Chapter Eighteen

The remainder of the Christmas holiday passed uneventfully. Hermione and Draco resumed spending all of their time together but never discussed what had happened between them. They spent a lot of time each day in the library with Hermione's new consector trying to find more useful information that may help Draco's parents in their upcoming trial. As December came to an end and January began Draco became more and more withdrawn. He hardly ate and the dark bags under his eyes and sunken look to his face confirmed that he wasn't sleeping.

Draco was certain that his parents would not get released and a small part of him wondered if it was justified. The few times he had briefly touched upon the subject with Hermione, she immediately picked up on what Draco wasn't saying and reassured him that although she agreed that his parents were to some extent guilty, that there were also extenuating circumstances to consider and perhaps they did deserve some type of punishment but that the dementor's kiss was not the solution.

To make matters worse, there had been increasing reports in the Daily Prophet about wizards attacking suspected Death Eaters. Hermione had read an article last week where a witch had tortured and killed a suspected Death Eater, because that wizard had performed the cruciatus curse on her daughter. However, it had been proven that the wizard had been under the imperius curse at the time, which resulted in his release. The witch was now in Azcaban awaiting trial, and there was a general out roar of public support for her release. Hermione knew that Draco read the paper each morning and she would discreetly study his expression, over the top of whatever book she was reading, as he took in the information. If anyone else had watched him read the paper he would have seemed completely unaffected by the news. But Hermione noticed, the whitening of his knuckles as he tightened his grip on the paper, the way his lips drew into a straight line and the slight narrowing of his eyes.

When Theo and Blaise returned from holidays, Draco lied to them about what they were doing in the library and made an excuse that he was studying. Hermione could tell that they didn't quite believe him, but they let it drop. Both Blaise and Theo seemed a little more uncomfortable around Draco since they returned but continued to try acting normal and if anything, were louder and more sarcastic around him in the hopes of cheering him up.

It was an early Wednesday morning in January when Hermione exited her bedroom to stumble upon Blaise and Daphne in a passionate snogging session on the couch. She stopped short, not sure if she should apologize or make her presence known. They hadn't made any sign of recognizing she was there. Hermione quickly regained her composure and made a direct beeline for the door. She wasn't too surprised by this as she had suspected that Daphne liked Blaise from the way that Daphne was always hanging around and glancing in their direction. She had never been too certain on whether Blaise returned her feelings, but apparently that mystery was solved. She quickly exited the common room and stumbled over Draco who was sitting just outside the common room making paper birds fly around the landing. She quickly regained her balance after tripping over him, but inadvertently made all of the birds fall to the floor after startling Draco.

"What are you doing out here?" she asked as she straightened up.

"Avoiding Blaise and Daphne. Are they still going at it?"­

"Yes" she tutted with a look of disgust on her face. "Why didn't you just return to your bedroom?"

"Theo snores."

"You could have gone to the library or great hall"

"Granger, I have been out here since 6:30 this morning. I am not going to the library before even Madame Pince wakes up."

"You could have come to my bedroom." Hermione suggested without thinking. As she heard how it sounded her hand rushed over her mouth and her cheeks turned pink. Draco smirked and chuckled at her expression. "That's not what I meant!"

"Calm down Granger! I know you can't take your mind off me. I have this effect on all women!"

Hermione didn't bother responding. At least Draco seemed in better spirits this morning and that made her smile.

"Are you telling me they've been at that, since 6:30 this morning?" Hermione asked incredulously.

Draco shrugged noncommittally.

"Shall we go get some breakfast?" Hermione asked trying to regain some of her composure.

Draco caught her eye and stared at her from his seat on the floor for a moment. Hermione felt her heart rate increase as she looked into his eyes. He slowly nodded at her and reached out to her for a hand up. As she took his hand she felt sparks shoot up her hand and a warm feeling pool deep in her stomach. She groaned internally at that reaction as they made their way to breakfast together.

*****

Between trying to help Draco with research for his parents upcoming trial and classes, time sped by and Hermione found herself taking her seat next to Ginny in Transfigurations at the end of the day. Out of the corner of her eye Hermione could see Ginny glancing periodically at Draco's table. Hermione sighed and ignored her.

"Good Afternoon class," greeted Professor McGonagall "today we are going to work on human transfiguration but specifically transfiguring someone other than yourself. I assume you all recall how human transfiguration is completed and have been practicing in your free time." She paused. Hermione nodded seriously in her direction as she sat up straighter, but noticed most other students glanced guiltily away. "I'd like you to join a small group and work on this together." She motioned for them to begin.

"Let's go get a group" said Ginny excitedly, as she stood up, grabbing Hermione's hand and dragging her over to Blaise, Draco and Theo's table.

"Ginny, I think we can work in pairs." Hermione glanced quickly around the room, most people were working in pairs or groups of three. She noticed one group of four in the corner.

"McGonagall said small groups. This is a small group." As she sat down with the boys. The boys all looked slightly surprised but said nothing.

Hermione took charge and started dividing the group into pairs and giving instructions before Ginny interrupted her. "So how was your Christmas breaks?" Hermione rolled her eyes and turned to Theo to start practicing.

"Not my face Princess. I don't want you to ruin my money maker!" He extended his arm towards her, to let her try and transfigure. "Mine was really good. My mom and I spent it together. Ate lots of food. Opened presents. How about you?"

By this time Hermione could tell that Ginny was almost bursting. She had clearly been waiting for someone to ask her that. "It was alright," she said slowly and a little sadly. Hermione glanced up at this abrupt change in her demeanor. "I mean, it was fantastic spending time with Harry." Blaise rolled his eyes and Draco scoffed at that comment. Clearly both in disbelief that anyone could have a good time seeing Harry. Ginny continued, ignoring their expressions. "It was a great holiday overall, I ate so much, Christmas was great, but it was just so annoying having Ron around."

"I bet!" Interrupted Theo.

Ginny continued, ignoring his outburst, "he just spent the whole holiday talking about Hermione. Trying to figure out ways to get back together with you, asking whether we thought you would take him back."

Hermione was shocked by this revelation. That was not the impression she had ever got from Ron nor could she really picture Ron acting like that. She thought it had been quite clear from both of their perspectives that they should just stay friends. Ginny had an evil glint in her eyes and she kept glancing towards Draco, gauging his reaction. Hermione instantly became suspicious. She looked at Draco too, but the stoic expression remained on his face. Hermione quickly changed the subject and brought the conversation back to their transfigurations assignment.