Chapter Thirty

Hermione looked around the streets of Diagon Alley frantically trying to find Ron or spot any red headed Weasleys. Her and Ginny had tried running straight into Weasley Wizarding Wheezes but the aurors had barricaded the business, not allowing anyone inside. Hermione tried staying calm while being jostled by the growing number of people surrounding her. A large group of wizards were craning their necks trying to catch a glimpse of inside the store and a growing number of reporters were materializing out of thin air. Ginny was shrieking at some poor auror, demanding that they be allowed inside immediately. Her red hair whipping around her head and her hands shaking. The auror was young, with a pimpled face, and was clearly unsure what to do in this type of situation. He kept nervously glancing around looking for help while repeating the same thing, that no one was allowed inside. Hermione could see Ginny giving him her best Mrs. Weasley stare and was surprised to see that he didn't completely quell under it. As Ginny started throwing out the name of every famous wizard she knew, mentioning Harry, the golden trio, Hermione and an assortment of Weasleys, the crowd parted slightly and Hermione surged forward allowing Hermione to get her first glance at the store. The storefront window was smashed in, broken glass littered the floor of the store, she frowned, did neither Ron nor George think to put an anti-breaking charm on it? What she could see in the store from her vantage point, included merchandise strewn all over the floor and shelves knocked over.

A dark red stain was streaked across the wall.

A wave of nausea overtook her. Was that Ron's blood? Or George's? The Weasleys already lost Fred. They couldn't lose another child. She stepped back, ensuring the scene was shaded from Ginny's view. The incessant clicking of the reporters' cameras were driving her mad. There was no sign of any of the Weasleys or Harry. They must have known her and Ginny would come. Why weren't they out here. Maybe they were at St Mungo's ... or worse.

She took a deep breath, pushing back the fear and tears that were threatening to spill. She needed to think. She pulled out her wand and tried casting a patronus. Nothing happened. Her hands were shaking. "Steady Hermione," she whispered to herself. She focused on her usual happy memory but thoughts of Ron and George kept interfering. She needed to get a hold of herself. An image of Draco flitted through her mind, playfully chiding her for being so uptight. She smiled briefly at the memory, as white pearly sparks flew out of her wand. Her smile widened. She thought about the first time they kissed, lying in bed together talking past midnight, sitting in her window reading together while he held her, studying together, the way he ran his fingers through his hair when he was exasperated. "Expecto patronum," she muttered, as a beautiful bright rabbit burst from her wand. "Thank you," she whispered. She quietly whispered directions to her rabbit before sending her off.

She grabbed Ginny's arm and pulled her away from the frazzled auror, who looked utterly relieved at the interruption, and as far off to the side of the store and away from the crowd as she could. "Hermione," she shrieked, "what are you doing?" The worry dripped from her voice, her lower lip trembling as she wiped a shaking hand over her eyes, removing the tears that had formed.

Before Hermione could even respond, she spotted Harry, who had come out of the store and was looking wildly around the crowd. Hermione turned Ginny around, so she was facing him as she started waving wildly and calling his name. Harry quickly rushed over and ushered them in, telling them to mind their steps and be careful not to interfere with the crime scene. Hermione caught a glance at the young auror that Ginny had been screaming at and saw a look of horror plastered to his face as he realized that Ginny actually did know Harry Potter. In any other situation, Hermione would have found it amusing.

"Everyone's fine," Harry said, holding up his hand to stall their impending rush of questions. Ron has a very minor wound but is being treated in the back. He doesn't even need to go to St. Mungo's".