Chapter 27 - A chance

Mila's POV

"Hmm. Oh my...Is she pregnant?" The woman asked, surprised.

It felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. I felt dizzy.

"No, but I hope they will get married as soon as possible and make me a grandmother." She said cheerfully. "Tristan really adores her." She added.

Tristan really adores her. This sentence repeated in my mind. My heart tightened. I couldn't stay here anymore.

I placed my glass down on the table. When I turned around to go towards my mother, Claudia gave me a self-satisfied look. I averted my gaze and walked away in quick steps.

"Dear, are you okay?" My mother asked, worried as she saw me.

"Umm...Yes. I have just a headache. I am going home." I informed.

"Do you want me to come with you?" She asked, concerned.

"No. Don't worry." I reassured her."See you." I forced a smile.

Tristan's POV

After the meeting, I went home. My head was pounding. As soon as I arrived, I took a painkiller. Then I went to the study room.

Suddenly, someone knocked on the door.

"Come in."

The door opened and my mother walked in.

"Tristan, are you okay? Why are you home early?" She asked, concerned as she walked towards me.

"I have a headache. So I decided to work at home." I informed. She nodded and sat down on a vacant seat beside the desk.

"It is good that you are home early. I invited Daphne for dinner this evening." She informed.

I frowned, annoyed. It got on my nerves as my mother tried to play a matchmaker.

"Mom, I told you I don't feel anything towards her. I went to have dinner with her for you. Because you insisted on it and lied to her telling Daphne that I invited her for dinner. But there will not be anything between Daphne and me." I stated sternly.

"Tristan, when will you forget that damn girl?" She asked in frustration.

I gritted my teeth. "Mom, you know that there will be nothing between....Mila and me." I reminded, annoyed, trying to hide sadness in my voice.

She sighed. "You should move on. And Daphne is the best way for it. She is a good girl and suits our family." She commented.

"Mom! It isn't up for discussion." I snapped."I don't want her." I added firmly and left without waiting for her to say anything.

For heaven's sake, leave me alone.

I stormed out and got in my car. I started the car and drove away, leaving dust behind me.

Mila's POV

I put on a navy blue midi dress and put on light makeup. I did my hair wavy. I checked myself in the mirror one more time and left as I grabbed my clutch.

Today I was having dinner with Lucas.

He was so thoughtful, caring and kind towards Joshua and me. And as he promised, he never forced me for anything, waiting patiently. I still stayed in my room while he stayed in another room.

When I walked into the living room, Lucas gave me a wide smile without taking his eyes off me for a second.

"You look stunning." He commented huskily as he approached me and gave me a bouquet of red roses.

"Thank you." I said, giving him a slight smile and took the bouquet.

"Let's go." He placed his hand on my lower back as he led us towards the elevator.

After Joshua had fallen asleep, I put him in his crib and pulled a blanket over his body. I stroked his hair gently, smiling. Then I went to my room.

Finally, I made up my mind. I decided that I would give my marriage a chance. I had been thinking about it since that day when I saw Tristan with that girl at the restaurant. I should move on as he did. I should forget Tristan, vanish him from my system. Moreover, I thought I owned Lucas for his attitude towards me. He was always so good towards me. He supported and helped me in my hard times. So I had to do something for my marriage as well.

After taking a shower, I wrapped a towel around my body and walked out of the shower. I dried my body and my hair. I put on a white bathrobe and went to my room. I took off my robe and put a black nightie.

I sat down on the vanity bench in front of the vanity table and looked at myself in the mirror. I brushed my hair while looking at myself in the mirror.

You can do it, Mila.

I placed my brush down on the vanity table and applied some fragrance.

My heart was pounding like crazy. I felt so nervous. My hands were cold and sweaty. I breathed deeply, closing my eyes.

I stood up and looked at myself in the mirror one more time. I breathed deeply and walked towards the door in slow steps. I grabbed the knob with my trembling hand When I was about to open the door, I stopped. I walked towards my bed and put on a black mini silk robe.

I breathed deeply and knocked on the door.

"Come in."

I opened the door and walked in. I closed the door behind me and entwined my hands nervously while standing in front of the door. Lucas was unbuttoning his shirt.

When he looked at me, he was surprised. He instantly stopped unbuttoning his shirt, frozen.

I approached him in slow steps. He turned around and faced me without taking his eyes off me for a second.

"I...I want to try." I mumbled.

He raised his eyebrow in surprise. He opened and closed his mouth without managing to say anything. But I noticed that his eyes lit up.

He cleared his throat as he asked huskily. "Umm...are you sure? You know you don't need to force yourself. I will wait as much as you want." He stated with a serious expression, looking into my eyes.

"I am sure....I want to give our marriage a chance." I said and bit my lower lip nervously.

He gave me a wide smile and nodded.

"I am so happy to hear it." He admitted, looking at me with shining eyes.

He took a step towards me, closing the distance between us. My heart was pounding in my chest. He stroked my hair and tucked a lock of my hair behind my ear. He leaned over me and placed a soft kiss on my neck.

I clenched my fist as I closed my eyes shut while breathing rapidly. I felt nauseated. I was trying to hold my tears back.