Chapter Seventeen

Hermione walked quickly into the Great Hall for Christmas dinner. As was tradition, only one long table was set up with all the professors and remaining students eating together. She was the last to arrive. She apologized for being late and groaned inwardly as she was forced to take the only empty seat next to Draco who was sitting at the end of the table. The group ate dinner and made conversation, but Hermione remained quiet unless directly asked a question. At one point her knee brushed up against Draco's before she quickly pulled her leg away from his without making eye contact. He kept glancing over at her during their meal but she studiously kept her eyes focused on her plate or on the people around her. After dessert Hermione was the first to excuse herself wishing everyone a happy Christmas as she rose from her seat.

"I'm also going to head to bed," excused Draco, saying his farewells.

Hermione had no choice but to walk with him. The moment they left the Great Hall Draco fell into step beside her as they made their way back to their dormitory. Hermione felt the silence stretch between them. She discreetly eyed Draco out of the corner of her eye. He had an amused expression on his face, like he was actually enjoying himself.

Hermione couldn't take it any longer and needed to break the silence, "did you have a good Christmas?"

"It was pretty good," he paused before continuing, "what's wrong Granger? You seem a little uncomfortable. do you have an issue with me walking with you?"

"Of course not."

"Good. Hopefully we can make it back to our room without you trying to make out with me again," he smirked, and Hermione turned beet red.

They continued walking in an uncomfortable silence for a few minutes before Draco cleared his throat and spoke again sounding nervous "uh, did you like the Christmas gift I got you?"

For the second time tonight, Hermione mentally chastised herself for not opening her gifts this morning. "I – uh – haven't opened my presents yet."

Draco caught her eye and raised an inquisitive eyebrow.

"I was in a rush this morning and I figured I would just open them when I got back at the end of the day."

Draco nodded slowly. They finally reached the portrait of the Duchess before entering their common room. Draco made his way to sit on the couch. Hermione wanted to talk about what happened but didn't know how to bring it up. It was driving her mad that he seemed so cool while she was a wreak. "Draco... I got you a Christmas gift too," she blurted out. His eyebrows scrunched up in surprise. She reached into her book bag and pulled out a stack of papers. "I know it's not wrapped or anything."

He looked confused, "don't tell me you got me homework. I have enough of that as it is!" he exclaimed, as he rifled through the papers trying to make sense out of what she handed him.

"I did some research, I don't know if it will help or not, but I wrote down every reference I could find to people that were in similar positions to your parents and facing trial. All the cases I've cited are for people that have been released. I thought you might be able to use something to help with your parents' trial." There was a pause, while Hermione shuffled nervously from foot to foot, "I'll also keep looking, there's still a couple weeks left," she added hastily. Draco was staring at her with his mouth slightly agape. The silence stretched on and Hermione thought her nerves wouldn't be able to take it anymore, when Draco stood up and pulled her into a hug.

"Thanks Hermione." He held her for a long time before finally gently pulling away. He smiled at her, "my gift to you isn't as good."

"You didn't have to get me anything." He rolled his eyes at her in response. "Shall I go get it?" he nodded at her.

She returned a few seconds later holding a heavy brown package. The card on it read "To Granger. From Malfoy". She rolled her eyes at him as she read it and he chuckled appreciatively at her response. She ripped open the paper to reveal a clear heavy ball that resembled a crystal ball but it sat on an intricate stone base.

"It's a consector. We have one at Malfoy Manor in our library. You just tell it whatever book you're looking for, even just a topic and it will accio any books that are around it to you. I figured you could use it when you finish school and start your own library in your house. You already have enough books."

Hermione looked up at him. Did Draco actually sound nervous? This was a thoughtful, fantastic gift. She knew of consectors but they were supposed to be rather rare and quite expensive. Hogwarts didn't even have one. "Thank you so much Draco. This means so much to me."

"I wanted to give it to you earlier to help with your parents, but I had to special order it and it only arrived by owl last night." He grinned as he reached out to take the item from her, their hands brushing softly as he held it. "Just be careful what topic you tell it to search for. Once when I was about eight I wanted to see what would happen if I asked it to search the word "and". Well, the entire library came flying towards me. Books were everywhere, not one book was left on the shelf. I was actually knocked unconscious from all the books that hit me in the head. My father was so mad at me." Draco had been enthusiastically telling his story until he mentioned his father when he dropped off speaking.

"Thanks Draco." Hermione said warmly, "this is fantastic, and I can use it to do more research for your parents' trial."

They stared at each other for a moment, before Draco asked, "so, what else did you get?"

"I'm not sure. Let's go see."

They walked into Hermione's room together. The lion growled menacingly at Draco but let him in. She had received a sweater from Mrs. Weasely along with some baked pies, a large assortment of Weasely Wizarding Wheezes from George, a very revealing, tight dress from Ginny which Hermione blushed furiously when she opened and silently cursed the redhead, Draco's eyes bugged out of his head when he saw it, the Marauder's map from Harry with a note reading "I want this back at the end of the year, but I thought you may put it to more use". Draco was confused about this as he couldn't understand why Potter would give Hermione an old piece of parchment but Hermione quickly made up an excuse before continuing to open her gifts. She received a book on remedial potions from Theo with a note reading "because you need all the help you can get" and a gaudy strange looking necklace from Luna. Hermione tried to discreetly hide the gift from Ron to avoid opening it in front of Draco, but he noticed it and asked what it was. She opened the gift with hitched breath, before exhaling in a relieved sigh. It was just a book on magical careers. She was pretty sure that Ron was over her, especially after their conversation this afternoon but for a fleeting moment she was worried he would have sent her something inappropriate.

"Well that's it," she said as she moved the gifts off of her bed and onto her desk. She sat back down on her bed and was acutely aware that her and Draco were alone in her bedroom on her bed together. The same thought appeared to have occurred to Draco as he was fidgeting nervously.

"Well Goodnight Granger. Happy Christmas." Draco said as he jumped up and ran out of Hermione's room without even glancing back at her.

Hermione got up and closedthe door with a sinking feeling in her stomach. As she climbed into bed alone,she contemplated how she was going to get past this awkwardness with Draco andstill stay friends. She lay awake a long time that night with her mind racing.