Chapter Twelve

It was a cold dismal day with a hard grey sky and wind that whipped around them tossing their hair in every direction, ­­­as Ginny and Hermione walked to Hogsmeade together. Hermione glanced towards the sky secretly happy that the weather matched her mood. Hermione hasn't wanted to go but Ginny practically dragged her out of the castle. Ginny had made it her personal mission to comfort Hermione these last few days and refused to let her commiserate.

They made their way directly to The Three Broomsticks where they met Harry. Ginny ran straight over to him before pulling him into a passionate embrace, which resulted in wolf whistles and applause from the rest of the pub. Harry was beet red as Ginny finally pulled away from him, avoiding eye contact with all the other patrons as he discreetly lead her by the elbow to a table as far in the back as possible.

"Ginny!" he whispered. "You do realize this will probably be on the front page of the Daily Prophet tomorrow?"

She laughed blissfully, "so let it! It'll be wonderful to see some good news in that paper for once! Besides I look fantastic in my new outfit!"

Hermione held back during their greeting. She was genuinely happy to see Harry but didn't want to intrude upon the couple. She looked on with a sense of longing for what the two of them had. She turned to leave but was interrupted by Ginny. "Where do you think you're going? I didn't drag you're butt out here just so you could go back."

Harry pulled Hermione into a hug, squeezing tight and holding on a moment longer than he typically would before they all took their seats and ordered.

Harry and Ginny talked away, catching up and constantly gazing into each other's eyes. They tried to involve Hermione whenever there was a chance. She responded in a falsely positive voice that she hoped Harry wouldn't catch onto. She didn't need Harry telling Ron how miserable she was. Let him tell Ron that she seemed completely unaffected by Ron's actions.

At one point, Harry tried to bring Ron up. "Er, Hermione, about Ron..."

"Harry, I'm absolutely fine. I do not want to talk about it." After a stern look from Ginny, Harry dropped it and didn't bring it up again.

After finishing their drinks, they wandered around to different shops for a couple hours. Finally, Hermione managed to leave them to visit the book shop. Ginny and Harry tried to go with her, but it took almost no objections from her to get them to go on their way to spend some time alone.

Hermione exited the bookshop feeling hopeful. She had purchased a new book that she thought may help with her parents' curse. She walked down the cobblestone path, making her way back to the school. She was motivated to return and start reading the book right away. She was so lost in thought she didn't notice the familiar red hair wizard standing in the middle of the path in front of her.

"Oi, Hermione." Ron called getting her attention.

Hermione looked up startled. She quickly chose to ignore Ron and made to walk past him without acknowledging him.

"You have to listen to me Hermione!" Ron grabbed her arm stopping her from passing. Hermione forcefully extracted her arm.

"I have nothing to say to you Ronald."

"You have to hear me out. I'm really sorry. I promise you I never cheated on you. I was at the pub after work with some of George's friends and this girl was all over me. I tried to stop her. Then that hag Rita Skeeter was there and blew the whole thing out of proportion." He exclaimed quickly.

"Then why didn't you tell me Ron? You've had ample time to explain yourself and send me an owl."

"Hermione, it all happened so fast and the article was published the next day. To be honest," he began running his hand through his hair. "I didn't know how to tell you. Nothing I've said recently has been right lately. I wasn't even sure if we were still in a relationship or not. You have to admit that our relationship hasn't been easy." He quickly mumbled the last part before she could interrupt.

"Oh, I'm sorry I haven't been paying enough attention to you Ron! I've just been a bit busy trying to find my parents and restore their memories!" Hermione shouted angrily. Her frustration at the entire situation bubbling over and coming out at him. She made to push by him again but he grabbed her arm stopping her a second time. Hermione pulled out her wand and pointed it at him. "Let go." She stated in a dangerously quiet voice.

Ron continued to hold on but loosened his grip, "Hermione, please-"

"I'd let go of her if you know what's best for you Weasley." Malfoy walked up to them until he was standing directly in front of Ron.

"Sod off Malfoy. This doesn't concern you." Ron yelled, releasing Hermione and pulling his wand on Draco. Hermione continued to point her wand at Ron and surprisingly Draco stood their defenselessly, his wand still in his pocket.

"What are you going to do Weasley? Attempt to curse me again? I seem to remember an incident with slugs the last time you tried." Draco goaded, still making no movement to reach for his wand.

Ron's face turned as bright red as his hair. "I'll destroy you Malfoy." He uttered menacingly. Both wizards stared at each other in silence, daring the other to look away first.

Harry seemed to materialize out of nowhere as he pushed in between them, trying to simultaneously create space and trying to lower Ron's wand. Ginny stood beside Hermione lightly touching her arm reassuringly. "Ron, put it away," Harry ordered.

"He's a Death Eater, Harry! He may have fooled Shacklebolt but he deserves to pay for what he did."

"Ron, don't be stupid. Draco's not a Death Eater." Harry replied matter-of-factly, still trying to calm the situation. 

"Harry you're the one who spent all of sixth year trying to convince us he was a Death Eater and now you're defending him?" Ron yelled incredulously.

"He was released Ron. He's not a Death Eater anymore." Harry glanced at Draco who raised his eyebrows questioningly at Harry. Harry shook his head slightly conveying a silent message. Hermione narrowed her eyes as she took in this silent exchange.

"Don't tell me he's fooled you too Harry!"

Harry let out an exasperated sigh and with an apologetic look towards Ginny, he grabbed Ron's arm and apparated them away before the situation could escalate further.

The three of them glanced at each other before Hermione turned huffing, quickly continuing her way back to the castle, while stuffing her wand back into her robes. Draco and Ginny fell into step on either side of her. Ginny linking arms with her reassuringly.

"I didn't need your help Draco. I had the situation under control." Hermione said evenly, trying to control her anger.

"Oh, I know. I have never forgotten your right hook from third year. I swear my jaw has never worked the same since then," he chuckled as he ran a hand through his hair. "I just couldn't pass up on the chance to get under Weasely's skin."

Ginny laughed, "I know what you mean. I can't seem to pass up a chance to get under his skin either. He just gets riled up so easily." Hermione couldn't help it, her anger started to evaporate as she laughed along with them.