Chapter 21 Jared

I was a little worried that Carrie wouldn't show up after such a brief phone conversation and no contact all day. I started dinner and just as I was about to go up and change my clothes, Shannon walked in. "Hey bro, what's up?"

"You tell me," I stared at him. "How did today go? She get everything done?"

He took his sunglasses off as he leaned back against the countertop. "Not totally done but almost. You get a chance to talk to her today?" He asked, chewing on his gum.

"Not a word, but she didn't cancel, so that's a plus. Hey, would you mind running out and picking up a few bottles of wine? I was so busy and didn't have a chance to get to the store." I hated to ask, but I was almost out of time. Carrie would be arriving any minute.

"Sure, no problem." He walked out the door and I went upstairs to change. This has been merely a casual dinner at home so I chose jeans and a T-shirt. Pulling my long hair up in a bun, I heard a knock. "Just a moment," I called out.

I rushed down the steps and walked to the door. She looked gorgeous as always. "You look great. Come on in." She walked past me and I inhaled the sweet smelling perfume. God, she always smelled intoxicating. "Smell great too."

"Thanks." I noticed right off that she was quiet and her usual smile was missing. She accompanied me into the kitchen and commented on how great the food smelled, but it was nothing compared to the way she smelled.

"Would you like to sit down?" I guided her to the table. A baffled look appeared on her beautiful face as she noticed the third place setting.

She pointed, "Is someone joining us?" It was as if she were afraid to ask the question. Her lip trembled and her cheeks turned a vivid red color.

"Shannon will be joining us, is that alright with you?" I knew it wasn't, but thought I'd ask anyway. Just as I put the wine glasses on the table, he walked in.

"Sorry, that took a little longer than I expected. Carrie, you look nice." The latent hostility in the room suddenly became unbearable.

Granting him a half smile, she glanced around the room. "Will you excuse me?" She stood and walked away from the table and I stared at my brother.

He walked into the kitchen to open the bottle and poured each of us a glass.

"You want to go check on her?" He asked, looking concerned.

Nodding, I sighed as I ventured out of the kitchen through the house. I noticed the bathroom door slightly ajar. "Carrie, baby, you okay in there?" I could hear a slight muffle but no legible words at first.

"Yeah... I'll be right out," she called out, but I left her alone.

"I'll be in the kitchen when you're ready. Leaning against the kitchen door, I crossed my arms. "She's alright, she just needs a few minutes."

Shannon nodded and looked up as we both heard the bathroom door close. Carrie returned and stood behind me. Spinning to face her, I tried to reassure her with a wink, but she only frowned..

"Dinner is just about ready and Shannon has brought some wine. Please sit and have a drink." I suggested.

Noticing her body language was slightly hesitant, I walked over to the stove. "Well, I hope you like Italian, because that's what I made." I joked, pulling the pan out of the oven. Shannon sat across from Carrie and I knew she wasn't happy..

I served Carrie and me, but let Shannon help himself. "So, Carrie, Shannon and I would like to speak to you about something. Shannon and I are very close, closer than some-"

Shannon downed his glass and laughed, interrupting me." What my brother is trying to say is, would you be interested in a relationship with both of us? Separately of course, but an open relationship." I was hoping to avoid blurting it out like that. Clenching my jaw, I sighed at his impatience.

Her eyes bulged and she looked from Shannon and back over at me. Swallowing hard, she let out a deep breath. We all sat there in an awkward silence for a while.

Shannon leaned forward and looked at her. "Remember when I asked you if you had ever been with two men? I was dead serious."

"What the hell?!" She picked up her glass and drank it in one sip.

"I know all about yesterday Carrie, and I'm fine with it. I don't want you to feel guilty at all."

"You know about yesterday?" She bit her bottom lip and her eyes became glassy. Immediately I began to wonder if this whole thing was a mistake.

"I do know, and yes, it's okay." I looked at her, hoping that we didn't push too hard too fast. Staring downward, she was silent. Shannon returned with the second bottle and she patiently waited for him to refill her glass. She managed a fake smile and tried to blink the building tears away, but failed and they streamed down her face.

Shannon finished pouring and I could see the wheels in her head turning. I reached over and put my hand on hers. "You don't have to answer right away. I mean, clearly this is a lot to take in." I gently brushed my hand over hers.

As she took a sip of her wine, she took a deep breath and closed her eyes. Shannon looked over at me taking a drink and sighed. "Carrie, listen, just hear us out."

She glanced up with an intense stare. "Hear you out? You want me to hear you out?" She took another large sip.

"Carrie, babe, slow down." My concern for her drinking was shrugged off as she finished her second glass. I wanted to smack Shannon when he poured her another.

"You want me to listen to the two of you?" She took another sip and sat all the way back. It was silence for a few minutes. "The two men that are toying with my emotions." When her words started to blend together, Shannon handed me the bottle.

Shannon sat back in his chair, taking a sip from his own glass and letting out a giggle. "Seriously? I certainly didn't have to hold a gun to your head to get you to participate the other day."

Her hand went up. "You, no talking. You seduced me!"

"And it was like taking candy from a baby." He snarled back. I didn't want to continue the conversation with her in this condition.

"Maybe we should talk about this later. I think you should eat something, Carrie."

She sat back in her chair and folded her arms. Her facial expression was one of absolute disdain and it made my heart clench in my chest. "Fuck you both. You think I'm going to be your personal play toy?" Her words were really beginning to slur and she stood up. "I have to go home!" She started to walk to the door, but there was no way she could possibly drive home in that condition. Shannon was out of his chair and caught her before she fell. She fought and cursed all the way to the guest room and I sat there staring at her plate of untouched food. Maybe this was a mistake.