Chapter 8

And finally, I made it to the end of the day of school. And believe me, today was a hassle. This year won't be too promising if things stay like this.

Hyunjin made sure to stay close to Felix after lunch break, hoping that my friend could serve as some kind of bodyguard to keep the girls away like a pest repeller. Unfortunately, he's just a small Australian bean that isn't very intimidating.

And even more unfortunate is that Felix used to be the center of attention too, a long time ago. With his handsome yet cute face, his deep-ass voice and Australian accent, girls had no reason not to love him.

Then add a new boy, a tall and incredulously handsome Korean boy to that and you have the most efficient formula to attract many girls. And that's exactly what happened today. It was a fiasco and there came no end to the endless stream of girls. Hyunjin even earned a nickname, the prince.

I tried to keep the girls away from them, I tried my hardest to save Felix from that. But is one girl able to keep away a small army of girls? No, she isn't. I found out soon enough and gave up, watching from afar how my orange-haired friend and his new companion were getting devoured by their fans.

The number of times I've heard them call him oppa in those high-pitched squealing voices is enough to make me want to vomit.

Now I'm standing by my now closed locker, waiting for Felix to return from the restroom so we can finally go home after this long and hectic day of school. I gently push my glasses up the bridge of my nose and check the time on my wristwatch.

4:45 PM, it reads.

I sigh. Felix is taking his time over there. I've been waiting here for over five minutes and I feel like I've been here long enough.

Covering up a huge yawn with my hand, I turn around to open my locker. Not because I need anything from inside but because I need to do something.

But then something slams to the locker next to mine with a loud and metallic thud. I yelp and spin around, only to lock eyes with Hwang Hyunjin. His hand is only a few inches away from my face, pressed against the yellow locker.

I gasp, his dark eyes strongly unsettling me as they stare right into mine. His shiny black hair falls over his forehead, brushing his eyebrows and covering small parts of his eyes. His chin is slightly tilted upwards in an angle that radiates arrogance and the corners of his mouth are curled up in a dangerous smirk. I can do nothing but stare at him in shock, petrified by his close proximity.

Felix, help me.

An unfamiliar tingling sensation awakes in the pit of my stomach as we continue to stare at each other. My heart is pounding at a dangerous rate and I take a deep breath to recollect myself. But the way Hyunjin is looking at me doesn't allow one to calm down.

The boy lightly cocks his head to the side, his hair cascading along with the movement and his brown eyes sparkling.

"Yah," he begins, his voice dangerously low. "I just noticed something."

His tongue glides over his bottom lip while his eyes never leave mine. I feel my knees growing weaker every second that passes and I feel like I have to look away for health reasons. But I just can't, I'm too mesmerized by his gaze and his actions.

"Chaelin and Hyunjin," he continues, almost humming. "Our names sound perfect together. Almost as if we're made for each other."

I just stare at him in disbelief, the cheesy line he just said pulling me out of that spellbinding atmosphere.

Hyunjin looks at me for another moment before he lets out a breathy and lighthearted giggle, his brown eyes turning into crescents as he smiles.

It's just a complete contradiction to how he was acting just a moment ago and I'm actually a bit lost and confused right now.

"I just had to do that," the boy in front of me chuckles, finally removing his arm from the locker next to my face.

As I remain silent, his smile falters and he looks at me with a slight hint of confusion written in his eyes. "C'mon, that was at least a bit funny, right?"

I just blink a few times, too stupefied by what just happened to give him a proper reaction. My heart is still beating uncontrollably and several alarms start ringing inside my head. Boy alarm. Boy alarm. Boy alarm. I should run, or at least scare him off. But nothing happens. I'm just standing here, breathing and blinking.

A small smile returns to Hyunjin's features as he slightly tilts his head. "You should smile more, or you'll get wrinkles like a caterpillar. See you tomorrow."

And with that, he turns on his heels and makes his way towards the exit of the school. I can't help but stare at his back as his figure shrinks into the distance.

Right after Hyunjin has disappeared, Felix pops up out of nowhere. His eyes are wide and he is looking in the same direction as I was just a moment ago.

"Chaelin," he starts. "What was that?"

"I don't know," I mutter, staring down at my feet and the tiled floor as the embarrassment finally takes over. My cheeks are glowing, my heart is still pounding madly and my face is most likely beet red. All sorts of emotions surge through my body right now. Anger, embarrassment, confusion and a lot of things I don't even recognize. 

"Are you okay?" Felix asks, looking at me with worry written in his eyes. "I'm serious, what happened? Did he ask you out or something? Please don't kill him."

"No, he-" I take a few deep breaths to keep my voice from shaking. You probably think that I'm overreacting and maybe I am. But this situation scared the hell out of me and I'm honestly not sure if I'm okay.

"He told me that if I didn't smile more, I'll get wrinkles like a caterpillar."

Felix looks absolutely lost for a second before he coughs. a cough that was obviously a chuckle in disguise. The amused twinkle in his eyes gives him away. "He has a point there, maybe you'll even turn green at some point."

"Felix!"

My friend flashes me a mischievous grin before he ducks away, swiftly avoiding my bag that I swung at him. Then he turns around and makes his way towards the school exit, his laughter echoing through the hallways. Sighing, I quickly follow after him.

But I'm not done with him yet.

--

Okay but Hyunjin's giggle is just so cute

💗