Chapter 11

Somewhere around ten minutes later, Felix is sitting next to me in science class, sulking over his loss. Hyunjin is sitting at the other end of the classroom, surrounded by my female classmates.

Felix failed.

He didn't succeed to free Hyunjin from their grip. According to him, he didn't even get close to his target and he had to abort the mission and retreat to the classroom without the boy.

I don't really mind, to be honest.

It's not like I want him to be devoured by those girls. It's scarring and it will drive you crazy over time. I understand why Felix wants to save him; he's been through this as well. This is just way more convenient for me. I do wish him luck, though.

"I failed," Felix groans, raking his fingers through his bright orange hair in utter frustration. "What kind of friend am I?"

I sigh and roll my eyes at my friend's overly dramatic behavior. He's exaggerating greatly, but that's Lee Felix for you.

"Let me remind you that you only met him yesterday," I whisper, trying not to disturb the lecture of our science teacher. "Friendship needs a bit more time to develop."

It's a good thing that we're sitting in the back of the classroom; Mrs. Yang is completely oblivious to our conversation and we can discuss this without being interrupted.

"Look," Felix explains, his eyes serious. "If love on first sight is a thing, why not friendship on first sight?"

"That's ridiculous," I scoff. "Friendship is all about getting to know each other, that's impossible at first sight. Love is...different."

"I think it's possible," Felix shrugs, still keeping his voice down. "Plus, I can use a friend with the same amount of testosterone. You know, bromance?"

I almost choke on my saliva and the entire class turns to look at me. Including Hyunjin, who seems to understand that we were talking about him. Our eyes lock, and he gives me a small smile before he sits straight again.

I quickly look away, too embarrassed by all the eyes trained on me. That's when I notice the little twinkle in Felix' eyes. He was just kidding. A small relieved breath escapes from my lips. My friend really gives me a heart attack sometimes.

"Can someone please tell my what's going on in the back?" the shrill voice of Mrs. Yang questions. "It's the Lee's again, huh?"

The Lee's. The dynamic duo, well known for random outbursts of laughter and agitated whispers and exchanges of strange but meaningful glances. Also known as Felix and Chaelin, Chaelix, whatever.

"Sorry ma'am," I apologise, slightly bowing my head. At the same time, I kick Felix' leg under the table. I'm the silent one but Felix always provokes me to burst out in a laughing fit that disturbs the lecture. He's a smear on my reputation.

"Yeah, also sorry," Felix adds with a quick bow of his head. His bright orange hair cascades with the movement, forming a small curtain in front of his eyes as he looks up again.

His full and wavy hair may look like a blessing but it has a will on its own and ignores all attempts of Felix to style or simply control it.

Mrs. Yang gives us a last suspicious look before she strides back to the front of the classroom to continue her lecture.

"A polar molecule with two or more polar bonds must have a geometry which is asymmetric in at least one direction, so that the bond dipoles do not cancel each other," she explains while drawing something that doesn't make sense to me on the whiteboard.

As she turns around to face the class, she's met with a classroom full of confused and puzzled faces, glassy eyes and mouths agape.

Mrs. Yang purses her mouth, glancing around the classroom with the hope of finding at least one student that seems to understand her babbling about polarity.

"Are there any questions?" she asks, her voice tired and expression telling that she's done with us incompetent students.

Almost every student raises their hand and the shoulders of our teacher slumb down, her confident stance dissipating into nothing.

"Mr. Han," she sighs, allowing a random student to ask their question.

The boy's hand drops down as he speaks up. "Can you please repeat all that in a way we can understand it?"

Some students try to stay polite and cover their mouths to hide a chuckle. Some students erupt in a spontanious coughing fit and some don't even bother to hide their laughter.

Along with Hyunjin, Felix and I are basically the only ones that remain silent and choose not to make fun of our teacher. I mean, it's not like she can pick what she teaches us and she's just doing what she has to do. And she's most likely not doing this on purpose.

"I'm sorry," she muses, her lips still pursed. "This is the only explaination possible. There's no easy explaination since this is a complicated matter."

"Oops, that's a zero on the next test," a girl pouts. "I wish they had better teachers."

Mrs. Yang falls silent, looks around the classroom in defeat. "Class dismissed," she croaks out before she spins around and frantically stuffs her books inside her bag.

Various students snort in laughter before they collect their stuff and leave the science lab as quickly as possible.

Felix and I do the same, apart from the vile laughter and the mocking. Mrs. Yang is always the sufferer of this class' childish behavior and I always feel bad for her.

As soon as we're outside, Hyunjin joins Felix and me before the girls even have a change to claim him again. His brows are knitted together into a frown and the usually present evidence of a smile is nowhere to be seen.

"That was-" he starts.

"-extremely rude," Felix and I agree in unison.

It's not the first time something like this happens, and Mrs. Yang is definitely not the only victim. Most of our classmates are fine but some of them are exessively rude towards teachers and staff, just for the heck of it.

"Welcome in our class, hyung," Felix sighs. "Better get used to it soon, no one knows how to act like a normal student in here."

--

Lol I'm not that smart I just copy pasted that from wikipedia. I don't understand shit about science and the lecture about polarity almost caused a system faillure.