Chapter Thirty-Eight

"Miss Granger. I'm glad to see you're in good health. I've been assured that you are completely unharmed. If you require any time to recover, please let me know and we can make the appropriate arrangements." Professor McGonagall said kindly, as Hermione stepped through the floo.

Hermione assured her she was fine as she left the office and ran straight into Draco. He grabbed her elbows to keep her from falling backwards. Once she recovered her balance, he immediately let go of her and they started walking towards their common room. The knots in her stomach intensified. "You waited for me."

"Yeah of course I did." He said flatly, while looking forward. They continued walking in silence, while Hermione tried to figure out what was wrong. "Are you alright?" he asked.

"If one more person asks me how I am, I'm going to scream. I am completely fine." Draco's lips turned downwards fractionally. "Draco," she continued tentatively, "is there something wrong?"

He took a deep breath before stopping. They were in the middle of a deserted corridor. "I don't think we should see each other anymore."

Hermione opened her mouth and then closed it again. "I don't understand." Her voice sounded strangely detached from her body.

"I just think it's best if we end it." He still wasn't looking at her.

"Why? Does this have to do with today? Or did your parents say something? Or Harry or Ron?"

"No one said anything Hermione. It just isn't working."

She fought to keep control. Tears threatened to spill over and her bottom lip started quivering. Draco seemed emotionless, like this had no effect on him. "I thought you loved me," she whispered.

That comment seemed to finally break the mask he was wearing. She saw for a brief moment his face crumple before he regained complete composure. It happened so fast she wondered if she imagined it. "I never said that."

"You didn't have to." She stared at him, waiting for him to finally meet her eyes. When he couldn't avoid her any longer, he glanced down, glassy dark chocolate eyes meeting pearly silver eyes. "You at least owe me the truth."

He struggled for a moment, frantically looking around before relenting. "They were after me Hermione. You could have been killed because of me."

"But I wasn't-"

"Don't stand there and act like everything is okay just because you managed to be unharmed this time. This isn't even the first time this year you've almost been hurt because of someone trying to get to me. I can't do it Hermione. I can't be with you knowing that you will always be targeted. If something happened to you, I would never be able to forgive myself."

"Draco, please stop trying to protect me. I'm perfectly capable of defending myself."

"That's not the point Hermione. I know you're smart and I know you're strong. But you shouldn't be put in danger because of me. And one day, you're not going to be lucky. This is exactly what my parents warned me about. You once asked me what they said when we visited their house and you left the room. They told me that the letters will never stop. I'll be in more danger being with you than I even am now. How could I do that to you."

"Were these the people sending you the letters"

"I don't know. Maybe some of them, but I receive letters from lots of people. From both sides of the war."

She touched his arm lightly, standing close enough that she could smell his natural scent. They stared at each other. She waited hoping she would see him relent. But the determination in his eyes was obvious. He had made up her mind and she choked back a sob. She felt like she was drowning. She couldn't breathe. Her heart was racing as she fought back the tears, not wanting him to see her cry. She couldn't hold it in any longer and turned away from him, rushing back to her bedroom. She could hear her lone footsteps echoing throughout the corridor, while Draco stood there and let her go.

                                                                                                 ****

She hadn't slept. She laid in her bed weeping all night. Every time she thought she had control, a fresh wave of anguish would roll over her again and the tears would start flowing. Sometime around dawn there were no tears left and she laid in bed, feeling empty, with dark thoughts swirling around her brain. She was trying so hard to rationalize this. She knew he loved her and she loved him. Shouldn't that be enough. But the way he could stand there and end it, filled her with doubt. She would never have been able to do that to him. He seemed completely unaffected by it while she was left broken. She knew their relationship would be difficult but presumed that they could face anything together, but that's not how Draco felt. With a start she recalled the advice her mother had given her. As much as she wanted to be with Draco. She didn't want to be with someone who didn't treat her as an equal. Who didn't think she was strong enough to face the dangers that life held. Who felt the need to protect her all the time instead of viewing their relationship as one where they protected each other.

A knock on her door made her jump and she hurried to answer it, hoping it was Draco and they could still talk this out, regardless of what she had just been thinking.

Ginny Weasley stood in her doorway. A concerned expression gracing her features. Hermione let her enter and closed the door before returning to sit on the bed.

"Theo told me what happened Hermione. I'm really sorry. Do you want to talk about it?"

Hermione sat silently, staring out the windows. The sun shone brightly on the grounds, nestled within a vibrant blue sky. It seemed unfair that the day would seem so perfect when her mood was so dark.

"Hermione, I know how you felt about him and I know how he feels about you. It was obvious to anyone who watched you. Maybe he just needs some time. Maybe he'll change his mind." She gently took Hermione's hand. Squeezing it reassuringly. "Is there anything I can get you? Some food or water?" Hermione continued to sit there in silence. "Hermione, please is there anything I can do for you?"

"I know what I want to do." Hermione said in a surprisingly strong voice. She had expected it to quiver or crack from disuse but was pleased to find it sounded normal, although deadpan.

"What do you want to do?" Ginny asked kindly, squeezing her hand again.

"I'm going to work for the Ministry." Ginny raised her eyebrows in confusion. "I want to make a difference in this world. I want to make things better. I want to end the discrimination and violence. I want to eliminate the use of dementors. I'm going to apply for a job in magical law enforcement. Our system is broken right now but I'm going to fix it.

Ginny hesitated, "Hermione, you're going to do great at anything you do. And if anyone can make a difference it's you. If there's anything I can do to help let me know." She paused, choosing her words carefully, "and what about Draco?" She asked softly.

"Draco made his decision. I can't force him to be with me. Nor do I want to be with someone who I have to convince to be in a relationship. It's over."