CH 15: Family

"I haven't heard from Heejin. She hasn't come to school for days now." Chanhee took a bite from his sausage.

Hyewon looked at Chanhee "Please don't mention her.."

Chanhee gulped down his sausage. "Why? I thought you two were close?"

Hyewon took a deep breath and looked down while shaking her head. "I guess you can say that, but things change."

Changmin noticed the drastic change in the atmosphere so he decided to change the topic. "Chanhee, you still haven't told us who that lady was the other day."

Chanhee averted his gaze to a nearby tree. "What a nice tree."

"Yah! Is she your mother or something? It's not that hard to answer."

Chanhee looked down and took another bite from his sausage. "What a yummy sausage."

This time, Changmin took his sausage and stole a bite. "Now explain or I wont buy you anymore sausages."

Chanhee sighed in defeat. "Okayokay." He smacked his lips together until finally giving in, "She's my former step mother. Satisfied?"

Former? Hyewon scrunched her face to her thought.

Changmin stayed quiet and didn't dare to speak a word. "Oh.. I'm sorry.." He said and handed the sausage back to Chanhee while looking down at the solid floor.

"I guess we all could relate somehow." Hyewon's right cheek lifted.

They were eating lunch in the school parking lot. I know, very nice.

"Hyewon.." A man's voice said.

And who other than the greatest Mr. Moon? Applaud applaud.

"Oh my God." She muttered under her breath, and Changmin seemed to notice.

Mr. Moon stepped closer. "Please, let me speak to you." He said quietly.

"No." She frowned and stepped back.

Mr. Moon took in a harsh breath. "That happened years ago? Why can't you get over it?"

A sudden resurgence of memories had popped up in her mind, the feelings impacted her greatly.

She lost balance and backed up a bit after remembering such things.

Hyewon looked down and back up at her father. "I ran home, but then bright lights showed up." She paused. "It was your car."

"I know." He had a look of guilt in his eyes.

Hyewon fiddled with her fingers and stood up straight with confidence. "If you knew, how come you didn't pay for my expenses? Your an administrator! You seriously didn't have the money to pay for your own daughter's injuries?"

Changmin and Chanhee silently gasped at the situation and stared at eachother.

"You decided to have a child, Heejin, a few years after you seperated with mom, I was only one when she was born. You guys adopted Eric from the same orphanage where me and Sangyeon lived for the rest of our years, until we were forced to make a living for ourselves because we were too old for any parents liking. Of course I can't get over it."

...

Five seconds of silence was all she needed.

Hyewon shut her eyes tightly. "But.. I know that I'll have to forgive you."

Chanhee gasped louder this time, making all eyes on him. "I'm so sorry, please continue." He mumbled.

Changmin smoothly held Hyewon's hand tightly.

"Look, Hyewon. I'm so sorry. I regretted what I did. Even if you don't want to come back to our family, you're still my precious little angel."

Hyewon smiled softly even thought that last sentence meant nothing to her but sadness.

"I'll leave you alone now." Mr. Moon nodded slightly before he turned to Changmin. "Treat her well, because I wasn't able to." Changmin nodded and saluted with his free hand before he left to go inside the school.

After he left, another voice spoke.

"Chanhee.."

They looked to the side to see the lady from the other day.

Chanhee acted as if he hasn't seen her even though he obviously had.

The lady came closer and Chanhee finally looked up.

"I'm sorry. Your grandma.. I'm sorry I wasn't there. And when your father left. I'm sorry." She had tears in her eyes and her hands were swollen.

Chanhee gritted his teeth but the image of his mother crying never left him.

Chanhee sighed deeply. "Just like Hyewon did, I'll forgive you mom. I know. I'm the one to blame. You were working hard to pay for grandma and dad's expenses and you never knew. You should've told me, but please don't suffer alone." He smiled. "I've always felt lonely. But now I feel at peace."

🥛 🥛 🥛

"Hyewon."

"Geez what's with all the name calling today?" She whispered under her breath and turned around to see Heejin.

Hyewon widened her eyes. "Is there anything you need?.. The baguettes are on sale.."

Heejin laughed slightly and looked up back at Hyewon. "I'll wait till your done, Hyewon."

Hyewon nodded and Heejin took a seat next to the window. Hyewon inspected every move she was doing since she has nothing to do anyways except wait for more customers and pack bread.

After 20 minutes passed, her shift was finally over and she sat across from Heejin after she was done changing into her casual outwear.

Heejin didn't take her eyes off the scenery outside.

"I'm sorry if we seemed like we were begging you to come back to our family. We should've known how much of an impact the things we did to you would have on your life, and we didn't take into consideration about how you'd feel." Heejin smiled sweetly at Hyewon, and Hyewon smiled slightly back.

"Even though I don't remember memories with you, and I'm still suspicious over this whole thing, you must've be an awesome younger sister." Hyewon smiled brightly and they both had a laugh.

They then moved onto another topic because that topic was too depressing to continue.

Everything felt the way it was before.

But it wasn't over yet.

🥛~~~~🥛

ok tbh this chapter was really cheesy but I guess this chapter has a meaning to it. I cut this chapter short because a lot of things came up while making this chapter so I wasn't able to finish it on time, but thank you so much for 500+ READSSS!! :)

I can kinda sense this chapter coming to an end but its not the end just yet.