Eleven

I feel much better when I wake up and shower with a smile, determined not to have my day spoiled.

At breakfast my indiscretion from yesterday seems to have been forgiven. I'm grateful. To prove it I take my pills right in front of them before eating my omelet.

On the drive to school, Brandon and I sing to the radio like we normally would.

Walking into English, I'm greeted with a pursed-lipped Mrs. Baker. She hands me a pink slip. An after school detention for skipping yesterday. It looks like Mia didn't get one, I'm glad since I was the one who dragged her out of class.

Whispers erupt.

She skipped yesterday!

A detention, probably her first one!

Poor girl will get eaten alive in there, Liam Davis practically lives in that room!

Shh!!!

I trudge to the back of the room and Liam snatches the slip from my hand. He let's out a low whistle and bumps his shoulder against mine.

"Damn princess, you actually left yesterday. I didn't know you had it in you. I mean I thought you really lost it for a second back there. I almost went a little crazy myself last night. Audrey Rose is legitimately a little bitch, just like her brother." He whispers. I giggle and take note of the circles under his eyes. Asher clearly called for backup last night.

Mrs. Baker writes my name on the board, announcing to everyone that I got detention. Mia whips around and stares at me apologetically, I shrug my shoulders at her and wave her away in an 'it's fine' motion.

"Finally the bitch gets what she deserves!" Someone calls out from the class.

My mouth drops open, I didn't know anyone felt that way about me. Liam of all people stands up and moves towards the kid.

"The fuck did you say?" He demands. He sounds angry. The class goes silent.

"Evie Walker is a snobby bitch, it's about time she got her due!" The boy shouts again. What did I do to him? I think I'm going to cry, I don't talk to many people besides my friends, but I still care what they think about me.

Liam looks back at me, before grabbing the kid by his collar and marching back to me. He slams his head into our table. The boy, I think his name is Eric, makes a strangled noise.

"Mr. Davis!" Mrs. Baker screeches in alarm.

"Apologize, fucker!" Liam growls, ignoring her.

"Liam! Let him go, he...he's entitled to his opinion." I say halfheartedly. Inside though, I love that Liam is doing this for me. Eric may be entitled to his opinion, but that doesn't mean he has to voice it.

Eric turns and punches Liam in the face while he's distracted by me. I gasp and my hands fly to my mouth. Liam punches him back, and the whole class starts videoing it.

"Fight! Fight! Fight!" They shout, and fight they do. Could it be called that? Liam is pulverizing the poor kid.

He gets pulled off, and then comes to sit down again. Mrs. Baker scowls and writes Liam's name on the board and adds a check to both our names for good measure. I try to hide my smile.

"Our names look pretty good together, Princess." He grins. A blush creeps it's way up my neck, but I regain my composure quickly.

"I don't like violence, Liam, please don't do anything like that  again, not for me." I murmur.

His whole demeanor shifts to one of cold indifference, and his icy new attitude makes me uncomfortable.

Thankfully the bell rings and I'm released from impending social awkwardness. Mia and I link arms as we walk down the halls receiving waves and greetings all the way to second period.

***
After school I text Brandon quickly to let him know that I won't be watching practice because I have detention. He leaves me on read.

I huff and walk down to the detention room, it's in the arts building. I know that Camille's photography class is on the way so I decide to say hi. As I approach I hear a conversation, I flatten myself against the wall:

"Camille?" Asher calls into the room.

"Yes? Oh it's you. What do you want?" Camille inquires.

"Um.. well Evie said you were really good with kids, and well I need some help with one."

"Yeah I love kids, but why can't you babysit this one on your own?"

"Well you see she's my sister, and I'm really busy all the time. It's kind of an odd job, and there are a lot of strings attached, but I could really use the help."

"Okay, go on..."

"Well I have to keep her a secret from my parents, and she's only 6 months old, and she cries a lot but I don't know why, she will not eat bananas and she loves elephants. I'm trying my best with her, but she needs a female figure in her life I honestly don't know what I'm doing anymore. No one can know she exists, I've only told the people I trust the most, and even that was because I was desperate for help. Will you please? I could pay you of course."

"Wow, um okay... that is... wow." Camille is flustered. "How much are we talking?"

"20 dollars an hour?" Asher offers.

"Oh hell yes, I could buy a new camera with that kind of money. Can I meet her before I decide?"

"Of course, but if you decide no then you still can't tell anyone okay?"

"Got it, what's her name?"

"Audrey Rose." I hear a shuffling that indicates he's probably showing her a picture.

"Wow, she's beautiful."

"I know."

This is when I leave, I shouldn't have eavesdropped in the first place, but they start to talk about personal things and I don't want to hear it.

I make my way to detention, and take my pills before opening the door. When I get do, Liam sits alone with his legs up on a table, no teacher in sight. I get a dreaded feeling in my tummy. He smirks.

"Welcome to detention, Princess."