CH 21: It's Hard to Say I Do When I Don't

I was starting to panic and Barry must have sensed it, too, because he pulled me closer to him. An action that did not escape his grandfather's attention.

"You seem afraid," the elderly man stated, his brows furrowed.

"Lolo, she's not," Barry answered for me.

"Let her talk, Ibarra," the old man ordered. "A woman does not need a man to speak for her."

I gently pushed away from Barry.

"You do not want to get married?" his grandfather asked before clucking his tongue. "Young people nowadays, you want a child but you don't want to give it a family—"

"If you'll excuse me po..." I heard myself say. I was so nervous and I could feel cold sweat run down my back. "I'm so sorry po but I feel queasy...where's the bathroom?"

"Halika, Claire..." Barry's mother was instantly beside me. "Sasamahan na kit—"

"Ako na, Mom," Barry said before steering me out of the crowd and into a long, well-lit hallway.

He opened one of the doors. "Here..."

"Shit, we need to talk," I said pulling him inside with me.

"Are you okay, you look pale—"

"Barry! Ano ba! They think I'm pregnant! Your grandfather thinks that you should marry me!"

"My grandfather has the uncanny ability to shock people—"

"Barry, are you even listening? Do you have any idea how dire this situation is? Hindi ako buntis! Hindi mo ako kailangang pakasalan! Paano napunta sa kasalan itong party na ito, akala ko ba birthday mo lang kaya tayo nandito?"

"Claire—"

"Let's tell them the truth, please. Ayoko na. Tingnan mo naman kung saan na tayo dinala nitong pagsisinungaling natin..."

"Hey..." Barry pulled me into his arms.

I pushed him away.

"Calm down...it's just a wedding, Claire, not a death sentence," he said.

"Your family is expecting me to give birth to your son in a few months. Saan manggagaling ang anak mong iluluwal ko—"

"Lalaki pala itong baby natin?"

"Barry!" I exclaimed. "Pwedeng magseryoso ka naman muna? Pwede? Your family is already talking about our wedding before I give birth. Naiintindihan mo ba 'yun?"

He sighed. "Ayoko nang dagdagan 'yang iniisip mo kasi alam kong lalo kang mag-aalala. Nag-pa-panic ka na nga, eh. Kaya naman pinapatawa kita. Don't worry, I'll talk to my grandfather."

"Do it. Do it today, please. I shouldn't have come to this party. Siguro kung pumirmi lang ako sa bahay at natulog ay hindi mangyayari ito—"

"Relax..."

He hugged me to his chest. "Relax..." he whispered against my hair. "Ako na ang bahala. You don't need to do anything..."

I sagged against him. Oo nga naman, bakit ba ako namomoblema? He can always explain everything to his grandfather. He can always tell his family the truth...

"Okay," I said.

He smiled down at me before tapping the tip of my nose with his finger. "You worry too much. Stop worrying and start relying on me..."

"That sounds so wrong. Why would I rely on you? We're not even related."

"Ouch..."

He dramatically grabbed at his chest. "Ang sakit dito..."