Chapter Three

Ron had been right. They did find her parents. That very day actually. It had been the third dentist's office they had visited. It was just after lunchtime and her parents were just leaving the office together, holding hands just like her and Ron were at that very moment. She stopped abruptly when she saw them. She simply stared at them in shock. Ron sensing her reaction followed her gaze. He had met her parents only a handful of times at King's Cross Station. They looked slightly different then he remembered but there was something familiar about them. He felt Hermione pulling her hand free to go to them but he clamped onto it tightly forcing her to stay with him.

"Remember Hermione they won't recognize you."

"I know Ron!" she snapped at him, but he was right. She had planned to just run up to them and expected their memories to return when they saw their daughter.

"What's the plan Hermione?"

"I... I don't know." Hermione stated flatly as she began to follow her parents at a distance to assure they wouldn't lose them. She had put all her efforts into finding her parents, now that they were in front of them she didn't know what to do. She had been religiously practicing the counter curse to the memory charm each day. Making sure her wand movements were correct, she was enunciating the incantation correctly and her mind was focused. But she couldn't just run up to them and perform the spell in the middle of a busy road during lunch time.

"Maybe we could stun them and levitate them into an alleyway and perform the counter curse?" Ron asked hesitantly.

"No Ron. We won't hurt them." Hermione almost yelled, pulling her hand out of Ron's in anger.

They continued to follow her parents at a distance and were surprised to find them turning into a residential area. The Grangers approached a quaint white house with blue trim and starting to walk up the front steps. Hermione almost laughed out loud. Of course! Her parents always went home for lunch together when she was growing up. She had almost forgotten that small detail with being away at school and spending so much of her summers at the Weaselys'. Even though she erased their memories they were the same people and would have the same habits. Hermione stopped before their house and glanced back at Ron for reassurance. He gave her a tight smile and nod. She slowly approached the house, gripping her wand tightly in her pocket. She took a deep breath trying to calm her racing heartbeat and knocked on the door. Her mother opened the door. "Hello?"

Even though Hermione knew they wouldn't recognize her she still felt a wave of disappointment rush over her. "Hi. My name is-."

"Who's at the door my dear?" she heard her father yell from within interrupting her.

Her mother rolled her eyes at the intrusion and Hermione felt her eyes brimming with tears at the familiar gesture. All at once the porch started to sway underneath her and Hermione started falling. She recalled someone yelling out but whether it was Ron or her mom she didn't know.

When she opened her eyes, she was sitting on a comfortable brown sofa inside a bright living room.

"Here," her father said passing her a glass of cold water. "Drink up. It'll make you feel better."

"Thank you," she murmured before taking a sip.

"Hermione are you okay?" Ron asked, his voice laced with concern.

"Yes, I'm fine.... It's just hot out and ... I'm so sorry," she stammered.

"Don't worry about it at all. I'm just glad you're feeling better. Take your time and don't rush." Her mother said warmly. "So, what can we do for you?"

Now was the time. Hermione pulled out her wand and with her mind completely focused on her spell she said "restituo." There was a moments silence while she watched her parents intently, searching their faces for any shade of recognition. There was none. They looked confused as their eyes darted back and forth from her to Ron to her wand.

"What do you think you're doing?" her father exclaimed reaching out, putting a protective arm in front of Hermione's mother.

"I-I-I..." Hermione stuttered, searching for a response.

"Stupefy," shouted Ron.

"Ron what are you doing?" Hermione shrieked as her parents toppled to the floor.

"Hermione something went wrong. What do you want us to do now? We have to get help." He went over to the mantle and picked up a photo frame. "Portus" he murmured. "Let's go. We're going to St. Mungo's. Someone there will be able to help us."

Hermione was in shock, her mind reeling, "but Ron what about when my parents don't return to work? People will wonder what happened," Hermione whispered as she stared at her parents' unconscious bodies on the floor. She couldn't tear her eyes away from them. They had been so kind to her. In so many ways just like she remembered, and this is how they were repaid.

Ron was already arranging her parents, so they were both touching the photo frame. Hermione stared at the photo, numbly registering that the picture was of her father kissing his mother's cheek, while his mother looked towards the camera with a huge smile on her face. "I'll notify our contacts with the Australian embassy. They can take care of the situation. Hermione come on, we have to go!"

The portkey began glowing in his hand. She reached out mechanically, without thinking and touched it before feeling the familiar pull behind her belly button and was transported back home to London.