Chapter Fourteen

Beast Boys POV;

Of course the whole city would be there. It was kind of ridiculous how packed the town square was.

Unlike most balls, this one was held outside in our local town square. The sun had set, and the trees were decorated with white twinkling lights that resembled stars.

It was beautiful, and everyone was dressed to impress. It didn't take long for Cyborg to find a girl to dance with, but I opted out and simply sat at a table, picking at a plate of food I had grabbed.

It wasn't much fun when I was alone. Especially when Raven wasn't to far off, dancing around with Roy and enjoying herself. But at least she was happy.

I nibbled on a piece of cake as Starfire sat next to me, a disappointed look on her face.

"You never asked her?" I shook my head. "You are quiet the stupid." She said with a sigh. She glanced over at Raven and plopped her elbow on the table, resting her chin in her hand. "I think you should go and do the cut in."

I laughed bitterly. "I'm pretty sure I ruined everything I had going with her, Star."

She rolled her eyes, "shut up." She said blandly. "Your cat and mouse game is.." She pondered the word she was looking for.

"Annoying?" Robin interjected.

I burst out laughing, "dude, you can't say anything. You're the most obsessed person I know."

Robins cheeks blushed as he turned from us, "beast boy, she gave up a huge chunk of herself so you could live." He took stars hand and started to pull her toward the dance floor. "She didn't do that for nothing."

Then I was alone again with my thoughts. Thoughts that I was tired of having. I was tired of not having Raven. Tired of thinking about her every minute and not being able to act on it.

I balled my fists and shoved off the table, quickly walking over to Roy and Raven before I lost all my motivation.

I tapped on his shoulder, "May I cut in?" I asked, my eyes in the floor. I couldn't believe how nervous I was about this. Sense when was I nervous about anything?

"Garfield?" Raven asked me softly. I looked up to see her smiling at me, Roy rolled his eyes.

"I'll go get us some punch then." He muttered as he pulled away from Raven.

The song was slow- but I was hesitant to touch her. Scared she would pull away like she always did.

But I took a step toward her and held out my hand. She laid her hand delicately in mine and I pulled her close, holding her hand in mine as I wrapped my other arm around her waist. We were about the same height, she might have been an inch or so taller then me.

"What are you doing?" She asked quietly, not really looking at me, but at everything else around us.

"Dancing with you." I whispered, "what do you mean?"

She finally met my eyes, "Why now? Why do you start showing me attention at the last minute? Is it because Terra back fired again? Am I just your last resort...?"

I shook my head, squeezing my eyes shut. "No, of course not, Rae." I sighed. "What do you want me to say? She came out of no where- I didn't want anything to do with her."

"That's why you asked her to the ball?"

"She invited herself..." I looked at her for a long second, "I wanted to ask you." I said softly. "And that back fired. And I missed my chance with you- big time." I spun her out, and spun her back in quickly, pulling her toward me. "But you do look beautiful, Rae. You always do- but tonight, without the cloak." I nodded. "You're gorgeous."