Chapter Twenty

Hermione sat in her bedroom with the door opened waiting for Draco to return. All the other students had turned into bed over an hour ago. The fire was almost completely burnt out with only the embers glowing, casting eerie shadows throughout the common room. At first Hermione had returned and waited in the common room but after a few hours decided to sit at her desk where she still had a great vantage point of the common room entrance and could study while she waited.

Hermione was starting to consider that maybe Draco wasn't returning tonight and she should just go to bed when the door to the common room opened and Draco walked in, looking around. Hermione started to rise when Draco spotted her and walking into her room, grabbed her in a passionate embrace. He kissed her lips hungrily prodding hers apart as his left hand wrapped around her neck and was tangling in her hair and his other hand held her hip meshing their bodies together. She could feel him through their clothes as she pushed closer towards him, grinding her body into his with as much need as he had for her.

She abruptly pulled apart from him. Both of them gasping for air and looking at each other. Hermione searching his face.

"What are you doing?" she gasped as she tried to clear her head.

He rolled his eyes, "I would have thought it was obvious."

"But why?"

"Again, I would have thought it would be obvious Granger"

There was a silence while Hermione waited expectantly.

Draco sighed, relenting to the fact that he was going to have to talk to her instead of just continuing what he started. "For the smartest witch of our year, you really are quite dense."

Hermione's felt the blood rising to her cheeks, "it's just that you don't like me."

Draco rolled his eyes at her again. "You're going to make me say it aren't you?" He suddenly looked nervous as he looked her in the eyes with a serious expression on his face. "Of course I like you."

Hermione's heart started racing but doubt nagged at the back of her mind. "I don't understand. You haven't seemed interested at all."

"True." Hermione's heart fell before Draco continued sarcastically. "I just spend all my free time with you. Talk with you. Tell you about my problems. That doesn't seem like I like you at all. Now can we go back to making out?"

Hermione definitely wanted to do just that but she also wanted to talk about things and get some clarification. She paused for a second considering her options and for once told the rationale side of her brain to shut up. She covertly looked around at the bedroom door which was still open. She used non-verbal and wandless magic to quietly close it, before smiling invitingly at Draco, who smirked before tentatively reaching up and stroking her face, while slowly leaning in and kissing her again. This time it was a slow, deep kiss but she could still feel the urgency behind it. His lips were soft against hers as they moved together.

He led her toward the bed as he quickly broke the kiss to remove his shirt. They paused staring at each other. Hermione taking in his smooth pale skin under the shine of the moonlight. She hesitantly started stroking his chest, her breath hitching. She wanted to feel every part of him. He stared down at her unmoving until she looked up and their eyes met. They gazed deep into each other's eyes as he reached down and started to lift her shirt up. "Draco, I've never done this before," she whispered nervously. He looked at her with surprise on his face. He suspected she was inexperienced but had not expected her to be a virgin.

"Do you want to?" His voice asked in earnest without any expectation or pressure. He was leaving the decision up to her. A wave of emotion flooded over her as she pulled his face back to hers and started kissing him deeply. He slowly broke the kiss as he trailed kisses down the side of her neck and earlobe.

"I uh... I do, but I..." she wasn't sure what she was saying or even what she wanted.

Draco paused, pulling away from her slightly to put his shirt back on. Hermione stepped back, glancing away guiltily. Draco reached out and took her hand, kissing it before guiding her gently towards the bed, laying down with her in his arms. She wanted to apologize, the moment was gone and she had ruined it. The moonlight shone in from the window illuminating their faces. She looked up at him, opening her mouth to speak, but he interrupted her, by reaching up and lightly brushing a stray strand of hair that had fallen across her face to back behind her ear.