Nineteen

After the first week of Evie being gone I was restless. 

I thought Mia was kidding when she said Evie wouldn't be coming back, but as the second week drew on she began walking into class glancing at Evie's empty seat and sighing before opening her book. 

I still hated Evie right? 

The kiss meant nothing.

Except that I hadn't hooked up with any of my usual girls since, not wanting to lose the phantom feel of her lips on mine. 

Except that I was fighting almost every night these days to get her out of my head, hoping that she was okay then imagining the worst and earning some cash for my destructive thoughts.

Except that Sam says I've started talking in my sleep, and I look exhausted.

Except that Asher will no longer even look at me when I bring her up.

Except I decided it would be a good fucking idea to ask Mia how she was doing, I'd just ask once I said. I just needed to know she was okay, anything to soothe the batshit craziness that came over me when I thought of never seeing her again. Only to be met with a glare and a:

"I don't know Liam, we aren't allowed to see her she's still in the hospital."

Except then I asked again the next day:

"Brandon says she's out of danger."

Then again the next day:

"Why do you even care, go fuck one of your whores!"

Then again:

"She's not coming back, just let her be."

Until finally I overheard her on the phone with one of their friends today:

"Really? She's being discharged?"

"Tomorrow?"

"Are you serious!?"

"Of course!"

"Say hi for me."

Evie was coming home. She was going to be okay. The biggest feeling of relief came over me as a weight was lifted I could go see her....

I won't though. 

The kiss meant nothing.

***

Brandon had made a cute sign for Mia. According to him since the Snow Ball was this weekend     ( or Snoco as people had been calling it) most of the asks had been last week. He was nervous.

Lauren assembled the cheerleaders in the hallway outside English and would wait with them until I gave the signal. First I was going in to surprise Mia that I was being allowed to continue to go to school. Then Camille would come in and get the whole proposal on video.

I walk into Mrs. Baker's classroom and a hush falls. 

Until Mia screams.

"Evie! I'm so beyond glad you're back."

"I'm happy to be back." I laugh. I take the moment we embrace to look at my table. 

Liam isn't there. I pretend like it doesn't bother me.

"I'm not your only surprise!" I say loudly and dramatically. Mrs. Baker looks at Mia fondly as Camille comes in with her camera, we'd asked her if it was okay to ask Mia today before hand.

The door bursts open and the Varsity cheer squad led by Lauren makes an open tunnel with their pom poms. Then the funny part:

Ollie runs out in his lacrosse jersey and a tutu. Boston runs out in the same.