Chapter 29

"I think we're done," Felix states, wiping some sweat off his forehead and glancing around the kitchen.

Hyunjin nods, peeling off his rubber gloves and throwing them into the congested trash bin.

And indeed, the kitchen is neat and clean again, looking almost exactly like how it did before my mom trashed the place. Of course, some items are missing. Lots of things didn't survive my mom's drunken rage and had to be thrown away since there was no point in keeping them any longer. I just hope my mom doesn't get mad when she finds out.

Every single shard is gone, the puddles and stains on the tiles are cleaned up and Hyunjin even went as far as fixing the cupboard door that was disjointed. The kitchen counter looks organized again and so does the refridgerator and everything else.

Most of the work was done by the boys and they did a great job. They accomplished this within only two hours, which is insane when you realize how much of a chaos it was.

"Thanks guys," I mutter. There's no way I could've managed this mess without them. If it wasn't for them, I probably would still sit on the cold floor while bawling my eyes out.

"No problem, Chaelin," Felix says, shrugging it of like it's nothing. "That's what friends are for."

"I uh, have no idea what I am to you but I'm glad I could help," Hyunjin adds, awkwardly scratching the back of his neck.

His words make me wonder for a moment. What exactly is Hyunjin to me? I don't think calling him a friend feels okay yet but at least he has gotten closer than any boy before him. And I'm kind of okay with him being in this position. 

"I don't know either," I admit, awkwardly staring down at the white tiles. "But you've gotten closer than any boy before and I must give you credits for that."

The raven-haired boy lets out a soft light at my remark and I can't help to smile a little myself. As I look up again, my eyes meet with Felix', who is observing us with a satisfied grin.

"You're acting creepy again, Lix," Hyunjin sighs, shaking his head a little.

"Can't help it," Felix counters, the creepy grin never faltering. "I'm just so proud of my little Chaelin. I mean, look at her."

My friend inches closer and pinches my cheeks while making weird uwu sounds. Hyunjin's bright laughter fills the kitchen and I duck away, my face flushed with embarrassment.

"Yah!" I exclaim, covering my cheeks with my hands and shooting Felix an offended glare.

My outraged state sends both the boys into a fit of laughter and not long after, they're clutching their stomachs for dear life. I just look at them, unsure of what to do or think. These boys are so extra sometimes. I don't even know what they're laughing about. But the occasional glance they would steal at me before heaving over again makes me suspect that I'm the one they're laughing at. And that thought embarrasses me even more.

It's already getting dark outside. The streetlights flicker on, just as the lights behind the windows. Dinner time must be getting close. It was already half past three when the boys arrived and we took our sweet time cleaning everything. As if on cue, my stomach grumbles and I can only how hungry they must be.

"Stop laughing right now or you won't be getting any food!" I yell and both the boys freeze, silence filling the kitchen. The silence almost feels unnatural after the sound of their laughter filling the room for so long.

"Food?" Felix repeats, his chest still heaving as he tries to catch his breath.

"Yeah, unless you don't want to eat," I shrug. "It's not much, I can only prepare instant noodles since no one ever taught me how to cook." Letting out a bitter laugh, I walk over to one of the cupboards that came out unharmed and grab three packages of noodles. "But everyone likes noodles, right?"

Hyunjin seems a bit uncomfortable but Felix happily nods and I pour some water into the kettle to heat it up. The kettle was one of the things that fell victim to my mom's rage. But fortunately, only the plastic handle broke off and it still works.

"Hey uh," Hyunjin starts as I wait for the water to boil. I glance over my shoulder to meet his gaze, telling him to continue. "Shouldn't you be looking for your mom? I mean-"

"No use," I cut him off. "Even if I would find her, she'll run off as soon as she sees me. She's probably with one of her alcohol buddies at a bar and I honestly don't mind anymore."

The boy seems a little taken aback by my reply and I totally understand that. This isn't a situation that's easy to understand for outsiders, especially for a boy that just met me. Even Felix doesn't understand everything and he's been there all the time.

The kettle clicks and I carefully pour the steaming hot water over the noodles before handing the cups and a set of chopsticks to the boys. The three of us slump down on a chair at the kitchen table and we all eat our small meal in silence.

It's weird how Hyunjin is inside my house and how I don't think of him as a threat. Tolerating him around me is one thing, but the boy being inside my house is something of another level. I didn't even invite him here and yet, I'm accepting his presence. I might even appreciate that he came here with Felix to check on me.

Not long ago, I was close to hating his guts and he was nothing more than a persistent brat to me. And now he's here, sitting at the dining table in my house eating noodles with us. Some things escalate quickly and this is definitely one of them.

"Hyunjin," I call out as I finished my noodles, grabbing the boy's attention. He lightly cocks his head and gives me a questioning look and I continue with a sigh. "Maybe you should go."

My remark clearly confuses him. I see his eyes widen slightly, not understanding where this is coming from all of a sudden. I can see him thinking; but everything went so well between us. I can't help but smile a little.

"I don't want to risk my mom seeing you if she decides to come home suddenly," I explain and the look in Hyunjin's eyes softens a bit. "My mom would freak out if she'd find out that I'm bringing a boy close to me or my family."

"I understand," the boy replies and he quickly raises from his seat. He glances around the kitchen once more, probably admiring the results of his hard work before saying goodbye to Felix, who surely isn't leaving his noodles behind.

The silence is a bit awkward as I watch Hyunjin slipping on his shoes. I follow his movements as he pulls on his winter coat and his scarf and when he slings his bag over his shoulder. Then he turns to me and our eyes meet.

"Thanks for the food," he says with a small bow of his head.

"F-Friends don't do formalities," I scoff, unable to look at him any longer. I'm not entirely sure, but I think friend is the word closest to what Hyunjin is to me right now.

The smile the boy gives me after that is bright enough to light up the dark night sky on it's own.

"Hyunjin, thank you for everything today."

My feelings are in conflict with my rational side. The alarm bells inside my head are ringing, a deafening sound on this peaceful evening. The longer I look at the smiling boy in front of me, the louder they get. But the part of me that wants to fight against these unnatural becomes smaller, day by day.

"And thank you for being here, too."

"That's what friends are for," he replies with a smug grin that makes me laugh. "See you tomorrow, Chaelin."

And with that, Hyunjin walks off with a small wave. A wave back at him before I turn around, only to find Felix standing in the hallway with a proud smile.

"Let's go," he states. "There's no way I'll let you stay at that wicked woman's house tonight."

With that, he just casually walks ouside, his hands stuffed inside his pocket. I can't help but laugh as I follow behind him.

Those boys saved my day.

--

Oof, last chapter a few days ago I thanked you for 2k reads and now we're already past 3k. I'll keep thanking you for every milestone because I'm really grateful and happy. So again, thank you all, it means a lot to me!