Chapter Thirty-Six

Hermione and Sam took one look at each other, the fear and shock they felt mirrored in each other's expression, before taking off towards the noise. They ran through an open doorway at the back of the room, their footsteps muffled by the thick, plush carpet underneath. The images of the torture she endured still flashed before Hermione, but she pushed them aside forcing herself to focus on the present. She did not survive Voldemort and the war last year just to die this year in the hands of the Malfoys. Fear and doubt intensified within her as she realized that right now Harry and Ron were not with her. An indescribable longing for their presence filled her.  

The sounds intensified. Screaming and groaning. Thuds as heavy objects sounded like they were being banged against walls. Running gave her a purpose as she picked up her pace, outstripping Sam. The doorway led down a wide set of stone steps into a separate basement. Hermione paused briefly before rushing down towards the noises below. Keenly aware that she was wandless. She could feel the temperature drop as she made her way down the staircase into a separate dungeon. Empty cells lined both walls, the only light in here were from the sconces that hung on the walls that were lit. She continued to make her way down the dark hall, reaching Saxon and Lovell who were both gasping for air. Saxon was holding two wands in his hand. In a cell, tied up and gagged, were Lucius and Narcissa.

Saxon glanced at her as she approached warily, "I managed to wrestle the two wands from them and then used them to tie them up."

Lucius sat, straight backed, knees tucked underneath him, head held high glaring with hatred at Saxon. In the dim lighting, the resemblance to Draco was striking, except for the expression of loathing on his face. She had never seen such hatred from him and could not imagine Draco looking like that. It made her recoil in fear. Narcissa sat close to her husband, hands bound, a black gag wrapped tightly around her face, she didn't seem bothered by it. She stared at Hermione. The candlelight illuminating her body only served to further accentuate her pride. Lucius' hair was bloody and matted against the side of his head, one eye was a swollen purplish green colour, his nose was slowly dripping blood, his clothes were ripped. Narcissa's lips was puffy and blood tinged her teeth, she had a large greyish bruise covering her entire cheek.

"We should kill them." Saxon stated. His voice was so impassive and factual, that it sent tremors of fear through her body.

"Saxon, we can call the aurors. They will take care of this. There's nothing else for us to do." Hermione spoke, her voice soft and serene, trying to calm the situation.

"Call the aurors?" He responded in disbelief, turning towards her arms outstretched. "Do you realize what they did to my family, what they did to dozens of innocent wizards all over the place. They are responsible and need to be held accountable. The aurors weren't able to send them to Azcaban last time. This time won't be any different!" His eyes bulging, the anger was oozing off of him. Hermione looked towards Sam and Lovell for support. They were both staring at the Malfoys with equally menacing expressions on their face. She knew these expressions, this was the expression Harry had on his face in third year when he planned on killing Sirius until Crookshanks jumped in his lap. She knew she would not be able to change their minds.

"Saxon's right," Lovell agreed seriously, squinting at Hermione. "They deserve to pay for the pain they caused others."

"No." Hermione maintained, stalling for time while thinking quickly. "Listen, I understand you're angry, but if you kill them, then you're no better than they are. You need to take the higher road and trust that justice will be served. Shacklebolt is fair and just, he will ensure they are returned to Azcaban."

"You think a stint in Azcaban is punishment enough? Soon there won't even be dementors there anymore. Harry Potter has been petitioning for their removal. They'll just get to spend their time locked up, getting free meals, while people are dead. How does that seem fair to you Hermione?"