Startled Much?

Artemis p.o.v:

I had sent Zoë to get Perseus, the food was done and the girls were waiting for their arrival.

Zoë took her time, but eventually two shadowy figures became visible through the tree line. Perseus walked in front of the hunter, his shoulders tense and his face set in a determined expression. Zoë followed him close behind, her shoulders were slumped forward and her hands were tucked in the pockets of her sweatpants.

"What took you so long?" I asked Perseus.

"Hermes visited him. He should tell the story during the campfire." Zoë answered for him.

He looked at her sideways and shrugged, "Sure, the girls might learn something." Perseus nodded.

"Let's eat, shall we?" Zoë's voice pierced the silence.

"Alright! Take a seat Perseus." I pointed to the rectangular table where all the hunters were seated.

I took my seat at the head of the table and watched Perseus hesitate to choose a seat. There was an empty seat to Zoë's right. Who, in turn, was sitting diagonally right to me.

He saw the spot and sat down, I averted my attention to the rest of the group. A few minutes later almost everyone was finished with eating the soup that Thalia had prepared.

I felt Zoë nudge my right shin softly, I looked at her and she moved her head so that I looked straight at Perseus. He was still looking at the bowl of soup in front of him. He looked scared and confused. After a few moments everyone had quieted down, and most hunters were looking at him.

But he remained unmoving, almost as if he was frozen in time. His fingers gripped the spoon tightly, his hand had turned white from the pressure he applied.

His eyes seemed to follow something in the bowl of soup, but there was no movement in said bowl.

"Perseus? Perseus!?" I tried to get his attention. However, he didn't notice.

"Perseus!" Zoë said a bit louder, still he stayed silent. Everybody was getting worried now. Zoë put her hand on his upper left arm.

"Perse-" He moved with blinding speed and grabbed Zoë's wrist.

He looked at her and released her hand, "I'm sorry, I was -uhh- lost in thoughts."

"Are you not going to eat your soup?" Thalia asked.

Perseus grabbed a spoon and brought it closer to his mouth, his hand was visibly shaking. The spoon touched his lips and he dropped the spoon. Perseus stood up and pushed his chair back.

He turned to the forest and took off, with a speed that could rival even Hermes. He left only a gust of wind and some dust.

"The soup wasn't that bad? Was it?" A confused Thalia said.

Nobody knew what to say. Thalia looked at me, I looked at Zoë, and Zoë looked at Thalia.

"So..... who's going to figure out what just happened?" I asked smoothly.

Zoë sighed loudly, she out her hands on the table and stood up. Thalia sighed in relief, not so long ago Perseus had treathened to put an arrow between her eyes.

"I guess I'll see if he is in his tent." She put her hands in the pockets that her comfy sweatpants provided and walked away.

---------5 minutes later----------

Most hunters had left for their tents, only a few hunter were left, including Thalia, Zoë and Atalanta.

"He's not in his tent." Zoë declared.