Chapter Fifteen

Draco and Hermione swiftly made their way to the Janus Thickney ward. Hermione pushed by more than one healer, murmuring apologies, eyes straight forward, towards their destination. They entered the ward and walked purposefully up to the Granger's beds. Draco let Hermione lead the way and walked a half step behind her but keeping pace. Her father made to get up and started opening his mouth to ask his usual question but Hermione cut him off. "I want to try one more time to perform the countercurse on you. If it doesn't work, I'll have you released and returned to your lives in Australia."

Her parents looked at her with serious expressions on their faces before sharing a look. Her mother nodded slowly, "okay, one last attempt and then we have your word that we will be released and left alone."

"I promise."

Her parents sat down next to each other facing Hermione expectantly. She took a deep breath before looking towards Draco for reassurance. He nodded solemnly at her.

Hermione closed her eyes for a moment in concentration before opening them. "Restituo," she stated confidently. A moment passed while Draco looked back and forth between Hermione and the Grangers. Hermione didn't tear her eyes away from her parents. A vacant expression seemed to pass over their faces before they blinked a couple of times.

"Hermione!" her mother exclaimed, jumping up and running to her daughter before enveloping her in her arms.

Her father still sat on the bed looking shocked before taking a few shaky steps and joining them.

"You-you know who I am?"

"Yes. Yes, I know who you are. I don't know how we could have forgotten." Hermione and both of her parents were all crying and laughing at the same time. Her mother kept pulling out of the hug to look at her before fiercely enveloping her again. The other occupants in the ward looked curiously towards their reunion. One of the healers rushed out the door presumably to find her superior. Draco looked on at this happy scene and couldn't help the smile that was on his face. He met Hermione's eyes over her mother's shoulder and discreetly motioned towards the door, indicating his departure. She mouthed the words "thank you" in response. He turned and left them alone to reunite in privacy.

****

It was evening when Hermione finally left her parents and walked to the waiting room. They had a lot to catch up on. There was so much to tell them and explain. They had taken her meddling with their memories better than she had expected, but she expected that once the euphoria of reuniting wore off she'd have a lot more damage control to do. She walked towards the waiting room, with a spring in her step and smiling ear to ear. She hoped Draco had waited but she realized he would have been sitting there for hours if he did. She couldn't believe this was the very room where she spent weeks counting the floor tiles. She looked around and saw two familiar faces standing and walking towards her.

Ginny gave her a fierce hug while Harry stood back waiting his turn. "We heard your parents are okay?"

"Yes! They're completely fine. They remember everything! How did you find out?" she asked while discreetly glancing around the waiting room looking for Draco.

Harry responded, "we saw Malfoy here earlier. He told us. He went back to Hogwarts already." Hermione's heart fell a little at that. "What was he doing here anyways?" Ginny was staring shrewdly at Hermione.

"It was actually his idea that helped to restore my parents' memory. He wanted to come and see if it worked."

Harry nodded slowly as if he only half believed her.

"What are you two doing here?" Hermione tried changing the subject.

"To come see you of course!" explained Ginny jubilantly. "We figured you'd be visiting your parents since it's Christmas Eve. Thought you may want some company."

"Thanks guys! I really appreciate it. But I'm great now that my parents remember everything." She felt like a huge weight had been lifted off her shoulders. She couldn't remember ever being this happy before. But she wanted to go see Draco and thank him.

"Thanks so much for stopping by. It means a lot. But I really should be getting back to school."

"You could still come join us at the Weasely's" Harry offered. "Mrs. Weasely would be happy to have you."

"I know Harry. But I would just rather go back to Hogwarts. That way I can visit my parents easily and I'd prefer not to be around Ron right now."

"Can't you two make up? I know Ron feels terrible."

"Harry, I'll think about it. I'd like for us to be friends again, but I can't spend Christmas with him."

"But-"

"Harry," Ginny interrupted while looking intently at Hermione with a knowing expression. "Leave it alone. Let Hermione do what she wants. We'll see her again soon."

Hermione gave Ginny a grateful smile before saying her goodbyes and making her way back to the floo.

Hermione stepped into Professor McGonagall's office and was greeted by a smile from the headmistress.

"I heard the great news Ms. Granger. I'm so happy for you. I'm sure you have lots on your mind right now, but when you have a chance I was hoping you could document how you managed to get the countercurse to work so we can have the records updated."

"Thank you, Professor. But it was actually Draco who figured out the countercurse. But I'm sure he would be willing to help."

Professor McGonagall looking surprised at this revelation but recovered quickly before dismissing Hermione.

Hermione quickly left her office rushing towards the common room to speak with Draco. She had no idea what she was going to say to him but he was responsible for her parents' recovery. No words could thank him enough. She owed him everything and she wanted him to know that. Her heart was leaping out of her chest as she ran up the stairs. Usually the climb to the common room would exhaust her but today she had enough energy to wrestle a dragon.

She approached the entrance to the common room quickly and said the password before rushing in. Draco glanced up as she entered and stood up from across the room with an expectant look on his face. Hermione stared at him for an instant before rushing towards him, clasping his face between her hands and kissing him fiercely. She held him tight, her body pressed hard against him. He had stumbled backwards slightly when she embraced him but balanced himself while grabbing onto her hips. She kissed him passionately, feeling his soft lips against hers, before pulling away abruptly. She looked at him for an instant before seeing the confusion on his face. Her heart sunk at his expression and she quickly turned, muttering an apology and rushed into her bedroom.

She sat down on her bed catching her breath thinking. What had just happened? If she was being honest with herself, she realized she had been developing feelings for Draco for a while but with everything that was going on she had easily ignored them. When she saw him standing in the room she couldn't help herself. But based on the expression on his face, he clearly didn't feel the same way. How could she have thought he would be interested in her. She was a muggleborn. True, they may have become friends over the last few months but their friendship was tentative and grew from being in such close proximity to each other. She ran her hands through her hair in frustration. With an exasperated sigh she changed into her pajamas and headed to bed. She laid in bed wide awake with the events of the day playing over in her mind. She tried to look at what happened between her and Draco rationally. He was entitled to his own feelings and was allowed to not reciprocate the feelings she clearly had for him. Now that she knew how he felt she would just have to move on. Things would probably be awkward between them, but she would just hold her head up high and continue on.

She laid in her bed trying to remain impassive and pretending that she didn't care but it was with a sinking feeling that she realized the lion on her door hadn't made any noises since she entered her room. Emphasizing the fact that Draco hadn't tried to follow her and obviously didn't care.