Chapter 55

"Where exactly are we going?" my mom asks suspiciously, eyeing her surroundings as we enter the large neighborhood Hyunjin lives in.

She's been like this ever since I got her to leave home; continuously asking questions about where and who we are going to meet. It's understandable -I would want to know, too- but it's one of the things Hyunjin and I didn't talk about; what to reply to questions like this?

"Just somewhere," I vaguely reply for the umpteenth time as I walk a little ahead of her. It surprises me that she's still following me, even though I only give meaningless responses to her urging questions.

But what am I supposed to say? Oh hi mom you are about to meet my boyfriend's mother who could hopefully be some kind of moral support for you because she went through the same. That's basically what we will tell her there but I feel like she wouldn't cause a scene when we're inside a stranger's house. I also feel like Hyunjin's mom will approach her in a more sensible way.

"You're acting strange," my mom mutters accusingly. But that's the first kind-of complaint I've heard so far and we're nearly there.

"I know, I'm sorry," I admit, even though I'm not feeling sorry at all. All I'm feeling at te moment is fear. This might just go terribly wrong and I wouldn't know how to fix things if they would escalate even further.

Another rush of fear surges through my body as Hyunjin's house comes in sight. I keep my pace steady as I march forward, my step not faltering as I walk up to a certain front door.

I quickly readjust the colorful scarf around my neck, more as a nervous habit than anything else. Even my mom seems nervous, cautiously taking in her surroundings.

Before she has a chance to run away, I ring the doorbell and a soft echo can be heard from the other side of the door. And then the front door swings open, revealing the friendly smile of Hyunjin's mom. A sense of relief comes over me almost instantly. I don't have to do this on my own.

"Chaelin-ah, come in!" she greets me and I set foot inside the house, motioning my mom to follow us.

Her face is one big question mark as we walk through the hallway and step into the giant kitchen. I can see her thinking; who is this woman and what is my business with her?

"Please sit down," Hyunjin's mom invites us and we both take out a chair to sit on. The tension is rising, as well as my fear, both fueled by the uneasiness that radiates off my mom.

"My name is Hwang Hyemin, please call me Hyemin," the woman introduces herself with a small bow. "Would you like something to drink?"

"Lee Chunja," my mom hesitantly replies. "Thank you, but I'm good."

A moment later, Hyunjin's mom sits down opposite of us with a steaming mug of coffee clasped in her hands. Her smile is soft yet serious as she looks up at us, probably hoping to make my mom a little more at ease.

The tension is still as sharp as a knife.

"Why am I here?" my mom warily asks, glancing around the kitchen as if it would give her the answer. "And how do you know that woman?"

I cringe a little at her rude words but Hyunjin's mom seems unfazed by them. My boyfriend didn't get his patience and perseverance from a stranger, that much is obvious.

"She's the mother of someone," I vaguely reply. If I'd tell her she's the mother of my boyfriend, the kitchen would be too small.

The idea that Hyunjin is upstairs makes me restless; I wish I could just go to him at this very moment, instead of sitting here in the kitchen with the air laced with tension.