Chapter 31 - The explanation

Tristan's POV

As soon as I got rid of my thoughts, I pulled back, pushing him back.

"What the hell is going on? And what is he doing here?" I asked my mother, gesturing to Daniel Parker while looking at my mother.

"Calm down, Tristan." She sighed. "We need to talk to you." She added and looked at Daniel Parker.

"I don't have anything to talk to him about." I stated bitterly.

"Tristan, please." Daniel intervened, looking at me affectionately.

I rolled my eyes and breathed deeply. "I am leaving." I stated and turned around to leave.

"Son..." Daniel said softly.

I stopped, frozen without turning back.

Son...Did I hear it right?

I gritted my teeth in frustration and clenched my fist. I turned around and gave him a death glare.

"Son?!" I asked mockingly. "What the hell are you talking about? I am not your son! And you are nothing to me!" I snapped angrily.

"Tristan, calm down." My mother demanded as she approached me and placed her hand on my arm. "You should listen to him." She added, giving me a begging look.

"I don't want to hear anything from him." I said firmly.

"Please, Tristan. Let me explain." Daniel pleaded.

I frowned, annoyed and turned around to leave. My mother grabbed my arm, stopping me.

"Tristan, I know you are angry at him, but you should listen to him. Before he had explained everything, I didn't want to listen to him too. But after listening to him..." She sighed as she paused. "Please, let him explain." My mother added, giving me a begging look.

I took a deep breath, closing my eyes. "Fine, you have only fifteen minutes." I said and sat up on the seat without looking at Daniel.

My mother and Daniel sat down. Daniel entwined his hands nervously.

"Well, I am listening." I mumbled dryly, looking at Daniel.

He took a deep breath and said. "I didn't leave Claudia. I loved her." He paused, giving my mother a sad look. He shook his head and continued. "I was in jail." He confessed.

I looked at him with wide eyes. I hadn't waited for this kind of confession.

"I was accused falsely. They imputed to me that I stole money from the shop I worked at. My wife's father was my lawyer. He helped me and got me out of jail. As soon as I got out of there, I went to see your mother." He sighed, looking away. "But when I...went to see her, she has....already got married and had a son. You." He gave me a gloomy smile.

I bit my lower lip, looking down. I didn't know what to think anymore. I was wrong about him; he didn't leave my mother and....me.

"She looked so happy with...that man. I felt betrayed. I thought she was never in love with me. All those moments that we had shared together were a big lie." He sighed with a doleful expression. "A few months later, I heard that Claudia had gone abroad with her family. After that day I haven't heard anything from Claudia. I haven't seen her photos in magazines as well." He added and looked at my mother.

"You know. I don't like attending these kinds of events." My mother commented gloomily.

"Yes, I know." He replied, giving her a slight smile.

"But who planned it?" I asked, perplexed.

He sighed and replied. "Your grandpa, Louis Carson."

"What?!" I snapped in shock as I looked at him, stunned.

"He never liked me nor approved our relationship, because I was not wealthy and didn't suit his family. So he planned it to get rid of me."

I shook my head in disbelief. I couldn't believe what I heard. It was....too much.

"Then I started working as Paola's father's driver and met my wife. A month later, we got married. And I changed my surname. In the beginning of our marriage, it was a marriage of convenience. I got married to her for helping Claudia and paying my debt to her father. Her father helped me in my bad times." He ran his hand through his hair as he paused. "So I decided to thank him that way. Her boyfriend left her as soon as he learnt she was pregnant with their child. After it, she went into depression. And....tried to commit suicide." He confessed. "But after getting to know each other better, we fell in love with each other." He added, giving a slight smile.

What?

"Hold on...Mila isn't your daughter?" I mumbled, stunned.

"No, she isn't. But I love her as my own daughter." He replied.

"Holy shit!" I cursed, running my hand through my hair.

Fuck! Fuck! Fuck!

I held my head between my hands, looking down as I closed my eyes. I gripped my hair tightly in frustration.

"You...of course...you broke up with Mila because you thought she was your sister." He said with wide eyes.

"Yes." I mumbled and sighed, depressed, looking away.

"I...don't know what to say...I..." He shook his head without finishing his sentence. "I am sorry." He added.

"It isn't important anymore." I murmured without looking at them, still holding my head between my hands.

I lost the love of my life. My woman. She is now someone else's wife. And the mother of his child.

I took a deep breath as I leaned back. It felt like I couldn't breathe anymore. My heart tightened.

"I...I have to go." I mumbled as I stood up abruptly.

My mother and Daniel looked at me, puzzled.

"Tristan." My mother said, concerned.

I shook my head without saying anything and rushed out, ignoring my mother who was calling me behind me.

My mind was fuzzy. I placed my hand on my chest, trying to control my breaths.

I walked towards my car in slow steps. I felt bad. I leaned my hand on my car as I breathed slowly. I was standing barely. I opened the door and got in my car as I could stand anymore. It felt like I was going to collapse any minute. I leaned my head against the headrest, closing my eyes as I tried to control my breaths.