Chapter Nineteen

By the time the Malfoys' trial finally arrived, everyone could tell Draco was a mess. Even the professors seemed to be giving him less work. His face was ashen colour, he had purple and blue rings under his eyes, his hair was a mess and his clothes were wrinkled and unkempt.

The day of the trial, Hermione arrived in the Great Hall for breakfast. She took one look at Draco sitting alone at the Slytherin table and did something she never expected to do. She walked over and sat down with him, earning herself a lot of dirty glares from the remainder of the Slytherins. Hermione had to remind herself that a lot of these students' parents or family members had been arrested after Voldemort's fall and she would be considered partially to blame for that. She ignored the looks and held her head high. She had nothing to be ashamed of and she was not going to allow these students to intimidate her.

"You don't have to sit with me Granger." Draco mumbled, staring at his empty plate.

Hermione sighed, why were boys always so difficult. She should be used to it after spending the last seven years with Harry and Ron. "I know, I don't have to sit with you Malfoy, but I want to sit with you." He didn't reply. They sat in silence for a few minutes while Hermione nibbled on some toast while trying to think of something reassuring to say. After a very awkward breakfast Draco rose stiffly and Hermione followed him back to their dormitory to get ready to leave for the Ministry. "You, uh really don't need to come with me," Draco rasped hoarsely.

"Don't be silly, it'll look good at the trial for you to be seen with me." Hermione tried to sound normal and reassuring but her voice came out shrill and high-pitched.

Draco visibly paled and mumbled something that sounded like "depends who." Hermione decided to ignore him. They passed Blaise and Theo who wished them luck and made their way in silence to Professor McGonagall's office. Professor McGonagall gave them a curt nod when they entered. "Mr. Malfoy, no matter what happens today, don't forget what I told you." Hermione gave them both a questioning look before they flooed to the Ministry of Magic.

As they made their way to the dungeons Draco quickened his pace and the worried look on his face intensified. They walked in silence with occasional ministry employees pushing past them. The sound of their feet echoed throughout the dismal dungeons. A look of momentary relief flitted across Draco's face when they entered the dungeon and he could see that the trial had not started yet, but it quickly disappeared as he eyed the two solitary chairs with chains wrapped around them in the middle of the floor. Hermione gently took Draco's arm and guided them to an empty bench. The entire Wizengamot was already assembled, talking quietly amongst each other. She spotted Harry who gave her a quick nod and a brief smile but was clearly busy speaking with some official. She couldn't tell from the quick look he gave her what he was going to say. She continued staring at him trying to read something from his body language when she saw his whole body stiffen. She belatedly realized that the room had become deathly silent and Draco was visibly shivering next to her. It took her brain a moment to catch up to what she already knew had happened. The dementors had entered the dungeon. Hermione saw Harry quickly whip out his wand and mutter a spell as his beautiful pearly white stag started sauntering around the room. It came so close to Hermione she almost reached out to pet it. It's presence near her was comforting and she hoped Draco was feeling the same way.

Kingsley Shacklebolt audibly cleared his throat before his deep calming voice boomed out, "court is now in session. Please bring the defendants in." Every head in the room turned to watch Narcissa and Lucius Malfoy walk slowly into the courtroom.

Hermione knew that they had done some terrible things but, in that moment, as they walked in, she felt nothing but pity for them. They looked like two completely broken human beings. Their hair was limp and dull, they both had a greyish pallor to their faces, they seemed to walk slightly hunched over instead of their usual proud selves. But the most striking difference was the look in their eyes, there was a dullness to them as if there was nothing left. From the moment both of them had entered the courtroom they had frantically searched the crowd until both pairs of eyes found Draco's. Lucius looked as if there was no hope left and he was staring at his son for the last time. Narcissa's expression was even more heart wrenching. She looked like she was trying to memorize every feature on Draco's face, as if she was drinking him in and this would be the last time she would ever see her only child again. Hermione knew the affect that the dementors could have on the prisoners of Azcaban and clearly the Malfoys were no exception. Harry amongst many others had been petitioning the Ministry to remove the dementors from the prison and from what Hermione had read in the Daily Prophet, the Ministry had spent many hours squabbling back and forth over the issue without making a decision.