." She stared at her food and poked the carrots. Chanhee gasped and put a another sausage in his mouth.

"Isn't Lunch your favorite subject though??" He slurped a noodle and gulped it down in 0.1 seconds.

"Yeah it is but.. I'm on a diet." She chuckled lightly.

"Ehh.. True." He murmured.

It was the second week since Chanhee and Hyewon met, they had gotten closer throughout the days and they were sometimes labelled as a couple amongst the students due to them always being side by side; however Changmin was still on her mind.

Yet, Hyewon had been ignoring Changmin all the while noticing he's gotten closer with another girl.

Hyewon didn't mind if she was his girlfriend but it was pretty irritating that they've been everywhere together; whenever Hyewon was at the convenience store, they were there, whenever she's at the park, they were there, whenever she's at the bus stop, they were always in their little world. It's normal to feel a little jealous, right?

"Helloo?" Chanhee waved his chopsticks in front of Hyewon. "Why are you always spacing out? You look so down." He cupped his face while his elbows were resting on the table.

"It's that time of the month."

"Oh oh- sorry.." He awkwardly smiled. "The pads are on sale in the convenience store. Only $2.99! And they're for heavy loads." He brightly looked up at Hyewon who was giving him the what the fuck face.

"Just so you know..." Chanhee trailed off then started blabbing about random stuff that Hyewon wasn't paying attention to, because he was speaking too fast. How can such a shy innocent looking boy be this energetic on a Monday?

Hyewon ate the last pieces of her food and took a quick glance at Changmin and the girl who were laughing and giggling about God knows what. Apparently her name is Heejin; aand after meeting her, Changmin has been drinking milk again. Something about her changed Changmin, a big change.

"-the noodles were about to burn and I accidentally burnt this new pot my mom bought which was $39.99 but it's not my fault since the noodles weren't cooperating, and now I'm in charge of cooking in the household. I decided to make cookies but burnt it! However since there was a supermarket near me I bought new on the shelf cookies and that's how my mom fell in love with my non-existent baking." He stated and Hyewon stood up holding her empty tray.

"The poor cookies.." She wiped a fake tear and walked to the garbage can feeling Chanhee's presence behind her. She threw out the empty bottle and Chanhee threw out the tomatoes from his burger.

Walking out, Hyewon could feel a pair of eyes on her, but decided to ignore it.

Ever since the argument happened, she couldn't stop thinking about it; but her thoughts have been telling her to move on.

She knew it was her fault, but the last impression Changmin left on her was still there.

Forgiving is easy because you feel like the weight on your shoulders is gone but it's even harder forgiving someone when you don't even know who's fault it is. Maybe it was her fault for confronting Changmin in the first place, maybe she'd be better without meeting Changmin. But then again, he's her long life friend so what can she do about it? Just ignore it?

She knew that as the days go on, she'd retrieve her memories again.

Hyewon still had other thoughts running around her mind, espiecally about her parents.
Sangyeon is her step brother, although they both don't know why.

Their parents had disappeared when they were younger, leaving Sangyeon and Hyewon no other choice but to take care of eachother.

They ended up at the orphanage where their parents last left them. It was hard at first because Sangyeon was 12 and Hyewon was 10. People never adopt older kids, they always tend to adopt younger ones.

When Sangyeon was old enough to get a job, he promised Hyewon, whom he calls his sister, that he'd find a place for them to stay at in order to start their life anew.

It took years just to earn the right amount of money, and after Hyewon was ready for a job, everything became easier. They could finally pay off some bills.

"Hyewon let's go to the park after school!" Chanhee smiled while they walked to their lockers.

"Sure. But not for long. I have to go to work." She smiled softly at the boy who was fiddling with his fingers and he nodded.

It was nice having someone who can understand.

🥛 🥛 🥛

"Ow." Chanhee muttered. "You're suppose to throw the rocks at the pond! Not me!!" He yelled and rubbed the sore spot on is arm.

"I think throwing it at you is more fascinating then throwing it at the pond." She stated and continued throwing rocks at the poor boy.

"AHh!" Chanhee yelped and fell into the pond. Hyewon held her stomach and continued to laugh so hard, to the point her stomach started to hurt. Hyewon kept backing up and hit someone by accident.

"Oh sorry!" Her laugh slowly fainted and her smile dropped once she saw who it was.

I wish it was that easy to say sorry. She scoffed at her thought.

"Oh! Hyewon!" Heejin smiled and held onto her arm.

Acting all cute? I can do that too!

"Oh! Heejin!" She mocked Heejin and held onto her arm while Changmin was watching the two girls.

"Are you on a date with Chanhee?" She looked behind Hyewon to see him shaking his clothes off while shivering.

"Ahh well-"

"Hi guys!" Chanhee yelled and waved at them smiling brightly and ran towards Hyewon, putting his arm around her.

"Why are you soaked." Changmin looked up and down to see Chanhee wet from top to bottom.

"Ah, because Hyewon kept throwing rocks at me." He said and flicked her forehead. Hyewon winced in pain but held in her laugh.

"Aww.. you two look so cute together!" Heejin smiled brighter and kept making noises which Hyewon kinda found irritating. Changmin eyed the both and when he finally got the attention of Hyewon, she looked away first. The eye contact rarely lasted five seconds.

"We'll see you guys around. Have fun with your date!" She said and waved, and walked away holding Changmin's wrist.

Hyewon yelled back "We're not dating!" after they were out of sight, she checked her watch. "Ah! Chanhee I have to go to work now. I'll see you." She waved and Chanhee waved back smiling.

After Hyewon left, Chanhee's smile faltered. Loneliness took over. Hyewon was the only person he was comfortable around. It took a lot of courage for him to muster up and ask her if she needed a hug, because he knew he also needed it.

It's hard to tell if someone is going through something if they're just covering it up with a smile.

People always thought Chanhee was carefree, but he's just trying to look carefree.

🥛~~~~🥛

this chapter is so deep. ill try to make the next chapters not sad and angst (((:: SMILEE