Chapter 17

Saturday morning. I'm waiting near an old café just outside the shopping district of Seoul. It's located perfectly between the zoo, Hyunjin's home and the street Felix and I live in. Meeting up in front of my house wasn't an option. I didn't want my mom to see Hyunjin and I didn't tell her, either. I already have a hard time handling it, my mom would have a complete breakdown on spot.  It was a decision made on my own not to get involved with boys, but if I didn't decide on my own my mother would've forbidden it.

It's cold but the wind isn't as strong as the previous days and it doesn't look like it's going to rain for a change. The sky is free from clouds and a weak sun is shining reluctantly. Admittedly not with much strength but definitely there. The boys actually chose a good day to go to the zoo. 

Felix is waiting impatiently, tapping a rhythm on the street tiles to a point where it's getting annoying. But I'm used to it and when it comes to Felix, I'm rather tolerant. I know him, he can't sit still for longer than five minutes and asking him to be is pointless.  Hyunjin isn't here yet, hence why Felix is being impatient even though we were ten minutes early.

Maybe if he doesn't show up, I can enjoy a day at the zoo with Felix without freaking out the entire time. I'm not trying to be mean but it would genuinely make thing a lot easier and less worrisome.

"He's late," Felix mutters, pacing back and forth in front of me.

"He still has two full minutes to get here, pabo," I sigh.

I hardly finished my sentence before Felix jumps up with an excited "Hyung!" 

I look up, only to see Hyunjin approaching us. Even though he's clad in only black, he still manages to stand out from the crowd. And just the appearance of him, just seeing the boy, is enough to put me on sharp, to wake that feeling of unease. What on planet Earth am I doing, voluntarily going out with him?

Hyunjin greets us both with a quick bow, a habit of his that he sticks to, even though Felix told him countless times already to drop such formalities. Then he greets me with a reluctant smile and I softly bite my lower lip as I look away. I catch myself finding it harder to act cold towards him with every day that passes. Are the walls really that weak, to be broken down by a simple boy like him?

Maybe going with them was a bad idea. Maybe I should stay away from him as far as possible if my only defense is becoming futile. Even if my walls are crumbling, there's no way I let him come too near.

A moment of indecisiveness hangs in the air after I rejected Hyunjin's greeting before Felix decides to shrug it off and act like nothing serious happened, which is actually the case. They should start to worry when I would actually greet the boy back. Now that would be a serious situation.

"I guess we're good to go, then?" Felix cheerfully breaks the silence. He's eyeing both of us with an awkward smile and I can see him questioning whether it was a good idea to bring both of us or not.

Judging from the troubled look in his eyes, he probably decides on the latter.

I'm not here to ruin the day of my best friend so I wipe the frown off my face and nod enthusiastically. "Let's go visit your family, Felix. I heard they got some new Kangaroos there."

Hyunjin snorts and Felix gives me an unamused look before he turns on his heels and begins the thirty-minute walk to the Seoul Grand Park Zoo. Hyunjin takes a few quick steps to catch up with him while I keep my distance as I walk behind them.

It will be fine, I tell myself. As long as I keep my distance from Hyunjin and he respects that, everything will turn out well. I can still have fun with him around, as long as he minds his own business and doesn't try to approach me. He has Felix, they can goof around as much as they want. They don't need me for that.

The entire walk, the boys are happily chatting away while I'm walking behind them in silence. I don't mind, it's quiet and peaceful just like I desired. They both would look over their shoulders occasionally. Hyunjin would observe me curiously before he averts his gaze again. Felix mainly to check whether I'm still there or not.

He's probably afraid that I might regret my desiscion to join them and that I'm planning to ditch as soon as I get the chance. Oh, how wrong he is. I love going to the zoo. Not only because I like animals, but also because it's the only good childhood memory I cherish. If he really thinks I would miss a change to go there, he doesn't know me.

As we're getting closer to the zoo, it's getting busier. It's obvious that we aren't the only ones here to catch the last rays of sun before the winter starts. Many families with children are on their way to the zoo and I gulp. Children are yet another thing I don't like and rather stay away from.

But I made a promise to myself. I'll stay in the background today, letting them have a fun day without giving myself the chance to accidentally ruin it with my short temper and my harsh way of selfdefense.

And I will keep that promise, no matter what.

--

It actually makes me sad to write about Chaelin being mean to Hyunjin lmao

Don't hurt our precious Hyunjin ;_;  Must protecc

So I updated six times within three days and I'm shook