Chapter 29 - The truth

Mila's POV

After breastfeeding Joshua, I was rocking him gently while pacing back and forth in the bedroom. He gripped my shirt, his eyes half-closed. He yawned, rubbing his eye. He looked so cute. I smiled and placed a soft kiss on his forehead.

As he fell asleep, I placed him on the bed and pulled a blanket over his body. I stroked his soft brown hair gently while watching my sleeping boy. Then I put the pillows beside him and tiptoed out of the room as I turned off the lights.

My father was drinking some brandy while sitting on the couch, staring into space in the living room.

"Dad, are you okay?" I asked as I approached him.

"Umm...yeah." He replied, giving me a slight smile.

I nodded and sat down in the armchair. I felt tired. I leaned my head back against the headrest, closing my eyes.

"Umm...Mila." My father mumbled.

"Yes?" I opened my eyes and looked at him.

"Today, I bumped into Tristan." He informed.

As I heard Tristan's name, my heartbeats increased. I looked at my father, intrigued.

"I heard him calling his father by his name. Why does he call him by his name?" He asked, perplexed.

"Oh, yes. He sometimes calls him by his name, sometimes Dad." I replied. He raised his eyebrow, giving me a questioning look."Greg isn't his real father. His mother got married to Greg when Tristan was one year old." I added.

My father narrowed his eyes in astonishment. He rubbed his forehead, preoccupied.

****

After getting ready, I grabbed my bag and left the mansion. I went to talk to Lucas about our marriage. He was in the penthouse.

The last few days I had been thinking about my marriage. I couldn't continue it anymore. As much as I tried to forget Tristan, I still loved him. He got under my skin. I couldn't get him out of my heart, my mind. His name engraved in my heart forever. No one could change it.

As soon as I arrived, I asked the housekeeper where Lucas was. She told me he was in the study room.

I breathed deeply and knocked on the door. I opened the door and walked in.

"Hi." I mumbled nervously and closed the door behind me.

"Hey." He muttered without taking his eyes off his paperwork.

I sighed and walked towards him. I placed my bag on the centre table and sat down on a vacant seat beside the desk.

"I need to talk to you." I informed.

He stopped what he was doing and entwined his hands on the desk as he focused his attention on me.

I took a deep breath, trying to calm down. I felt nervous.

"I...I can't continue this marriage anymore." I admitted.

His jaw clenched as he looked at me, frustrated. His muscles tensed up. I noticed he was holding himself hard.

"...And what will you tell your parents?" He asked, trying to control his voice.

"I will tell my father the truth. Mom has already guessed. So I had to admit it." I confessed.

"If there is no problem with your parents, then the problem is solved. So you don't need me anymore." He commented mockingly and gave me a sad smile.

"Lucas..." I gave him a sad look.

He raised his hand in the air, stopping me. "Ok, let's be like you want...And you can run into his arms. Considering the fact that the bastard appeared again." He said through his gritted teeth.

"It isn't about Tristan, and I don't..."

"Don't say that bastard's name in front of me." He demanded. He sighed and continued. "Whatever! I amn't interested in it, but from now on you don't have a shoulder to cry on after he will use you and throw you away again." He added bitterly as he stood up and stormed out, slamming the door behind him. I jolted in my place.

I sighed and grabbed my bag. I went to my bedroom and packed my suitcases. Then I went to Joshua's room and put his stuff into the suitcases.

When I arrived, my parents were in the living room. When they saw my suitcases, they looked at me, confused.

"What is going on?" My father asked, pointing to my suitcases.

"I...Lucas....We decided to get divorced." I informed.

"What?!" My father snapped as he stood up. "It is because of Tristan, isn't it?! Don't let that bastard ruin your life again." He added, frustrated.

"Dad, I can not continue this marriage anymore. I don't love Lucas. And it will be the best for both of us. Lucas is worth finding a woman who will love him as he loves her." I confirmed.

"But you have a child together. You should think about him as well." My father commented.

I looked at my mother, biting my lower lip nervously. "Dad...Joshua is..."

He raised his hand in the air, stopping me."I don't want to hear anything. I don't give permission. You should move on from Tristan. He doesn't even care about you. While you want to ruin your marriage because of that bastard, he spends his nights with different women." He snarled and stormed out.

I was stroking Joshua's hair gently while watching him, lost in my thoughts.

"Mila, are you okay?" My mother asked as she sat down on the couch, giving me a concerned look.

I sighed and entwined my hands on my lap.

"No, Mom. I am not. I am tired of everything." I admitted. Tears shimmered in my eyes. "My life is a mess. I am married to the man who I don't love. My son's father doesn't even know that he has a child." I stated, sobbing.

"Mila..." My mother gave me a sad look.

"Is it true?"

I turned around instantly as I heard my father's voice coming behind me and stood up.

"Dad..." I mumbled.

"Is it true? Is Joshua's father Tristan?" He asked, looking into my eyes.