Twenty Six

"Liam I want to believe you." I say. My heart jumps in delight though, I do believe him, I just want to be sure.

"Please, Evie. What I'm saying is true. I'll show you any part of my world if you just ask." He was begging. I liked it. No one had ever begged me for anything, let alone Liam Davis. He who was completely separate from me and every part of my world. Then something struck me, he was a criminal... or so they said.

"Do you really deal drugs?" I ask hesitantly. 

"No, I used to do drug runs, but once I started fighting I didn't need the cash anymore. The only one who still has ties to any of that is Asher, and that's only because his dad is in some shit with the Russian Mob." This was a lot to digest, and it must have shown on my face because he backtracked quickly.

"If it really worries you though I mean I can bring you to a fight sometime if you want." 

"Really?" I'm surprised at the offer.

"Yeah, it's not fight club, Princess, everything is pretty civil." 

"What about um... others." This is the part that concerned me the most, I didn't want to be just another one of his girls. I knew he had them, I knew he slept around and there was no way he was a virgin but well... I wasn't going to share.

"Other what?" 

"Girls." 

"Oh." He looks at me and has the decency to be embarrassed. "Well I haven't been with anyone since the first kiss." 

This surprises me, and seals the deal for everything. I want him back, and I want him to actually be my boyfriend this time. I don't want to scare him off though so I decide to let him know after we know each other better.  

"Okay." 

"Okay?" 

"We're good, I'm going to go over there," I say motioning to the dance floor where I want nothing more than to ahem dance with him, "and you're welcome to join me."

I leave him open mouthed in the kitchen, and go to the dance floor. Inside I'm really nervous, but I'm trying to exude confidence. I've never danced like the people around me are, I try to recall everything Dirty Dancing taught me and lose myself to the music. I'm glad for the darkness that hides whatever embarrassing thing I may be doing.

I don't think I'm doing to well on my own, but I don't have to worry long because Liam comes up behind me. The party seems to still and suddenly it's just the two of us in our own little bubble.

"As sexy as that was, you don't need to make you movements so... extra." He laughs. 

"You came over didn't you?" I smack him. That's all I'd wanted, I figure now he can lead. 

"Nothing could keep me away, Princess." He says. I duck my head to hide my blush, I don't know why, it's so dark I can't even see his face.

"I don't know what I'm doing" I admit. To this he responds as I'd hoped. He grabs my hips sending lightning bolts through me and pulls us closer together until I'm right up against him.

"Do what feels right, I'll help." 

So I do, copying a girl to the left of me, I start to sway my hips. Liam tenses behind me and I can tell I've done the right thing. It's all the encouragement I need. There on the floor with Liam I felt so normal. Everything I ever wanted was there for me to take, and so I did. I bend down lower and push harder against him and his hands go to my hips. I flip my hair back and pull his lips to mine.

I miss it so much. It just feels right, his lips on mine. I'm turned around and we face each other. He puts his hands on my back and mine go to his hair. If I didn't believe what he said before, I do now.

There's no faking the way he just relaxed once I was in his arms like he'd found home. 

***

She was in my arms again, swaying with me in my living room that Sam had managed to turn into a mosh pit. I was a starved man, holding her reminded me of peaceful times I had when I wasn't desperately trying to live up to the reputation that I'd been given. 

I didn't want to push her, but I didn't want to be down here with all these other people either. How could I ask her to come with me to my room without it coming off as pushy? I guess I could tell her to come find me? A replica of the game she pulled not twenty minutes earlier?

"I'm going to my room, I don't want to push you, but if you want to talk more come find me upstairs." I tell her. That was good. 

"Okay."  She says.

I leave her then and make my way to my room up the stairs and at the end of the hall. I pass Sam's room again and I notice I didn't see him downstairs. I wonder where he disappeared to. 

I gently open and close my door and scramble to pick things up off the floor, she would come, I knew she would. 

I sit on the ground against my bed and wait.