Nine

Pic is Asher's fit^^^

Mia and I end up going to Starbucks and getting our nails done. It's amazing, and the best part? School isn't out for another thirty minutes, so I have time to go back and watch lacrosse practice without Brandon finding out I was ever gone and she can make cheer practice.

We stomp up the bleachers and sit under the covered space, we're the only ones here and we are all smiles. It was a good day.

"I think we both needed that, I just regret not getting a massage too!" Mia laughs. I shake my head and lay down, she loves massages. 

I glance up at the clouds, despite the autumn chill in the air, the sky is blue and the sun shines. I close my eyes and take in the relaxation. At this moment I'm just a normal girl who ditched for the day with her best friend. No doctors or shrinks, no little blue pills, no disorder. It's exhilarating.

The bell rings and I pop an eye open to glance around, Mia says goodbye and leaves for cheer. I tell her to say hi to Lauren for me. A moment later I hear the tell-tale teasing of the boys taking the field. 

I fall asleep at some point with a smile on my face.

***

"Evie?" Someone asks.

I stir from my nap and open my eyes to the intruder. It's Asher. I sit up quickly.

"I'm sorry for waking you." He apologizes.

"No I'm glad you did, I wanted to talk to you." I yawn. 

"You weren't in class today," He raises an eyebrow.

"No, I wasn't," I say. Thankfully he drops it.

"We got an A on the project." He squirms dancing around the elephant.

"Good..." I reply. "So..."

"You've met Audrey Rose...." He finally says.

"Yes. She's very cute, but she drools a lot," I say to ease the tension. He laughs out loud and all awkwardness is gone. 

"I think she does it on purpose." He agrees.

"So what's up with her? Liam told me that she's your sister." I ask wanting to know the story. 

"It's a long story, you sure?" 

"We have an hour until practice is over." I motion to the boys. He nods and takes a deep breath.

"Well, where do I begin? My parents are very busy and aren't really around much. About two years ago they came home, and we were able to be a normal family especially when we heard the news about Audrey Rose. They were always home, and even though they still worked we were being functional for once." He laughs.

"It didn't last long, neither of them is really suited for family life. Don't get me wrong, they love me and each other, they just don't settle well. After Audrey Rose was born, they sent her to our Aunt as they did for me and went back to work. I couldn't let them, our Aunt is a terrible woman." He shudders.

"I have lived alone in our apartment for a long time, I have money. So I decided to raise her myself. I pretty much blackmailed my Aunt to get Audrey Rose back. The boys helped with her nursery and everything, and so her and I have been just fine without our parents. They've been gone for six months now. God, she's six months old already." He says in disbelief.

I listen carefully to him until he's finished talking, it's been about forty-five minutes of him just telling me about Audrey Rose and his situation. His story explains a lot though.

"Wow, I had no idea. It looked to me like you're doing a great job though, big brothers are the best." I glance down to where Brandon is sprinting. I don't know what else to say.

"I can't thank you enough for what you did though. She has been crying relentlessly for the last week or so." 

"Anything Asher, I'm glad that you told me," I say sincerely. He glances into the distance for a bit.

"I have a friend who takes care of her while I'm at school, but for the most part, no one knows about her. No one knows that I have her and not my Aunt. She... she needs a woman's touch I think. She's practically being raised by Liam, Sam, and I. Would you maybe want to babysit?" He asks sheepishly.

I think for a moment. Do I want to? I'm pretty good with babies, but what happens she's older? Or worse, what if I have an attack while watching her? I'd never forgive myself. He clearly needs help though... I clap my hands.

"I'd love to Asher, she seems so sweet and I'd love to help, but... I can't. I'll tell you why someday." I reply. His face falls slightly. "But I know someone who is AMAZING with babies and would be such a positive influence on Audrey Rose. You just so happen to know her."

"Really, who?" He asks confused. 

"Camille." I offer. She really is great with kids... although I may be slightly playing matchmaker. His face reddens.

"Are you sure, Evie? Audrey Rose is the most important person in my life, do you honestly think I should ask Camille?" 

"I really do." I smile, after thinking about it. He lets out a sigh of relief.

"I can't wait to get more help... if she agrees that is." 

"I know she will, especially if you throw in a reward. Monetary or otherwise," I tease with a wink. He turns red again, and I laugh.

"Thank you, Evie. For listening, keeping my secret, and everything" He says. 

"Of course, you're my friend now Asher, I'd do anything for my friends." 

We stand and I give him a big hug. I hold him for a minute, I really want him to know that everything will be okay. As soon as we step away his phone rings. 

"Take it," I say. I notice the boys have begun putting the goals away, I'll have to go soon. We walk together down to the front of the school him on the phone, and me admiring the approaching sunset. 

"It was Sam, I have to get back to the apartment, but thank you again for everything." He grabs my hand and kisses it, I laugh and pull away. 

"Bye Asher, I'll see you tomorrow," I shake my head merrily. He leaves smiling and I'm alone again. 

I breathe in the last rays of sunshine. It was a good day, and I got away with everything. . .

"Was that Asher Klein talking to you?" Brandon asks with a scowl coming out of the school to go home.

Almost everything.