Chapter Twenty-Five

Hermione attended class with a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach. Draco seemed to be actively avoiding her. He hadn't been coming into her room at night. He hadn't been around at breakfast and even during the classes they had together, he hadn't looked at her once. She tried catching his eye on more than one occasion, but he steadfastly ignored her gaze. She called out to him as they were leaving Charms, but he made straight for the door as if he hadn't heard her at all.

Once classes were over for the day, she made her way straight to her bedroom, shoulders hunched, eyes cast downwards towards the floor, barely acknowledging anyone who passed her. She was deep in thought. She mentally chastised herself, trying to be rationale, everything had been fine between her and Draco a couple of days ago. If something had changed he would have told her. Her mind clouded with doubt. She had seen Pansy talking with Draco yesterday, her hand softly touching his shoulder, leaning in seductively. Hermione sat across the Great Hall knowing there was nothing she could do about it. No one, other than Ginny, knew that her and Draco were ... together. Were they even together? As Ginny had pointed out, they had never even discussed their relationship. Maybe Draco viewed their ... relationship... differently than Hermione did. Draco had looked up and caught Hermione staring and brushed away Pansy's hand. If he hadn't caught her gaze would he have reacted the same way?

Ginny had been right, she couldn't continue to be with Draco without knowing what she meant to him. It was needling Hermione to not know how he felt and she wanted him to know too. She also wanted everyone, especially Pansy, to know they were together. That would wipe the gloating smile right off her face.

Her bottom lip started to quiver and she blinked back the tears that threatened to spill over. No use being upset until she knew for certain what was going on. She made her way up the final staircase that lead to the common room. The castle was quieter up here with most students gathering in the Great Hall for dinner. She turned down the hallway, her footsteps muffled on the carpet. When someone grabbed her suddenly from behind.

She shrieked, pulling her wand out and whipping around to see Draco hunched over laughing at her. "I can't believe I scared you! Some quick reflexes you got there Granger!"

Hermione was in no mood to be laughed at after spending the entire day wondering if he was avoiding her. "Next time I'll just hex you and won't bother looking. I'm going to bed," she snapped.

Draco seemed to sense her mood. "Wait up. I want to show you something."

Hermione wanted to stay angry at him. He couldn't just be cool towards her all day and then act like everything was find. But her curiosity was piqued. "Fine, what is it?"

He reached towards her, putting his arm around her shoulder and pulling her close in a half hug. "It's a surprise, you'll have to follow me."

He lead her back down the stairs and past the Great Hall. He had kept his arm around her until they heard students approaching, before discreetly dropping it and moving a step away, putting some distance between them. Hermione huffed and Draco glanced over at her with a concerned expression.

She continued to follow him out of the castle. It was dusk out, with the last rays of sunlight just visible above the horizon. Her breath fogging in front of her. They made their way through the grounds, passing by Hagrid's hut, feet crunching on newly fallen snow. Hermione quickly cast a heating charm over herself. Draco wasn't wearing a jacket either but he didn't seem to be bothered by the temperature. They continued walking around the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest, moving further from the castle. "You've been avoiding me," Hermione stated flatly breaking the silence. She glanced at him out of the corner of her eye to watch his reaction. Surprisingly he was smiling widely.