Chapter 2

Flashback to 10 years ago

It was my best friend Sara's idea to go out with some of our friends for the night. It had been a long time since we had a night off together, so we took full advantage, making a day of it. We did lunch and even went shopping before starting to get ready around seven. We also followed our old ritual of doing a celebratory shot, wishing each other luck on meeting Mr. right before leaving the apartment. Luckily, our friend Miranda didn't drink and offered to be our designated driver for the evening.

I'm normally not a big drinker, although, I've been known to have a few and occasionally get stupid drunk. The unpopular club Sara had chosen was surprisingly crowded that night. "Carrie!" Sara's voice was so loud as she shouted into my ear.

"Sara!" I yelled right back, watching her eyes roll in annoyance.

"That guy has been staring at you for the past ten minutes." She pointed, beginning to slur a little. She did things like this, only to embarrass me, or pull me from my shell.

"Him?" I scanned the room and stopped at the sexy guy with the long hair. "The hot guy in the leather jacket?" I stared at him, hoping to shake the shyness that consumed me. I rolled the cherry stem between my fingers, sucking on the cherry that had been in my drink, pathetically trying to act like my fearless bestie. It wasn't as easy for me, like it was for Sara. She slapped my arm so hard, that I almost choked to death when the cherry broke free from the stem. "Fuck, Sara! What the hell?" I stood there choking and glanced back at the cute guy who was now talking to a slutty looking brunette. "Thanks bitch!"

"Well, you were practically begging to blow him! Besides, he's so predictable anyway. He's the type to take you home, get you to go down on him, bend you over the bed, fuck you fast and hard, and be out the door before the sun even comes up. You'll never hear from him again, Carrie. Is that what you really want?" She inquired, gloating because she was almost always right.

"Uh, yes, he's fucking hot... So, why not. I'd be totally good with that." I laughed, pissed that she nailed him for what he probably was.

"Okay smart-ass, you want to be all brave, maybe I'll arrange that for you." I could have died right there on the spot as I watched her stalk over to him. I could hear her shouting my name, attempting to get my attention before giggling ridiculously when I refused to make eye contact. He really was hot and had a group of women surrounding him, but nothing could intimidate Sara. This guy was pure sex and I gotta admit, so not my type.

Sara's POV

I watched the eyes of the females surrounding this hottie turn from friendly to venomous as I approached. "Hi, I'm Sara, and that sexy blonde over there is my best friend, Carrie. I noticed that the two of you were kind of flirting back and forth a bit and thought that maybe you'd like to come over and get to know her a little better." Leaning in a little closer, I added, "She's got no gag reflex by the way."

He giggled, but I could tell he was thinking it over. "Thanks for the heads up." He smirked and then dismissed himself from his little haram to follow me back over to Carrie.

"What's your name by the way?" I inquired, barely looking back at him.

"Seriously?" He asked as if I were joking.

Frowning, I huffed, throwing my hands up. "Uh, no, I'm not joking. I'm not a mind reader you know." Who the hell did he think he was? He was hot, that I will admit, but there was no need to be a douche about it!

"This should be interesting." I caught him saying under his breath, letting out a cough. "I'm Jared, and you are?" Funny guy. I'd already given him my name and knew he didn't forget it that fast.

"Sara." I said it real slow, gesturing to myself as if he were special or something. We came to a stop in front of Carrie, who looked like she was going to be sick. "Carrie, sweetie, this is Jermaine. Told him you were interested in blowing him."

"It's Jared." He corrected me.

"Yeah, whatever."

"You're such an asshole, Sara!" She hissed.

"Love you too babe." I backed up, watching proudly as the awkward conversation quickly turned flirty and within minutes they were talking about leaving together. It blew my mind how fast she said yes to him, it was almost as if she was trying to prove something. "You staying with Miranda, or are you coming with me to his place?" The broad grin plastered to her face had me questioning if I was going to live to regret approaching him if this ended badly.

"I guess I'm going with you in case he turns out to be a psychopath. At least if we die, it will be together. Just give me a second to tell Miranda that we have a ride."

Miranda was practically sitting in this tattooed guys lap and waved me off pretty quick. What was happening tonight? I'm usually the one who ended up having the best time, why was I striking out? What did I get myself into, planning to sit all alone in this strange guy's house? I knew I'd be home alone anyway, since Miranda was probably going to end up going home with tattoo guy. I couldn't let Carrie go all alone. I swear, the things you do for your friends.

We got into his truck and the thought crossed my mind that we were seriously going to a strangers house, and he could possibly kill and dismember us both. I shook my head at my own stupidity. "You aren't gonna like kill us or anything, are you?" I asked with a nervous giggle.

"Not on the first visit." He responded with a wicked grin and took off like a bat out of hell.