Fifteen

Brandon lets me know that he'll drop my medicine off in first period. One thing off my plate. Asher pulls up to Somerset and let's us out. Camille and I give Audrey Rose one last goodbye and then head to the courtyard to meet our friends. 

Ollie is laying on the ground propped up by his duffel bag, Boston lays with his head on Ollie's stomach. I glance around but don't see anyone else. The boys play a game of tossing a lacrosse ball into the air and juggling it between the two of them. Camille chuckles and raises her camera to her face to take some shots of the wholesome moment. 

We watch for a bit until Mia joins us. She walks over and grabs the ball from the air laughing at them. 

"Hey Mia, was there cheer this morning?" Boston asks sitting up.

"Nope, why?" She sits and starts munching on a granola bar.

"Lauren said she had to be at school early today. Huh... I wonder what for if not cheer. I'm going to go look for her."

"Okay, tell her good morning for us when you see her." Camille yells after him.

The bell will ring in ten minutes so Camille and I walk Ollie to the locker room. He jokes and teases Camille for her antics. I say goodbye about halfway there and peel off to go to my locker before class. 

I'm just grabbing my binder and putting it in my bag when I hear shouts and the sound of rushed footsteps. I glance up curiously only to have my face morph into one of horror as Liam Davis comes sprinting around the corner, spots me, and heads in my direction.

"I know we aren't friends but if you do this for me I'll do anything," he pants out so quickly I barely catch it.

"Wha--"

"Kiss me," he's frantic now, the shouts are getting louder, closer.

He puts the hood up on his black sweatshirt and pushes me against my locker. 

Then his lips are on mine, and his hands are in my hair.

I barely notice when two muscled guys run right past us and down the all with shouts of "find him!" and "Sneaky bastard!"

Alarm bells ring in my head that this is wrong, and my heart starts to beat faster and faster. I feel faint like I might have an attack... but I don't care.

I don't push him away.

***

Rewind: Liam's Morning

I get to school early hoping to catch that Lauren girl. I'd asked her anonymously to meet me by the gym. As creepy as it sounds I really just want to talk and get some dirt on Evie. I see her walking with a searching look on her face and I push off the wall and approach her. 

"Hey," I greet.

"Liam Davis," She says in a slow condescending voice "you asked me here? Why?" 

"I need you to tell me what Evie's deal is. What she's not telling me." I explain.

"You want me to tell you what Evie's deal is?" Lauren laughs outright. "Did you honestly think I'd tell you? Everyone always comes to me for dirt, and why not? I know everything about everyone, but to come seeking information about my best friend? Ballsy."

I'm so surprised, I had not expected this. Sure out of the four of Evie's girlfriends, Lauren was a social butterfly, a cheerleader, and relatively well known for her knowledge of SHS, but she was also the most reserved and the one I'd seen hang out with Evie the least.

"Listen, I do know what it is you want to know. However, I'm not in the business of spilling secrets no matter how many I know, least of all my friend's. If you want to know why she is the way she is then I suggest you find a way to hear it from her." She turns to leave. "And I will be telling her about this little chat of ours."

I stand there blinking and in shock. I have to admire her for her loyalty and her willingness to stand up to me despite my reputation, but at the same time now I'm back at square one if not a step behind now that Evie will know I'm actively looking for answers. 

I sigh and sit on the ground. What am I doing? Fighting, sleeping around, wasting away? My mom would cry if she saw me. Chasing after some girl not because I liked her but because I wanted to ruin her life? It would break her heart. At least I''m helping with Audrey Rose, she's the most pure thing in my life at the moment. I smile. My mom would've loved Audrey Rose. 

"What a coincidence seeing you here Davis." A meaty voice booms from a little to my left. 

I bristle, I know that voice anywhere. I kicked his ass in the ring last week and Asher and I made bank from it. The fighter, Styxx, obviously wasn't happy about it though, and looking up I see his manager Ethan standing at his side and he is angry too.

"We won fair and square fuckers,  get outta here," I stand suddenly itching for a fight.

"Well I want a rematch, right here, right now." Styxx sneers. 

"Fuck you, if you want your pansy ass kicked again then step right up and be my guest." The rush of an impending fight comes over me.

"You asked for it, Your Majesty" He refers to me by my fighting name and I know shit's about to go down. 

"It's Rose King, and you know better. Show some respect down on your knees." I run at him and kick his knees in sending him to the ground. I crack his skull against my knee and step back to let him up. 

He spits blood and smiles grotesquely. He pulls a knife and runs at me. What the fuck? I can't win if he has a knife, and I could actually get expelled for fraternizing with him. So logically, I run.

I dash down hallway after hallway, slowly shaking them, but still hearing them behind me. I can't run forever, I need to hide at least until the bell rings and I can slip away. I run and run until I turn a corner and see Her. The idea comes to me in an instant. Why not hide in plain sight?

 "I know we aren't friends but if you do this for me I'll do anything," I pant out.

"Wha--"

"Kiss me," This will only work if we are kissing, no one likes to watch that shit, it'll shake them for sure. I'm frantic now, the shouts are getting louder, closer.

I can't wait any longer. I put my hood up to shield the back of my profile and grab Evie pushing her gently against her locker in the corner. 

And I kiss her.

I'm shocked at first, not only is the kiss amazing, but she's kissing me back. Evie Walker is kissing me back. I forget why I'm there for a moment until I hear Ethan and Styxx turn onto this hall. I put my hands in her hair and increase my fervor, pressing into her until the danger's passed. 

She responds to me so well,  I can feel her knees weakening and her falling into me.

"What the FUCK!?" Brandon Walker

I hold the kiss a little longer to really agitate him until I step away from her with a smirk. I look right into his eyes, and he looks right past me with shock and concern on his face. 

I hear Evie slump to the floor and hit her head on the locker and I whip around confused.

The fuck?