Chapter 36

"I've discovered a nice place near the school," Hyunjin enthusiastically tells me as we walk side by side over the sidewalk. "You probably know it already but everything is new to me since I just moved here and-"

The boy has been like this ever since I agreed on grabbing a bite with him after detention. He's obviously relieved that I didn't leave him hanging, resulting in him acting cheerful and free.

"Probably not," I reply. "There's only one restaurant I visit sometimes."

My tone turns bitter at that. I visit that place more than I should, mostly when my mom refuses to prepare a proper meal for the umpteenth time that week. That's basically the only reason for me to eat somewhere nice; I never did it just to enjoy and have a good time.

Hyunjin seems to notice the subtle change in my tone and he shoots me a look of concern. The genuine worry in his eyes surprises me, but before I can check if it's really there, he returns to his cheerful self again.

"I'm sure you'll like it," he confidently states, and I hastily follow after him as he suddenly starts to walk faster. Apparently, he really likes the place he's got in mind.

It's one of the things I admire about that boy. Once something he really likes is involved, he turns into this carefree, almost boyishly happy person. He seems to enjoy everything that life gives him. Something I could definitely learn a lot from.

It starts to rain, the threatening grey clouds finally releasing their heavy load. But nothing, not even the rain seems to bother Hyunjin.

I, on the other hand, am not so fond of rain and I quickly pull up my hood to block out at least a bit of the small drops pouring down.

"There it is," Hyunjin announces after only a minute, pointing at a small shop at the corner of the street.

The Silver Dragon, the black curly letters above the entrance read. I've never seen this place, but I don't come in this part of Seoul a lot.

"It looks nice," I remark, and Hyunjin nods enthusiastically before entering the small building.

I follow him to a table for two in the back of the restaurant and once we sit down, I let my eyes wander around the interior, taking in every detail.

The place is small and cozy, the atmosphere warm and inviting. The dim light coming from fairy lights and candles cause you to feel comfortable immediately and I can't help but feel at home at this place.

The walls are decorated with paintings of beautiful silver dragons from old Korean myths, the flames they spit painted in radiant colors.

I already love this place and I almost feel bad for not knowing about its existence before.

"You like it, don't you?"

I look up and my eyes meet with Hyunjin's soft brown ones. His face is illuminated by the dim lights surrounding us, making his features soft as he gently looks at me.

"I do," I admit, smiling softly as I look at the dragon-shaped candle holder between us.

Then a waiter approaches us, handing us two menus with a polite bow before heading off to welcome other guests.

"It feels like we're on some kind of fancy dinner," I chuckle as I study the menu in my hands.

Even the menu is beautiful and it matches the restaurant's decor. The cover is black fine leather with a silver dragon on it and even on the inside, the dragon theme continues.

"I know," Hyunjin admits, looking at me with serious eyes. "I'm sorry if it makes you uncomfortable."

"Don't be, it's okay," I reassure him, and the boy instantly relaxes.

Looking around the restaurant once more, I continue. "I never eat out just for fun, you know. I only do that when my mom refuses to cook something decent and I'm always alone. So the idea of having a fancy dinner with someone is really fun for a change."

Hyunjin slightly cocks his head to the side, his brown eyes searching mine. "Even if it's with me?"

"If not, I wouldn't be sitting here, huh?" I mutter, turning away from his gaze and opening the menu in front of me. Sitting here alone with him is one thing, looking in his eyes and getting that weird feeling is still a bit too much for me.

"I thought that maybe you felt forced because of Felix and-"

"Yah," I interrupt him, gaining a surprised look from the boy opposite of me. "You out of all people should know that I have no problems with turning down someone if I don't want them near."

Hyunjin laughs humorlessly at my comment. "Ah, you're right. I've experienced it, how could I forget."

I give him a puzzled look, unsure of what to do with the sudden sarcasm. But as I'm about to question him, the corners of his mouth curl up and an innocent smile appears on his face. Every worry about me doing something wrong disappear into nothing after seeing that smile and I fight the urge to smile back.

"Maybe we should uh, order food?" I stammer, being more caught off-guard than I should allow myself to.

The boy's eyes widen slightly. "Oh uh, right. We should," he agrees before grabbing the menu and hiding it.

I take a deep breath to calm myself down. My cheeks are burning and I can only hope the high temperature inside the building is the one to blame. In order to distract myself from the sudden pounding in my ribcage, I let my eyes wander over the many dishes offered by The Silver Dragon.

"Hyunjin," I call out after staring at the menu for a while. "What is hotteok?"

Hyunjin slowly lowers the menu, shooting me a confused look. "Y-You don't know?"

"Well, my mom obviously never made it," I dryly respond. "So no, I have no idea what it is."

"Pancakes," the boy explains, his eyes lighting up again. "Really sweet pancakes. It's good, you should try it."

As if on cue, a waiter appears next to our table, wearing a black apron with a silver dragon embroidered on it. With his notebook and a pen ready, he greets us with a polite bow. "Good afternoon, could I take your orders, please?"

"Hotteok," I quickly reply. I almost forgot about my hunger because of everything, but a loud growl coming from my stomach reminded me.

"Hotteok for me too, please," Hyunjin adds with a polite smile, being way more sensible as I am.

The waiter quickly scribbles something down in his notebook before looking at us with a friendly smile. "Your orders will be ready soon." With that, he walks off to the next table, ready to take their orders. 

With the waiter gone, I lean back in my chair and look at Hyunjin with a small grin. "That hotteok better be really good, Hyunjinnie," I jokingly warn him. "If not, I'll hold you responsible."

"You won't be disappointed," he replies, mirroring my grin. His tone is confident, just like his relaxed grin and the way he slowly leans backward without ever breaking eye contact. "Let's make a bet, I pay for your meal if you don't like it."

He extends his arm over the table and I reach out to grab his hand, sealing the deal.

I'm glad I accepted his offer to eat dinner together. It's fun, relaxed. The absence of tension between us is refreshing and I almost feel good being around him for a change. I look up, stealing a glance at how he's taking in his surroundings with a small smile playing on his lips.

Scratch the almost, being around him just feels good.

--

The first chapter of Hyunjin and Chaelin together as friends, I'm happy XD