Chapter 41

It's only a ten-minute stroll to the convenience store. But it seems more when you're walking on your own through the dark and empty streets. I pass by tons of houses, a warm light behind the windows and families watching TV together.

I probably shouldn't torture myself like this. Ha.

The cold air successfully made its way through my clothes and I'm almost shivering. This night is terrible, oh how much I regret not going with the boys right now. I decide to do something good and sensible for once and look at what happens. How rewarding.

Sometimes I really wonder what on earth I did wrong to deserve this.

Probably a lot.

Smiling wryly, I continue to walk over the abandoned sidewalk. My hands, that are still securely stuffed inside my pockets, clench to small fists. At least for as far that's possible inside a small jeans pocket.  Frustration is slowly welling up, along with a sense of anger.

But it fades away as soon as it came when I see a little dog walking ahead of me.

It's alone in the dark, just like me. Temporarily forgetting about my anger and frustration, I quickly approach the dog. I don't think the animal is supposed to be on its own here at this hour. The dog lifts its small head as it hears my footsteps approach and luckily it trots up to me instead of running away.

"Hey little fella," I coo, kneeling down next to the small canine en gently picking it up in my arms. The dog slowly wags its tail and licks my hand a few times but doesn't seem to averse my actions.

"What are you doing here all alone?"

I quickly glance around the area, hoping to spot a person that's obviously looking for their dog. But apart from the tiny dog and me, the streets are empty. Not even the sound of a voice calling their dog's name is there.

The dog seems comfortable in my arms as it stretches its jaw in a massive yawn before he rests his little chin on my arm and closes his eyes. For a moment, I just stand there, not knowing what to do with a sleeping dog that ended up separated from its owner. Then I just decide to go and sit on a bench nearby, waiting for the dog's owner to hopefully show up.

If he doesn't show up, I have no idea what to do. Bringing it home wouldn't be an option since my mom would completely freak out. I don't want this tiny animal to witness that.

Careful not to wake the sleeping canine, I sit down on the wooden bench and gently place it on my lap. Its ears twitch a little but he remains asleep, even when I carefully stroke its little head. The black and white fur is so soft and smooth, it's obvious that its owner takes good care of it. 

If only that owner would show up now.

I slowly let my back rest against the back of the bench, limiting my movements not to disturb the dog on my lap. Everything is a bit inconvenient, the cold bench not helping either. But the little dog is really cute so I keep my complaints to a minimum.

"I really wonder who you belong to," I mutter, my eyes trailing the area once more.

Minutes pass by without much happening. No one shows up, frantically looking for their little friend. The only movement comes from the dog's chests slowly rising and falling as it breathes and my hand softly stroking its tiny head.

I'm starting to grow worried since I really don't know what I should do when no one comes. Leaving this dog behind is out of options but taking it home with me is so, too.

But then I hear a faint voice in the distance, repeating the same thing over and over. I have a hard time to make out what the voice is saying, but when it comes closer I'm able to make out a word.

Kkami?

The dog's ears perk up and he lifts his head, alarmed by the voice. I can only guess that Kkami is its name and its owner is about to arrive here soon. The dog excitedly places its tiny paws on my knees as he looks around the area with its trustful brown eyes but it remains on my lap, even when it starts barking. A high-pitched sound that is sure to grab its owner's attention.

And sure enough, quick footsteps soon approach me, But just as they come close, they stop abruptly. The dog tilts his head in confusion.

"Chaelin?" a voice calls out from behind.

Recognizing the voice, I jolt up and turn around in one movement. The dog clings to my knees for dear life and I quickly secure it in my arms before it could fall off. There, on the sideway, is no one else than Hwang Hyunjin. The person I maybe wanted to see after this shit night.

"H-Hyunjin?" I stammer, eyes wide with surprise.

A warm smile takes over his fine features, one that causes my heart to race even more. Is this just because he scared the hell out of me when he called out my name?

"You found Kkami," he says, stating the obvious. "He ran away without a reason and when he didn't respond, I was scared he got hit by a car or something."

Hyunjin squats down in front of me, gently patting Kkami's head. The dog seems out of itself of happiness, playfully attempting to bite and lick his hand and his tail wagging madly, its tiny paws excitedly pressing in my legs. He seems really happy to see Hyunjin again.

Just like me.

"Your dog is really cute," I comment, lifting it in my arms and handing and handing Kkami to him.

"I know," Hyunjin replies, smiling proudly as the dog happily licks his face. It's a cute sight, in the dimmed lights of the streetlight a little away from the bench I'm on. I can't help but laugh at the scene that unfolds in front of me.

"What are you doing out here on your own, anyway?" Hyunjin asks, sitting down on the bench next to me and placing the dog on his lap. "It's pretty late to be out on your own. Especially for a girl."

I softly chuckle softly. "You know how I deal with unwanted boys, don't you?"

The boy lets out a small laugh. "I remember," he states. "They'd be scared to death before they could even try something." 

"Exactly." I nod in approval and our laughter echoes through the empty night.

The three of us sitting here, Hyunjin, me and a cute little dog. It feels so peaceful and right, even though it's cold outside. Our laughter under de cloudly night sky, just the presence of him. It's enough to let the damage my mom inflicted disappear into nothing.

The Hyunjin-effect has changed a lot.

--

Double update because your votes and comments motivated me a lot! I love you guyss 💗

Kkami stole my heart a long time ago (just like his owner)