Chapter 54

It took Friday an eternity to arrive and with every day that passed, I grew more nervous.

This is the day we'll give Hyunjin's plan a shot. It's risky and everyone is well aware of that. But Hyunjin and Felix both feel pretty positive about the whole ordeal so I just decided to go with it.

If it goes wrong, I can always move in at Felix' place and hide for the rest of my life.

"You're nervous, aren't you?" Hyunjin asks, instantly reaching out for my hand as we leave the school gate. He offers me a reassuring smile but he can't hide the fact that he's nervous as well. It's his plan, and if it goes wrong he'll feel guilty.

But that's the risk. I don't know if this problem can be solved without taking risks. We have to take them, face the possible consequences and move on with life afterward. Because things can't remain as they are now.

--

"You have a plan?" I repeat, looking at my boyfriend in confusion. That really came out of nothing.

"Yeah, I could walk you home if you want," Hyunjin suggests. "That way, I can explain everything at the same time and I don't have to worry about creepy men talking to you." He lets out a little chuckle as he speaks the last part, indicating that he's joking.

"You know very well how I deal with creepy men," I jokingly scoff, accepting his outstretched hand and intertwining my fingers with his. We leave his home behind us as we walk over the dark streets. Soft rays of the streetlights illuminate us every few steps we take. It feels good, walking with him like this. But we have something to talk about now.

"So you had a plan," I remind him, and his expression turns serious.

"I do," Hyunjin confirms, his brown eyes reflecting the said streetlights as he looks at me. "Please hear me out and ignore how stupid it might be."

I solemnly nod, promising him to let him talk. And then he begins his explanation and I listen closely.

"I know you can never be truly happy if your mom stays like this," he starts."So I want to help you fix things for her, to free you both from your past and maybe move on. Your mom is divorced and ended up like this, my mom divorced but got over it and is living a happy life now."

Hyunjin pauses for a moment, closely examining my facial expression. I try my best to keep it neutral because I want him to continue without worrying too much. I know how cautious he is when it comes to bringing up sensitive topics around me and I can sense the hesitation that's present again. With a gentle squeeze in his hand, I hope to reassure him that it's fine to go on.

"I was thinking, maybe-," his voice trails off and he scratches the back of his neck, obviously uncomfortable and filled with doubt. "M-Maybe my mother could be that person to show your mom that life can be good, even after a divorce since they basically went through the same. You know, just someone to talk to and- My mom helped me with this idea, she's willing to meet your mom."

With a sigh, he stops talking and I let go of his hand, only to wrap my arm around his waist. I take advantage of the moment of silence to let my mind run over everything he's just said because it's quite a lot. He wants our mothers to meet because they've both been through the same and only experienced a different outcome, hoping that his mom could be a help to mine.

I'm not sure how this will work out and judging from Hyunjin's hesitant voice when he was talking, he doesn't know if this will have a good outcome, either. The urge to say no doesn't even show up; I realize very well that this might be the only option we have. Someone needs to show my mom that she can be happy without a man as well and that divorce shouldn't control her life like that. And who could do that better than someone who experienced it as well?