CH 22: Hot To The Touch, Cold On The Inside

I have long since given up trying to understand people. I was sixteen when it finally dawned on me that we all have demons that we continuously and secretly try to triumph over; demons that only we can see.

Maybe that was one of the reasons why I never bothered paying attention to other people's choices unless it directly involved me.

"Say yes, say yes, say yes!" our audience chanted.

Fuck, Barry, you are such an idiot...

"Claire, say yes!" a woman who was carrying a toddler in her arms hollered cheerfully. "Ayaw naming tumandang binata si Barry, take him! Please!"

The other Berenguers burst out laughing.

But I was in a dilemma. I could easily say yes knowing that Barry's proposal was just for show but something was telling me to run and take cover.

Bakit, Barry? Why make this very public? This is just going to make your family angrier when they find out the truth.

But, Barry's no fool. That I knew. That I was certain. He had a plan and a solid reason that I wasn't privy to. Maybe there's a demon bigger than his break-up with Leah that he was fighting; maybe there was a bigger reason that he did not allow me to see. Because what man in his right mind would take the gamble Barry took tonight if he had no greater motivation?

"Claire...?" I could hear the anxiety in Barry's voice and for a second I thought about ending the farce once and for all by turning him down.

But then again what would be the point? I would just end up ruining his birthday, upsetting his family, causing a rift that would probably take them months or years to patch.

Anong makukuha ko sa gan'un? I thought watching a bead of sweat trickle down the side of Barry's forehead. Okay, let's have it your way...

"Yes," I said. "Yes, Barry, I'll marry you..."

The cheer was deafening as Barry slid the ring into my finger. He pushed to his feet before he enfolded me in his embrace.

"Thank you..." he whispered into my ear. "Thank you for saying yes, Claire..."

"You have a habit of making your life complicated..." I whispered back.

"I'll always take the risk for you..." he said cupping my face with cold hands.

"Kiss!" his relatives yelled. "It's only official when you kiss!"

He arched a questioning brow at me.

I nearly rolled my eyes at him but nodded instead.

He lowered his head settling his lips over mine.

The crowd roared.

He lifted his face a fraction off mine and I felt his thumb on my lips.

"Did my lipstick smear?"

"No," he said before he planted his lips on mine again.

"Go, Barry!" his relatives enthusiastically shouted.

Ibarra! I was screaming at him in my head. Ano na? Masyado kang natuwa d'yan!

"Congratulations!" I heard Barry's mother say. I did not even notice that his family had come up the stage.

"Salamat po," I said as she kissed me on the cheek before giving me a tight hug. "Salamat, Claire, at napatino mo 'yung anak ko," she added.

"Mommy naman, h'wag n'yo naman pong tinatakot itong mapapangasawa ko," Barry protested.