Fourteen

A/N: I'm so so SORRY!!! I haven't been updating at all, and to be completely honest this book was my 'summer fling' I never expected people to like it enough for me to keep writing, so this chapter goes to you guys.

Thank you especially to @emjay137 for your kind comments

***

In the light of day I realize that everything will be okay. So what if people don't like me? I never needed validation before and that won't stop now. I have friends that love me and so much more to appreciate. 

So why does the thought of going to school terrify me?

I lay in Brandon's room looking at his lacrosse trophies and posters. He's so normal it makes me jealous, and it breaks my heart that the only thing not normal about his life is me. The clock reads 5:19 and I know deep down that I will not be able to go to sleep. 

As quietly as I can I slip out of my brother's room and down the hall to my own. I shower quickly and decide to go for a walk since I have an hour until everyone else will wake up. I pull on some leggings and boots then throw on one of Brandon's old lacrosse sweatshirts, a scarf, and a vest. I try to be silent as I tip toe down the stairs, write my mom a note that I'm going to walk to Starbucks and back, then grab my purse and take my leave. 

The Autumn air is crisp and I regret not bringing a hat immediately. I found a pair of gloves in my vest pockets and braved the morning anyways.  The world is so quiet and Winter nips in every breath I take as if to remind me that it will make its return soon. Lots is going on in my head and I need to sort it out. 

There was Brandon and his quick assumptions that I was doing bad things, Asher and Audrey Rose and everything that came with them including some possibly illegal activities. There was school and homework, and the Snow Ball that loomed over everyone at Somerset High, impending doctor's visits and trials I had to finish up not to mention the giant secret that weighed me down as I gained new friends that had no knowledge of my condition. Yet through it all, Liam consumed my thoughts. 

The way he called me Princess, the way he always got A's on everything not only in English (where he spaced out most of the time, opting to look out the window or at me instead of the lesson) but in Government as well (where him and Sam preferred flirting with the girls in the back of class and bothering me whenever a chance arose over completing practice tests and vocab sheets), and perhaps most pressingly his newfound devotion to finding out what I was hiding which surprise, surprise, I didn't really want getting out. 

All the thinking I did (which gave me no reassurance) brought me to main street, where I wasted no time getting to Starbucks and ordering a turtle mocha and a cake pop. I ate my cake pop fantasizing about a certain boy's lips, so I was startled when Camille came up to me.

"Evie! You have no idea what a monster that Asher Klein is! He has me coming in before and after school to watch that precious baby sister of his, and I'm exhausted." She rants to me. 

"He's terrible," I gasp sarcastically. "What are you doing here then?" 

"I was doing a baby run, my car is full of things for that cute girl. Poor thing was teething and those knuckleheads had no idea, she's practically being raised by wolves."

Camille's voice softens talking about Audrey Rose, and I know that I was correct in appointing her to the task, or at least sending Asher her way.

"Think of all the adorable pictures to add to your portfolio though," I tell her.

"I hadn't even though of that! Of course! She's so cute, I'll get into NYU for sure with her in my portfolio." She's excited and back to her charming self. "Want to come back to Asher's with me? I'm sure he wouldn't mind."

"Umm... okay," I decide that I'll just pop in to say hello. 

My drink is called and a bit later so is hers. We grab them and head to her Subaru, she doesn't miss a beat sliding into the driver's seat and clicking shots of me climbing in beside her with the Nikon around her neck. She wears cameras like necklaces, and of all the kids in the media program at SHS only she can pull it off.

The trip to Asher's is a short one, Camille parks next to his Porsche and begs me to help grab the bags from the back. I comply on the condition that she takes my coffee. With the two of us weighed down we make our way to the elevator giving today's Asian Desk Lady a brief greeting.

Camille marches down the beige hallway at the top and muscles her way into the apartment, Audrey Rose's joyful squeals can be heard from the entryway and upon closer inspection Asher is playing peek-a-boo with her while she finishes her bottle. 

"Good morning, beautiful," Camille greets. Asher practically falls out of his chair. 

"Camille... oh and Evie! Good morning," He returns. We put the bags on the counter and go sit with them.

"I was talking to Audrey Rose," She laughs. 

"Of course," He says red faced.

The two of them coo over the baby and I can't help but notice how easily the two of them operate together, Camille taking Audrey Rose out of the high-chair to burp her and Asher wiping it down expertly. The way he stands behind Camille making faces at Audrey Rose while Camille pats her back. 

Once Audrey Rose has been burped, Camille puts her on the ground with some alphabet blocks remarking on the importance of tummy time if the boys expect the baby to walk anytime in the future. 

"I have some presents for you Audrey Rose!" She says animatedly. 

Audrey Rose lifts her head and makes some baby sounds as Asher brings over the shopping bags. Camille sits her in her lap and motions for Asher to unbag the items slowly so baby can see. I sit at the table sipping my coffee admiring them.

"You did not need to get her this," Asher groans when he pulls out a jingle bell headband and matching reindeer pajamas.

Audrey Rose loved the bells.

"It's cute, next!" 

"Look there Audrey Rose, now your teeth will feel all better!" Camille says for pink teething rings and baby food pouches Asher produced next.

To her credit Asher appreciated the gifts even though Audrey Rose was too busy playing with Camille's camera strap to really care.

By the time the were all done, Asher said he would drive us too school saying how he didn't want to damage the ecosystem by having Camille drive separate when he was going by there anyways and loaded everyone up. Audrey Rose had a doctor's appointment today so he would be gone until lunch.

Just when I thought I was done being a semi-third wheel in the strange interaction between my two friends, they held Audrey Rose's carrier in between them fussing over whether she'd be warm enough the whole way to his car. Seemingly over night the two of them had grown rather close.

I sat in the back with the baby and Camille took shotgun joking the whole way to school and getting lots of goofy photos of Asher. I was silent for the ride thinking many things:

How did I not notice the baby seat in Asher's backseat the first time I rode in his car?

I need to text Brandon and Mom that Asher was taking me to school and I needed him to bring my medicine. 

How was I going to face Liam today?