Thirty Six

We'd all settled in nicely upstairs. Pajamas had been changed into and everyone was being civil. I was cuddled up against Liam's chest under Brandon's watchful eye.

Everyone was too enraptured with each other, so the Polar Express just played in the background. Camille and Asher were curled up on the love seat, whispering to each other and laughing quietly. It warms my heart almost as much as seeing Mia and Brandon sitting next to each other holding hands with red faces. Perhaps cutest of all were Sam's soft snores as he sleeps with his head in Ollie's lap on the floor.

Mia clears her throat when Liam leans down and presses his lips to mine, pulling me if possible, even closer.

"Ok, no one is watching this movie," she grabs the remote. "You guys are boring. Let's play a game."

Brandon nods his head quickly in agreement. Camille sits up with a sigh and stretches.

"Do we have to?" She groans.

"Yes," Mia insists shooting her a glare.

"Why don't you guys go down to Evie's room to play and I'll stay up here with Sam." Ollie says.

Everyone glances in their direction and nods. Brandon and Mia make their way down the stairs, Camille and Asher soon after.

Embarrassment spikes through me and I just about sprint away from Liam down the stairs. I threw myself at him. Like the slut everyone thinks I am, I practically begged him to devour me. It physically hurts to remember.

"Hurry up. We are playing 7 minutes in heaven." Mia explains with a glint in her eye.

"You're such a child, Mia." Camille says.

"Come on, be nice. It could be fun." Asher defuses the situation quickly.

I settle on my bed. Laying in Liam's arms for so long made me drowsy. It's the strangest thing, when my head is against his chest, the beating of his heart calms mine down as well and I'm able to sleep. Not an uncommon remedy for insomnia but one I never thought would work on me.

"Executive decision, Brandon and I will go first." Mia declares before dragging my poor brother into my closet.

I don't think they'll be able to make a mess of things in 7 minutes. I glance at Camille, exchanging a similar sentiment: we'll play along with her fun for thirty minutes then we are going to bed.

Camille stands, and in one fluid motion goes out the window to sit on the roof. I give Asher a smile and a wink, nodding him towards Camille. I regret it when he's gone too.

"Why are you avoiding me?" Liam asks, sitting on my bed.

I sit beside him, giving him a wide breadth. Not two hours ago I stripped nearly naked for him right here. I bunch the duvet up and release it over and over.

"I don't know what you mean." I play dumb.

"Don't. Don't act like nothing's wrong." He sighs running a hand through his hair. "Come here."

I don't budge.

He leans over and pulls me in between his legs, putting a hand on my head so I lean it against his shoulder. Then he takes a deep breath.

"When I fight, I think of you now." What is he doing? "When I go out with Ash to these fights, I used to fight for myself. Maybe because I was angry and hurting because of my mom. Maybe because I needed something else besides dealing drugs to have money. I don't know, but I do know that you are the only girl I've ever though about during a fight. You're mine now and you aren't going anywhere."

I don't know what to say. He continues.

"Ever since that first day, when you told me to sit my ass down in my own seat, I've known. Even if I didn't want to admit it."

In my shocked silence he keeps talking, absentmindedly playing with my hair.

"I guess sometimes I feel so frantic, like I'll snap you in two or lose you any minute. I was holding you so close when we took pictures today and I want it to be like that always, Evie. I need to know you, to understand you. It might be selfish but I want to be your best friend, and your boyfriend."

A sharp need to bury my condition even lower comes over me. He deserves to know, I know he does. But hearing how he feels about me... I don't want him to find out the truth and realize he doesn't feel that way anymore.

"Liam, you do know me. All that I am is here." I gesture around me. "Brandon, my mom, my friends. My dad left us because he couldn't deal with having me and Brandon, I haven't seen him since." I say, turning to give him a kiss. "I want to be your best friend and girlfriend, so let's do this."

I know I'll regret lying to him.

"I'm taking you on a real date this week." Liam sits back and says in a matter-of-fact tone. He's letting me off the hook. I know he'll want a real answer soon.

"I'd like that," I smile.

I don't know what I'm worrying about. It's Liam. Either the best or worst decision I'll ever make. There's no need to self-sabotage and make it a bad one.

The sound of his heartbeat and his arms around me pull me to sleep. I'm almost certain Mia and Brandon have been in my closet longer than 7 minutes, now that I think about it. Meh.

My eyes drift shut.