Chapter 10 Bad Kept Secrets

• Dedicated to Marieke Peeters

When I came to Niall and Alex. Alex looked at me hopefully and Niall looked confused. "What happened?" was the first thing he asked.

"What do you mean?" I replied. Not really getting what he meant. Maybe because I messed my hair up, and removed my make-up.

"You just changed yourself again. You ruined your hair and removed your slight touch of make-up. why?" He frowned.

"Sam said it looked hideous, she is my best friend ..." I trailed off looking at Alex. He looked angry.

"She's just jealous." Alex jumped up. "She doesn't want to be the less pretty one." that sounds weird. Sam's always the pretty one.

"No, she's my best friend. She would never do that." I said. Alex frowned, but then he smirked. Like he found the lost piece of a huge puzzle.

"I get it now. if you're prettier. You get the fame. You get the fame she has now, you get the fame you deserve." he said triumphantly.

"What do you mean?" I asked, afraid he might be on to us. What if he knows what we're doing. What will happen then?

"Well she's the face right? the reason why she's on stage and not you is because she's pretty and you're not." my mouth hung open.

"You know?" my voice didn't sound like my voice at all. both Niall and Alex nodded.

"Alex found out while he was lost. he saw you singing while Sam was on stage. So he went into your box after the show and saw everything." I sat down. Tears ready to spill.

"Please" I begged. "Don't tell anyone. You can't tell. It will ruin everything. But most of all, it will be my fault. My fault the fans are disappointed, my fault Sam will be mad, my fault they will get angry, they will all accuse me of the thing that went wrong and it-"

"Scarlett." Niall cut me off. "We won't tell anyone unless you let us. I promise you that." He whipped the tears off of my cheeks.

I smiled a sad smile. "I'm sorry. This is just so messed up." I felt so sad right now. Not because they found out, but because this was just another problem added to the pile. Caused by my ugliness.

"Don't be sorry." Alex said. He smiled a small smile. "Can you sing for us. I really like to hear you sing." and I agreed. I would sing to them, they kept this a secret. They were real friends.

So I sang, I sang one of Sam and I's singles and the boys listened. When I finished I was breathing heavily. Looking everywhere but them. I fidget with my shirt and took short breaths.

"That was amazing." Alex whispered. I looked at them. Both wide eyed.

"You really think so? I've never sang for people. Live, like seeing their reaction. And to be honest it feels terrible." I was starting to calm down, but there was still this nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach.

"You sang beautiful Scar, I don't think I've ever heard someone sing like that before." Niall said.

"Why don't you let the world know it's you, and not Sam?" Alex wondered.

"Because I'm ugly." I answered straight away, not even thinking about it.

"But that's a stupid reason. You don't need to be pretty to preform." Niall commented. I thought about it.

"Sam told me you have to be pretty. Otherwise you will never make it." I said in a matter of fact tone. Niall raised his eyebrows.

"That's horrible. That's stupid. Sam's stupid. You shouldn't believe what she says." Alex said angrily. "I hate Sam."