Chapter 39

The next morning, a loud bang harshly awakes me from my sleep. Within a blink of an eye, I sit upright, scanning my bedroom with wide eyes. Nothing that I see makes sense, my vision still blurred by sleep. I sleepily raise my hands, rubbing my eyes to hopefully clear my vision.

As I open my eyes again, I'm met with a pair of wide brown eyes accompanied by freckles and a creepy wide grin that freaks me out. Too close, all my insides scream. I slowly back off, but relax as a few tufts of radiant orange hair poke from under the person's hood.

"Chaellie~" Felix squeals, his elbows planted on my mattress as he leans in close, his creepy grin never faltering. To make his appearance even more extraneous, he wiggles his eyebrows in a suggestive way. "I expect details."

"What exactly is your problem?" I scoff, pulling up my blankets as a defensive shield, separating me from that weirdo I call my friend. "Are you still in your right mind or what?"

"No," the boy denies, finally leaning back and giving me some space. "I am out of my mind. You went out with Hyunjin hyung and he is happy. I swear, he wouldn't shut up about it and now I'm freaking happy too."

"Eh- what?" I chime, giving my friend a puzzled look. "You really had to scare me for that? For goodness sake, let me sleep next time." Groaning overdramatically, I let myself fall backward on my soft mattress.

Felix clicks his tongue in disapproval. "Not so fast, I want details."

"Fine," I huff, tugging up the blankets so they would cover my face. "You're such a persistent brat."

"Cut me some slack, my ship is finally happening," Felix protests. "I won't mention how much you freak out when it comes to shipping idols."

"It was a nice stroll to the small restaurant, I really like walking through the rain," I sarcastically begin, ignoring Felix' statement because I know how freaking true it is. But my tone quickly becomes softer. "The restaurant he picked out was really pretty and he suggested hotteok, which was really good."

"Great," my best friend nods. "Go on, how was it with Hyunjin hyung?"

"It was fun," I admit, causing another weird squeal to erupt from the boy. "He was really nice and I like his sense of humor, even though it's scaring me sometimes because... But I uh- enjoyed dinner with him. A lot, maybe?" I nervously chuckle.

"This is awesome," Felix gushes, his eyes wrinkling as he grins widely. "Darn, I feel like I should do a happy dance."

I slowly sit up, giving my friend a bored look. "Then do it," I shrug. "As long as it's not-"

"Fortnite dance!" the orange-haired boy happily exclaims, moving his arms and body to a melody that only exists inside his head.

"Get out," I hiss, pointing a finger at the door. "I need to change. Who let you in, anyway? My mom is still asleep and-"

"I know what the garden gnome hides," Felix smugly states, taking a silver key from his pocket and twirling it around his finger on his way out.

"This is burglary!" I scold the boy but all I hear after the closing of the door is a soft chuckle.

I can't help but laugh at the crazy antics of my friend as I listen to his footsteps going down the stairs.

I kick the blankets off my body and swiftly get up from the soft mattress. I don't need to change much, I forgot to take off my button-up and plaid skirt yesterday and I guess I'll have to do another day with them since my other pair is somewhere around the washing machine.

I quickly grab a new pair of stockings and my uniform blazer before I leave my room in a hurry and rush down the stairs, where I meet Felix who is lazily hanging on the couch in the living room.

"Yah!" I call out.  "Get up, we're leaving."

Felix jumps up immediately, his bag already slung over his shoulder. He eyes me innocently but I know it's exactly the opposite when that happens.

"What?" I cautiously ask.

"Someone's eager to see Hyunjin hyung again," he smugly states, softly nudging my arm as he walks past me.

"I just don't want to be late," I defend, but I find myself looking away nevertheless.

"I can't believe this is happening," Felix proudly tells me, following me around the house as I collect my stuff. "I'm so happy."

I stop in my tracks, my bag freezing mid-air as I shoot him a warning glare. "I swear I disown you if you ever mention the Fortnite dance again."

Then I walk away towards the kitchen, leaving my best friend behind with a pout on his lips. I glance around the kitchen, hoping to find any sort of fruit to take with me. But not much to my surprise, there's nothing and I return to Felix empty-handed.

"Let's go," I say, grabbing his hand and dragging the sulking boy behind me.

I quickly slip on my shoes and coat, before grabbing my scarf from the drawer and wrapping it around my neck securely. I don't even bother to take my gloves with me. Just stuffing my hands into my pocket should do it.

"Key," I demand before Felix can dash outside.

The boy looks at me in confusion for a moment, before stuffing his hand inside his pocket and hands me the object. I quickly lock the door behind us and then I kneel down, lifting the garden gnome and placing the key back in its original place.

"Now we're good to go."

With that, I turn around and walk off. Felix heaves out an exaggerated sigh before he follows behind me.

"I still wonder why you're so happy," he mutters. "Women are so unpredictable."

"Just enjoy the moment," I shrug, my grin hidden under my scarf.

"I'm positive it's Hyunjin hyung," the boy huffs out.

And maybe he's right.

The walk to school is quiet, but not in an awkward or bothersome way. It's pleasant, both busy inside our minds. I'm not even sure what my mind is going on about, but I'm pretty sure Felix is busy contemplating in which way my good mood is related to Hyunjin.

As we near the school, a familiar figure with a colorful scarf is waiting for us outside the school's main gate. I feel my heart rate increase involuntarily as my eyes meet his. Felix enthusiastically skips towards the boy, not forgetting to shoot me a smirk before meeting his hyung on the sidewalk.

I have yet to decide what to do with the embarrassment as I join the two, hoping that they will blame the chilly air for my reddened cheeks. I greet Hyunjin with an awkward smile -one that he brightly returns- before we all enter the school grounds together.

I wish my life would always be this good.