Chapter 32

Pillows, a throw blanket, and a hot cup of coffee accompanied me on the couch after a long day of cleaning. The bookmark saved the page that I had previously read in my book. Jared left a few days ago and I was just enjoying the relaxation of my alone time, submerging myself in the thrilling lives of my favorite fictional characters. I didn't hear the soft knock at the door, well, at least not at first. I put the book down and got up to peek out the window. My brow furrowed not seeing anyone there. Apprehensively opening the door, I was met with flowers, lots and lots of flowers.

"Hello, sweetheart." Shannon's deep, husky voice made me instantly smile, I hadn't seen him since before Jared left, and boy did I miss him. Holding the door open, Shannon stepped inside, peeking at me from behind the massive bouquet of blooms. "Are we okay? We haven't spoken in days and after that dinner at Jared's, I figured I'd give you a little space."

"I'm sorry if you thought I was upset, but is this okay?" I asked, gesturing from him to me.

"Yes, Jared knows I'm here. This is fine." Those warm hazel eyes and big smile made me instantly melt. He set the roses down on the table and held up a bottle of pink champagne, my favorite. His palm gently slid across my cheek, softly caressing it as his lips met mine. "Remember, it's two separate relationships, Carrie."

This tender and passionate kiss ended far too soon for my taste, even if that uneasiness had returned. "I'd really love it if you joined me for dinner tonight."

"Dinner, um, okay!" I laughed, not knowing what to expect. What had I gotten myself into here? There was Jared who had the ability to change like night and day. One minute he's all sweet and gentle, coming to visit me while I'm out of town, and the next he's pinning me to the bed, fucking me so hard that I can't think straight.

Then there's Shannon, he was the more mysterious of the two. I haven't experienced him get rough with me and even though I couldn't picture it ever happening, it certainly was a delicious thought. The fact that his brother just left to go out of town and here I was thinking about Shannon bending me over the nearest table and pounding me into it, made me seem so fucking sick and twisted.

He popped open the bottle. "I'll bring you a glass, now you go get ready. I trust you'll be wearing something very sexy."

I took notice of his clothing, a gray blazer, white T-shirt underneath and the black jeans which ended at his red dress shoes. The man was suave, and I couldn't be more thrilled that he showed up at my place tonight. "I'm sure I can find something that will please you." Placing a kiss on his cheek, I left him to go and get myself ready. I already knew what I was planning to wear this evening. The short black dress made mostly of lace was a little more revealing than I was used to, but I didn't care. Hell, he'd already seen me naked.

I made sure to shave while in the shower since I knew that by the end of the night one of us would be in the others bed. A girl always has to be prepared. I was rinsing my hair when the shower door opened, startling me. "As much as I'd love to come in there with you, I've made plans and would like to keep them, so hurry up."

Nodding, I observed the glass that he put on the vanity for me. He took one more sip out of his and turned to place it next to mine. He picked up a towel and unfolded it, holding it out for me.

His arms enveloped me as I stepped into the towel. "Have some champagne while you get dressed. I'll be on the couch when you're ready."

He picked up his glass and stepped out of the steamy bathroom. Adjusting the towel, I walked into my bedroom and dried my hair. I dressed as quickly as possible and sat down to apply my makeup.

The glass had been empty long before I stepped into my black heels and exited my bedroom. I caught his eyes traveling up and back down my body while his tongue moved over his bottom lip. 'No more alcohol.' I reminded myself, remembering the last few times I drank.

I could practically read his thoughts as he moved closer, grinning like the devil. "Well, damn, I can't stop staring. Carrie, sweetie, that dress," his voice trailed off watching me slowly spin around for him. Granting him the full view of the low back on my dress, I bit my bottom lip.

It was the deep growl that made me want to tempt him. Not only were his eyes locked on me, but I knew exactly what he was thinking. Clearing his throat, he blinked a few times before speaking. "Now, how about we go to dinner?" He held his hand out for me and I had to admit, I was a bit offended that he didn't grab me or ravish my lips.

I hadn't the slightest clue where we were going and didn't really care. His thumb rubbed against the back of my hand as he drove toward our destination, only it wasn't toward town. I smiled nervously, watching his eyes glancing downward at my crossed legs a few times, as if he was struggling to keep them on the road. "Close your eyes for me, beautiful," he whispered, "now, please." With the rise of my brow I did as I was told. A few minutes later, I felt the car come to a slow stop and he spoke again. "Please keep them closed for me and I'll help you move to where I want you." His hand pulled from mine as I listened to his door close. I turned my head toward my car door being opened and his warm, gentle calloused hands met mine. "Watch your step, easy, there you go." His voice was soft as he helped me from my seat. Taking both of my hands, he guided me forward. "Straight ahead." Moving behind me, both of his arms wrapped around my waist and his lips touched my ear." You may open your eyes now."

Slowly opening my eyes, I felt his lips trail down to my shoulder. I gasped at the view of the city below as the heat slowly began to grow between my legs. It was a table for two overlooking the city. Two glasses were filled with the same pink champagne that he brought over to my place and a candle was glowing against the white table cloth. Damn, he seriously went all out for this. His lips moved up my neck and just as I went to reach for him, he pulled away. He walked over and pulled my chair out as I adjusted my dress.

"This is absolutely amazing. I cannot believe you did all of this for me." Suddenly I was enveloped by a feeling I'd rather die than let go of, and that's when I knew I was fucked.