CH 11: Curious

WARNING: mentions sui***de.

Being the sneaky Hyewon she is, she hid from her parents as soon as she saw them. Who'd want to see the parents who put them up for adoption for doing nothing? Who left them there, young and naive?

-All just to make themselves satisfied by taking care of their own child..?

The audacity for their mom to leave her biological son and step daughter to care for a child of their own was more than cruel.

"Shee-sus. What are they doing here? Did that ugly goat Sangyeon let them in?" She whispered-hissed to herself.

Hyewon ended up hiding near the washroom that was close to the living room; where her parents were.

Watching intently through the crack of the washroom door, she saw her brother come out with cups of water in his hands and put it down, rather aggressively.

"What do you want." He said coldly avoiding gaze with his ex. parents.

"We want you.." Hyewon's former father said. It sounded more like a pickup line rather than an actual statement, though they really meant it.

His fists tightened, "Stop." Sangyeon responded harshly. "You want us back after what you've done?! Don't you know what kind of damage you've done to Hyewon? She cried herself to sleep every night in the adoption center and refused to eat for days. The trauma you've left her will never go away."

"Look, Sangyeon.. we gave you up for adoption because we couldn't handle the costs for the both of you, highschool costs, Hyewon's surgery costs, college costs-"

"So you decided to put us up for adoption and keep your other child? The one you made together?! Is that your definition of starting new? Putting us in danger? We had to make a fucking living for ourselves just to survive. No parents wanted to adopt us." His eyes becoming teary, "Who'd want a child who's old anyways?" He softly said, trying to hold back his tears.

Both of the adults exchanged glances. "Please, your sister really wants to see you." The woman said.

"The only sister I have is Hyewon. Don't make me see the reason why you left us." He held his hands tightly and finally had the courage to stare at the adults eyes. "Please leave." After a while of silence, the adults stood up and left; but before they could do so, Hyewon ran upstairs with tears flowing out of her eyes.
The attention was now all on her.

🥛 🥛 🥛

Hyewon gripped her schoolbag straps and walked out of the bus. Changmin was no where to be seen once again, even though deeeeep inside Hyewon wanted to see him.

Instead she was greeted with Heejin running up to her.

Come to think of it, Heejin did sound very familiar to Hyewon the first time she heard her name, but thinking about Heejin made her feel icky so she decided to let it slide down the mud.

"Hyewon!" She screamed making people look at her. "Ahh finally!!" She screamed in Hyewon's ear as she hugged her tightly.

"Since when were we so close?" Hyewon muttered.

"Huh? What was that? Sin winner so clothes?" Heejin tilted her head.

"Ah yes! There's a clothes that a winner and.. sin." Hyewon let out an awkward smile.

"Say, Hyewon, since you're my only girl friend, I need some advice." She asked, holding onto Hyewon's arm.

"Go ahead." Hyewon wouldn't care less but it did make her feel a little soft towards Heejin. "Is it about Changmin?"

"Ah no, of course not." She let out a small giggle. Before Heejin could even open her mouth, they both heard a voice coming from behind Hyewon.

"What about me?" The tall boy asked.

"Changmin? We said Chung mean." Hyewon awkwardly smiled again.

Changmin shrugged and stabbed a straw into his chocolate milk.

"Oh! Hyewon! I actually have to mop the floor!" Heejin raised her eyebrows.

"Mop the floor..?" Hyewon asked.

"Yeah! Like, there's this thing in the school and the dirt is like everywhere so like mopping is the only thing to fix the dirty floor so I have to go, um I'll see you around?" Heejin bid goodbye to both of them before Hyewon could even respond.

🥛 🥛 🥛

It was free time and Hyewon and Changmin sat beside eachother chatting about little things. Everything between them was fine now.

"Changmin-ah." She called out to Changmin who was sipping white milk now.

"Mmm?" He responded still while sipping.

"Why do you drink milk?"

"Cause it makes me strong." He flexed his arms. It was pretty muscular, Hyewon had to admit. ;)

"No but like, for real. You still can't lift 4 textbooks at one time."

Changmin heaved a sigh and sat closer to Hyewon. "This will be a pretty short story since free time is almost over." Hyewon nodded and anticipated for what he was gonna say.

"Ever since I was young, I opened up my fridge and saw milk. It looked disgusting to me but once I drank it, I fell in love with it. My mom always made homemade milk smoothies and milk tea. It was like a calming medicine for me, and when I found out there were different flavors, I went ballistic. I reallyyyy loved milk and still do, but when my mom passed away due to severe head injuries from committing s***de. I went into depression.."

His hands started to fidget and his leg was shaking uncontrollably, "and faced anxiety whenever I was in a crowd of people. Milk always calmed me because it reminded me of my mother." He sighed and bit his lips, "And.. When I met you, you were also like a calming medicine to me. I was lonely and you talked to me when I needed it the most.. But that was the past."

The last sentence made Hyewon's heart drop. So she's not medicine to him anymore?

"I stopped drinking milk, the anger inside of me was too much. Not only that but my father was getting into some weird business. After you left, I cried that night. Nonetheless, I went back to drinking milk. Yeah yeah I was rich, but I didn't want the money, all I wanted was a better family; I wanted my mom back."

He gripped the bottle of milk in his hands tightly, "and the only way I could have her back was by drinking milk. So you were right, I only use my money to buy milk but it was because milk reminded me of my mother's love, even though it had painful memories." His whole body was still, no one moved; it was almost as if the world had stopped after he told his story.

That was deep... Hyewon thought and couldn't help but feel the same way as him.

"Wow I'm so sorry.. I have no words." She gritted her teeth, "You're not the only one who had to suffer going through that." Hyewon sighed making Changmin perk his head up. "What do you mean?" He furrowed his eyebrows together but before she could even mutter a word, the bell rang; indicating that next class would start very soon. They parted ways and went to their designated class.

🥛 🥛 🥛

"Hyewon!!" Hyewon heard a voice as she was walking out of school. Once Heejin reached Hyewon, she panted heavily before catching her breath and saying what she needed to say.

"About the thing I was about to ask this morning," Hyewon nodded for her to continue, "I'm meeting this person this week. Who oddly has a similar name to yours." She quickly said the last part. "She's like my sister, but I haven't really gotten to know her well. Anddd she hates me for some reason." She sighed. "I really want to know her, but what do I do if she hates me?" She tilted her head and put her hands on her waists.

Hyewon was quite curious but gave her advice anyways, not questioning because she couldn't care less about Heejin's life.

🥛~~~~🥛

hey guys! just a note, school is starting on sept 4 and I am currently preparing. I have to focus hard and do my best so im sorry if the chapters are going to be slow from now on.

ALSO TYSM FOR 200+ READS!! AHHHH<333