➰Chapter One➰

Chapter One

The morning started like any other. As a matter of fact, it was so average, I would have never guessed anything that was about to come my way. I spent most of it reading, as I usually did on any given morning. Of course, after about twenty minutes, my mother stormed into my room with a hurry that almost terrified me.

"LEAH THERESA ROLLINS! Why aren't you ready yet like I specifically asked you to be?" My mom yelled, pulling my bedsheets off me in a single movement. "We're going to be late!"

"Late for what?" I said, rolling my eyes. I reluctantly dragged myself out of bed.

"Jocelyn invited the both of us for lunch. And I want you to finally meet her daughter, Clary."

I pretended to be surprised. "Oh my Gosh! I am so honored!"

She rolled her eyes at me and handed me a little black dress I've had since like forever. "Put this on and meet me outside in ten minutes."

➰➰➰

Once we were finally in the metro, I noticed Mom was holding a large birthday-themed bag, making me frown in confusion. "What is that about?"

Mom shrugged. "Did I forget to mention it's Clary's birthday? You should congratulate her."

I took the bag from her and gasped when I saw the top she bought for her. "Are you trying to make her happy or get fired? There's no way Jocelyn would ever let her daughter wear this."

"How would you know?"

"Because you wouldn't let me wear it."

We finally reached the stop that left us only a couple of blocks away from the store. These were the kind of days when I wished we could afford a car, but of course, we couldn't. Being raised by a single parent is always hard. Especially if your mom looks almost exactly your age and has this weird ambition of becoming a psychic.

We finally arrived at the antique store she worked at and after my mom opened the place up, she gestured for me to help her organize some stuff she had on the cashier. I nodded and started separating the twenty-dollar bills from the fives and tens.

I heard a ring from the bell on the entrance door and my head immediately snapped up. A bundle of red hair and green eyes altogether smiled at my mom, and I guessed she must be the famous Clary.

"Hey, Dot!"

"Hey!" My mom said excitedly.

"How's your future looking?" Clary asks, referencing the fact that my mother has this weird thing for tarot cards. They obviously never work, but she doesn't listen to me when I tell her.

"Not as good as yours," Mom says with a smirk. "The tarot cards tell me you got into the advanced program."

"And by 'the tarot cards' you mean 'Simon's Twitter account'?"

"Who the Hell is 'Simon'?" I asked with a frown.
Mom completely ignored me and chuckled.

"Okay, I follow him. Turns out, predicting the future with tarot cards is very complicated. But I do see a birthday present in your future."

She handed Clary the bag she'd been carrying all the way here. "Dot!"

Mom laughs. "Okay, open it!"