Chapter 18 - Ruined worlds

Mila's POV

I breathed deeply and walked into the living room. I felt so nervous. I was going to tell my parents that I was going to get married to Lucas.

"Mila, how are you?" My father asked, giving me a warm smile as he placed his book down on the couch.

"Fine, Dad." I forced a smile."I need to tell you something." I informed, traveling my gaze from my father to my mother.

"Is everything okay?" My mother asked, worried.

"Umm...yeah." I mumbled. I took a deep breath and confessed. "I am going to marry Lucas."

Their eyes got wide. They looked at me in surprise, their mouth agape.

"...What?" My mother muttered, trying to pull herself together.

"Lucas proposed to me. And I said yes. We are going to get married next month." I informed.

"Next month?!" My mother asked, perplexed. "Mila, don't make hasty decisions. You broke up with Tristan a few days ago. But now you decided to get married to someone else." My mother commented in disapproval.

"Mom, I am sure about it. I thought about it before accepting his proposal." I stated.

"Mila..."

"Paola." My father cut my mother off. "We know Lucas. He is a good guy. If Mila is sure about her decision, then I will give my blessings." My father commented firmly.

"I am sure, Dad." I said.

"Invite him for dinner tomorrow." My father said. I nodded. My mother frowned, shaking her head in disbelief.

****

Lucas and I were getting married next week. We decided to have a private wedding with our families, close relatives and friends. I didn't want a big wedding. The preparation was almost ready. Our mothers helped us with it. Actually, I wasn't in the mood for the preparation. So I let them decide most of the details. I just asked them to choose simple things.

As the time was passing, I got more nervous.

Today I was going to try on my wedding gown. My mother was accompanying me.

I was looking at myself in the mirror. The gown looked beautiful; simple and elegant. It was the first model which I tried on when we had come here.

I have been dreaming of my wedding since my childhood. I had a few wedding gown models on my mind. But now I chose some random model without paying attention to details. Because it wasn't important anymore. If the groom was someone who I wasn't in love, which gown I would wear didn't matter.

I pursed my lips together as my eyes welled up. I was still staring at myself in the mirror sadly.

"You look so beautiful." The designer commented, giving me a smile.

"Thank you." I forced a smile.

When I looked at my mother, she gave me a concerned look. I averted my gaze, trying to hold myself from crying.

"The groom is so lucky." The designer added.

"I....I need to go to the restroom." I mumbled and rushed into the restroom without letting them say anything as tears ran down my cheeks.

I closed the door behind me and leaned against the wall, wrapping my arms around myself while crying.

"You can love him. Look how your mother and father are happy. Lucas is a good person. Everything will be fine." I tried to reassure myself.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. I placed my hand on my stomach and stroked it gently.

"Give Mommy strength." I murmured, crying while stroking my belly gently.

Suddenly, the door opened. My mother walked in and closed the door behind her.

"Mila." She gave me a sad look as she approached me.

"I am okay." I mumbled, wiping my tears off my cheeks.

She gave me a concerned look and hugged me. I hugged her back, still crying.

"Don't marry him." My mother said, stroking my back smoothly.

"No, I am okay." I murmured as I pulled back and wiped my stubborn tears off my cheeks.

"But..."

"Mom, really. I was just overwhelmed." I stated without looking into her eyes.

Tristan's POV

I was staring through the large window in my office. It was raining. The sky was gray. It made me gloomier.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door. I breathed deeply and turned around, placing my hands into my pockets.

"Come in." I said.

The door opened and Cody walked in.

"Hey." He greeted me and closed the door behind him.

"Hi." I mumbled. "What happened?" I asked, giving him a questioning look as I noticed he looked strange.

"Umm...I have to tell you something important." He replied with a serious expression as he walked towards me.

"What?" I asked, intrigued.

"Umm...Mila..." He mumbled.

As I heard her name, my body tensed. My heart skipped a beat.

"What happened? Is she okay?" I asked, worried.

"Yes, she is. Don't worry." He paused before adding."But I heard something important about her."

I gave him a questioning look. From Cody's expression, I guessed it was something I wouldn't like.

He breathed deeply, rubbing the back of his neck nervously. "She is going to get married this Saturday." He informed, giving me a compassionate look.

I narrowed my eyes in shock. I looked at Cody, stunned. My heart sank.

Did I hear right?

"...What?" I mumbled. My voice was barely audible. "Are you sure?" I asked, trying to control my voice.

"Yes, she is going to get married to Lucas....Warner." He informed.

Lucas! That ginger bastard!

My whole world collapsed. I couldn't feel fine anymore. It felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. I grabbed the headrest of my seat as my head slightly spun.

"Tristan, are you okay?" Cody asked, worried as he rushed towards me.

I raised my hand, gesturing to him to stop. "I...I need to get some fresh air." I muttered and stormed out without waiting for him to say anything.

I took a deep breath as I walked out of the building. I walked away a little and placed my hand on the wall for support. I loosened my tie, breathing deeply. My head was spinning. I couldn't breathe properly. I unbuttoned the first two buttons of my shirt, trying to control my breaths.