Chapter 20

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Chaelin what tf happened?!

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Why is Hyunjin crying?

2 missed calls from aWildFelixAppeared

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Yahhhh answer

5 missed calls from aWildFelixAppeared

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
aNsWeR

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Hyunjin is totally upset what did you do??

3 missed calls from aWildFelixAppeared

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Why aren't you replying?

[aWildFelixAppeared]:
Are you okay?

I lifelessly stare at the cellphone in my hand, reading through the messages from Felix. This is only a small part of them, the others have already disappeared off the screen and I don't scroll back. I just stare at the rectangular screen, glowing brightly in the dark bedroom.

The tears finally came to a halt a little while ago. Luck was on my side when I got home; my mom wasn't there -she's probably at a bar somewhere- so I didn't have to answer any questions and I went straight to my room. I crashed down onto my bed and I've been crying ever since.

Now the tears have stopped but the sticky dried trails are still on my cheeks, leaving an itchy sensation. My mouth is dry and my eyes are red and they sting. I feel miserable, even though I caused this all by myself.

I hate my mom, I hate the man I used to call my dad and I hate myself. What exactly did Hyunjin do to deserve this? It's not the first time I lash out a him when he's just trying to be nice but this time I went way too far.

And yet here I am, pitying myself instead.

Why does that boy have to keep trying? Why can't he just give up? Why does he keep approaching me, talking to me, no matter how many times I turn him down? Everything would be fine if he'd just stop trying and leaves me alone.

He most likely will after today.

My phone vibrates again and Felix' name is displayed on the screen. I doubt for a second, contemplating whether to pick up or not. He's probably mad at me and I don't know if I can handle that.

But the urge to hear his familiar deep voice is stronger and I slide the green symbol upwards, accepting the call.

"Thank goodness," Felix exclaims on the other side. "Your voicemail was getting lame."

I blink a few times, giving in to the immediate soothing effects his voice has. He doesn't sound mad, he sounds just like his usual self. And that's a relief.

"Are you alright, Chae?" he asks, his tone laced with concern. "What happened?"

"I'm fine," I whisper, even though I'm not entirely sure if I truly am. "I just... freaked out. Again."

"I shouldn't have left Hyunjin there with you," Felix mutters. "I know you don't want him near, I'm sorry."

"Don't be," I firmly reply. I don't want him to feel guilty, he didn't do anything wrong. "I'm just incapable of doing anything good."