Chapter 18

"Wow, would you look at that," I say innocently, pointing towards a small group of Kangaroos in their habitat, created to resemble the Australian wildlands. "It's Felix' family."

The Kangaroos are all hopping around lazily, interacting with each other and paying no mind to the many visitors that are watching them. Cameras flash, children yell their lungs out and yet, they are completely unbothered.

"Very funny, Chae," Felix huffs while lifting his phone to snap a picture of the animals. "Have some respect for these native Australians."

His comment causes me to snort in laughter and I quickly duck away to ditch the attack that follows.

Today is fun, more than I thought it would be. The weather is good, compared to the previous days. Perfect for a day at the zoo, if you'd ask me. It's relatively soft outside for this time of the year and the sun is shining bravely in the pale blue sky.

Even better, Hyunjin keeps his desired distance. He's mostly goofing around with Felix, snapping weird pictures of each other with animals in the background and it's actually fun to watch them as they're having a good time.

Unfortunately, my friend doesn't forget about me and I'm a part of many pictures as well, covering my face with my hands or pulling up my hood to remain anonymous. But being as persistent as he is, he manages to take a few pictures of me where I'm charging at the camera, mouth open embarrassingly wide in an outraged comment, threatening him to stop.

Hyunjin's laughter is ever present in the background and I learned that he's actually really outgoing once he's feeling comfortable and is having a good time.

He laughs at the funny moments Felix and I share but luckily, doesn't interfere with them. It's like he finally got the message and I'm feeling relieved. Maybe I can finally continue without being harsh to him, I'll surely feel a lot better then.

Felix' attack subsides and with the remnants of a smile still on our faces, we continue our way. Except for Felix, who is sulking as he follows closely behind us.

Despite the many visitors, under which many hyperactive children, it's rather peaceful and I feel somewhat at ease. My mind is calm and for once, I don't feel like freaking out despite the fact Hyunjin is walking next to me. There's no pressure, nothing to trigger the stress and thus an outburst. The fact that I'm able to relax, even with Hyunjin around, is a miracle.

Soon, we pass by the outside area of the monkey enclosure. This has always been one of my favorite habitats of this zoo, probably because it's basically a huge playground for the inhabitants, a group of gibbons. Three massive trees are placed in a triangle, completely stripped off their leaves and most of the branches. Instead, many sturdy ropes, wooden platforms, hammocks, and even a complete treehouse are attached to the trees.

As a child, I always wanted to play there, too.

The monkeys seem to be enjoying themselves as they goof around their habitat, swinging through the trees using the ropes and their strong arms, playing chase and defying gravity as they go. Except for one, probably an elder who is sitting on a wooden platform, quietly observing the turmoil around him.

"Yah, Chaelin," Felix calls out after the three of us watched to monkeys for a while. "I think that one over there really resembles you, don't you think?" He points at the elder monkey on its platform with a smug grin.

Hyunjin gasps, obviously trying his best to contain his laughter. But he gives up when Felix bursts out in laughter and soon, they're both clutching their stomach. A little bit exaggerated, if you'd ask me. I just watch them for a moment, not knowing what to do with those idiots. But then an idea pops up; a little revenge won't hurt.

"Felix-ah," I nonchalantly say, interrupting the boys' laughing fit and pulling them back to reality. Felix takes a few deep breaths to calm down and fixes his now messy hair before he finally looks at me.

"There's something on your face," I tell my friend, gradually inching closer towards him. He eyes me suspically but lets me continue. A big mistake, he'll realize within a few seconds.

As I'm close enough, I flick his forehead and retreat immediately. Felix winces and jumps backwards to prevent me from doing it again and I snicker. "It was pain."

This time, Hyunjin doesn't even bother to hold back his laughter and for once, I laugh along with him. Felix pouts, giving Hyunjin a look of hurt and betrayal.

"Hyung," he whines.

Hyunjin pretends to think for a moment, his index finger lightly tapping his chin. Then he cocks his head to the side, giving Felix a innocent smile. "Just for the record, I think that orange-haired gibbon looks more like you."

Felix chokes on his saliva and the three of us all turn to look at the animals once more. And indeed, there's an orange one casually hanging upside-down from one of the ropes while preening another ape sitting on a platform below.

"For once, I have to admit that you're absolutely right, Hwang," I state.

Felix momentarely forgets that he's insulted and offended as he gives me a surprised look and Hyunjin's eyes widen, before he quickly recomposures himself and gives me a small smile. "What an honor, Lee."

After giving him his small moment of glory, I quickly distance myself again and look away. They both don't seem to mind, probably satisfied with the fact I actually said something nice to Hyunjin for the first time since he came here.

Be proud of me, Felix.

I watch how the raven-haired boy tries his best to cheer up my friend that went back to sulking again after being compared to a gibbon, seemingly forgotten that he did the same to me just a moment ago.

Under the almost warm rays of the sun, with the soft breeze and laughter of children around, I'm really enjoying my day.

I think this is yet another good memory at Seoul Grand Park Zoo.

--

Okay but-