Twenty

Asher turned bright red when I asked about Camille.

"We've been seeing more of each other since she's over all the time for Audrey Rose. It's only natural that we're getting closer. She says we can start teaching Audrey Rose how to walk soon since she can already sit up on her own."

"That's exciting!" I exclaim. I really do miss the baby.

"Do you think Camille would go to the Snow Ball with me?"

"I think you have a really good chance if you ask." I encourage.

We converse about my health and the Ball a bit more while we finish a gravity lab sheet. I've missed Asher, he really is one of my best friends now.

When the bell rings we go our separate ways he to AP Statistics and I to calculus. I tell him to ask Camille during fourth period business and marketing tomorrow, something simple.

Math is a drag. The whole time my thoughts are consumed by Him. I still can't believe he bit me. That means he liked the kiss too right? Would he really toy with me like this? I needed to figure it out, I didn't want to keep secrets from him anymore if he was going to be a bigger part of my life.

It's difficult though, I just don't know him.

I find my seat in Government. We don't have assigned seats, but everyone kind of chose where they would be and stayed there early on in the year. Which is why I'm surprised when the bell rings and Sam sits next to me.

"Hey Evie" He says super-casually like we've been friends forever.

"Hey Sam?" I say curiously.

"Sorry I had to see what the deal was with you, Asher and Liam keep talking about you and you've met Audrey Rose but we've never spoken before, beautiful." He says flirtatiously. "I mean I even have met Camille and know her."

"Right," I laugh " Well I'm a good friend of Asher's and Liam is my... Liam and I are... we sit next to each other in English."

"Any friend of Ash's is a friend of mine. Now did you know--" Sam launches into a story of Audrey Rose as a newborn and how she loved riding in the mommy pack thing but only with him, even though it looked funny on Liam.

I try to imagine Liam wearing a babybjorn with Audrey Rose in it and I burst out laughing. I really like Sam he's the kind of person who puts you at ease.

"You're a gem, Evie." He says when I finish a story about Camille and I in middle school. "I was wondering if ma--"

"Don't finish that sentence, Man."

Liam.

"Why not?" Sam huffs.

"Hey"I greet him.

"Hey," he replies sliding into the seat on the other side of me. At least today was a work/free day. "I see you've met Sam."

"Yeah I love him," I say throwing Sam a smile which he returns.

"I wanted to ask her that's why dipshit." Liam responds to Sam. Sam just shakes his curly head laughing, and stands to go flirt with the girls in the back.

"It was cool to talk to you, E" Sam calls me the shortened nickname my friends sometimes do 'E'. I don't mind it.

"You too, Sam."

I wait until he leaves to turn to Liam who is throwing a fit at being ignored for even a second. When he sees me looking at him though, he goes back to brooding.

"Want to come to a party at Sam and I's on Wednesday?" he asks

"Sam and I's" I question.

"Yeah our apartment."

"You have your own place? Why?" I glance at Sam, I never would've guessed

"I don't really like to talk about it, but long story short I'm an orphan and Sam ran away from home. Tell anyone and I'll kill you." I glance at Sam, I never would've guessed, he seems so happy. What is with these boys and their parents? They all live without adults.

"No I would never. I wouldn't want people telling my business, I won't tell yours."

"So will you come?"

"Like go with you?" I ask a little hopefully.

"No, just come." I deflate a little but don't lose all hope.

"Sure, I guess." I loosely agree.

The bell rings, popping our little bubble and throwing me back into anxious mode as I try to imagine what will happen in detention today.

"See you in a bit," He says. Then he's gone.

"Bye, Evie!" Sam says on his way out.

I meet my friends out in the stadium and we eat lunch together huddling around Boston's space heater. Lauren made hot cocoa for us today as well.

We laugh and everyone discusses their plans for the Snow Ball. It's not until this moment that I realize that everyone has a date except me.

Boston asked Lauren while I was in the hospital.

Brandon asked Mia this morning.

Ollie was flying solo as he called it and wanted to keep it that way.

And even though she didn't know it yet, Camille would be going with Asher. I just know she will say yes when he asks her tomorrow.

That leaves me.

Oh well the logical part of me said.

Maybe Liam will ask you the hopeless romantic in me said.

After that we begin to talk winter plans. The early December chill has everyone thinking of Christmas Break and everything that goes with it. It's a tradition to have a big group sleepover and exchange gifts and watch Christmas movies at some point during break and this year will be no different.

We finish up the possible list of movies (ranging from Home Alone to Elf) to vote on tomorrow at lunch, then the bell rings dismissing us to fifth.

I trudge to Spanish and a familiar stress falls over me.

Liam.