Chapter 27

The day goes by rather quickly. With the tension reduced to almost zero and with the absence of conflicts, it's a lot more relaxed and I think I have something to admit. This morning, I told myself that I thought Hyunjin's name was cool. But throughout the day, I started to notice a lot of things about him.

His smile has that magic that lights up the area when it's there. Whether it's his lighthearted giggle or his full-out bright and clear laughter, it stirs something within me and most of the times I can't keep myself from smiling along. It's weird and most of the times I hide my smile by turning away.

His humor is a bit weird sometimes, but mostly in a good way. His jokes are funny and it keeps getting harder and harder not to laugh along with Felix and Hyunjin, mainly because they always try to involve me when they're goofing around. The only time his humor went a little overboard was when he trapped me against the lockers but we individually decided to never mention that again.

He's also very nice and understanding. Ever since I explained everything, he isn't as persistent anymore. He still attempts to talk to me a lot but he's always careful not to push any buttons that might cause me to freak out again. Before our talk, he always treated me nicely and he had a lot of patience.

I can almost literally see the wall around me shattering, the bricks cracking and falling down one by one. I'm scared, but at the same time the urge to rebuilt it isn't as strong as it used to be. As it should be.

And then again, it's me who started it, isn't it? I was the one that went up to Hyunjin to say sorry, to set things right again. I could've just let him, then this wouldn't ve happened. But at the same time, I couldn't let him. I wanted to fix it and I don't even know why.

Why?

"Chaelin!"

A harsh punch against my shoulders startles me and I jolt up from my thoughts. Both Hyunjin and Felix are looking at me, a questioning look in their eyes.

"You're spacing out again, Chae," Felix states, slightly tilting his head.

"Your phone has been beeping at least ten times by now," Hyunjin adds, looking at the device in front of me.

Still a bit dazed, I grab the phone and unlock it. Immediately after, tons of messages pop up, all from the same person.

[Mom]:
Cjaelip I cabt dinf rhe fodd

[Mom]:
Wjeee is it

[Mom]:
Dif you ear it?

[Mom]:
Plwse help mr fije the good

[Mom]:
Im hunfry

[Mom]:
Chjaelib wgere are yiu

[Mom]:
cjalein pleqse come

[Mom]:
Somenody stole ir i tgink

[Mom]:
Ill cakll th3 poluce

My heart sinks at the sight of these texts. My immature mom is drunk again. All the money meant for food is wasted on beer, vodka and more and she gulps it all down in one day. This isn't the first time something like this happens. It actually happens a lot, at least once or twice every month.

I tried everything to stop it. I even went as far as hiding her money to prevent her from buying alcohol. But to no avail; somehow she found it, bought a shitload of alcohol and then got mad at me for stealing her money.

Unconciously, my free hand has clenched into a tight fist, the skin on my knuckles turning white as I stare at the screen with a mixture of anger, sadness and desperation.