Chapter 42

In the end, both of us didn't want to leave right away.

So we didn't.

It's almost as if the cold doesn't exist anymore as we sit on the bench, illuminated by the dim streetlights. Time is passing, it's getting later and later.

The night proceeds as we sit under the dark sky. Clouds pass by, illuminated by the full moon that proudly occupies its place up high.

A soft breeze is blowing, rustling the fallen leaves that dwell on the streets and causing the trees to sway gently.

"You still didn't tell me why you're out here," Hyunjin speaks up after a while, breaking the peaceful silence between us.

He looks at me, his eyes soft and tone careful. It's like he knows it has something to do with my mom again, and how it's a touchy subject that can trigger many different reactions from me.

I feel a sense of safety when Hyunjin is being so careful with me. It means that he cares.

At least that's what I hope.

I hum softly, gazing into the distance without looking at something in particulat. "Nothing serious," I shrug. "My mom kicked me out of the house to get her a new lighter from the convenience store. But then I got distracted."

I look up and my eyes meet with Hyunjin's. As the corners of his lips curl up into an apologetic smile, my cheeks flare red and I look away. His soft laughter sounds through the darkness, a sound I got to admire so much.

"Your dog is cute," I mutter, stubbornly looking down at my knees.

Instantly, I hear a rustling next to me and before I I even realize what's happening, a black and white fluffball is gently placed onto my lap. The dog yawns before settling itself and sighing in contentment.

"Kkami seems to like you, too," Hyunjin states, smiling down at his now sleeping pet, its little chin peacefully resting on my arm. 

I gently stroke its little head and I can't help but fidget with its fluffy ears a little. I've always wanted a dog, myself. Ever since my dad left and my mom, I've always been lonely and I dog would've made a perfect friend. But my mom was against it. She's against everything that might make me feel better, or so it seems.

"You're looking sad," Hyunjin mutters, the unspoken question yet evident in his tone; What's up?

"It's nothing," I smile dismissively. "Just the usual sadness that comes with having a mom like mine."

"It shouldn't be usual, though," the boy next to me comments and I smile bitterly.

"Too bad, it still is for me."

Hyunjin remains silent for a while and I don't blame him, I wouldn't know how to respond either. I know I'm in a weird situation and standard responses don't apply here. Also, Hyunjin isn't the kind of person that would shrug his shoulders and say sucks to be you or that's sad.

"Hey, this might sound weird but-" he pauses for a while and I give him a questioning look. The boy seems to doubt for a moment but then he looks up again.

"Do you think I could help to fight that sadness?"

He lightly cocks his head to the side, giving me the most serious expression I've ever seen from him. There's not a sign telling that he's joking, making fun of me. All I see in his brown eyes is sincerity.

His words cause my heart rate to speed up alarmingly, a tingling feeling emerging in my chest. His eyes lay heavy on me and I can't stand to face him anymore. A lump forms in my throat and I swallow thickly. My cheeks are on fire, even in the cold night air.

Kkami seems to notice my uneasiness and he lifts its tiny head, his brown canine eyes looking up at me.

This isn't good.

I'm getting a heart attack.

What is this?

The silence remains and I swallow again. I have to say something, I can't leave him hanging like this.

Still refusing to look at him, I take a deep breath.

"I, uh- y-you already do so," I pipe, my voice sounding foreign under the strong influence of my sudden nervousness.

Hyunjin breathes out an awkward laugh. "I said something weird, didn't I?"

"N-No, not at all," I quickly tell him, not wanting him to feel bad because of me ever again. "Thank you, actually."

The boy visibly relaxes, and so does his dog. But for me, the damage has already been done. I can't seem to get rid of the embarrassment anymore and my heart keeps pounding madly.

"Hey uh, it's getting late," I state, gently grabbing Kkami and handing him over to Hyunjin again. "I should go, or my mom will probably freak out again."

"Wouldn't want that to happen," Hyunjin agrees, and he quickly clicks a leash to Kkami's collar.

I bury my chin into the fur collar of my coat, ready to walk off. But my movement didn't go unnoticed by the raven-haired boy.

"Take my scarf," he offers, unwrapping the colorful item from his neck. "It's cold."

I take it from him, but it remains useless in my hands. "What about you?" I ask, but he laughs it off.

"You take it, Chaelin," he shrugs. "You really look like you need it."

Slightly nodding, I finally wrap the scarf around my neck, involuntarily inhaling the scent on it. His scent.

It smells good.

Hyunjin smiles brightly. "A bit of color looks good on you," he tells me. "Maybe you should keep it."

"Maybe," I mutter, my voice muffled by the fluffy material. "See you tomorrow, Hyunjin."

"See you tomorrow," the boy replies, and then we separate ways.

I dig my hands into my pockets and walk off. Now that I don't have to face him anymore, the redness on my cheeks finally subdues a little.

It's a silent walk home, but it's a good moment to relax again. My heart calms down, the storm in my head finding peace.

As I push the key inside the lock on our front door, a realization hits me like a rock.

I didn't get a lighter for my mom.

Already fearing the conflict with my mom, I hastily open the door. I don't even bother to take off my coat and shoes as I rush upstairs to my room.

I vaguely hear my mom shout after me; Chaelin, where is my lighter? Guess she has to use the stove a little longer. Or go and buy a lighter herself.

If Hyunjin wants to be my happiness, I don't nees to please her anymore, right?

--

Writing during Biology class. Oops.