➰Chapter Four➰

Chapter four

"My mom was the only person who knew that, and now she's missing!" Clary said desperately. "There's got to be a reason why they've taken her."

"There is," Jace started walking and gestured for us to follow him, but stopped Simon almost immediately. "Not you."

"We're a package deal," Clary said.

Alec rolled his eyes. "There are runes all over the training room floor that could kill your friend faster than you can blink twice. So, if you want him to turn into ashes, then by all means, let the Mundane come."

"I'm tough. I can handle Runes. So, bring on the Runes!" Simon said with fake confidence. "What are Runes?"

"They give Shadowhunters our demon-fighting powers," Isabelle said, sliding her stele over her forearm.

Simon practically drooled when he saw her. "So hot—" Alec glared at him and he cleared his throat nervously. "The Runes, I mean."

Isabelle smiled. "Don't worry Clary, I'll watch over the best friend. In fact, I was about to make breakfast."

"The Runes might be less dangerous," Alec teased her, making Clary smile.

"I'll pretend I didn't hear that. Please excuse my brother's lack of manners," she pointed to Alec. "This is Alec, and I'm Isabelle."

Simon took her hand in awe and shook it. "Lewis. Simon Lewis. Two first names. Am I still talking?"

Isabelle giggled, probably touched by how nervous he made him. Clary, on the other hand, seemed rather annoyed that his attention was no longer solely on her. I cleared my throat. "See? Simon will be fine. Now let's go."

"If anything happens to him—"

"You'll what, Clary?" I spat annoyed by her once again.

"I'll be fine. Go on," Simon smiled at Isabelle.

➰➰➰

When we entered the Training Room, as Jace called it, the first thing I saw was a blond man with a beard and a staff, probably practicing some sort of combat move.

"Who is he?" I asked Jace.

"That's Hodge Starkweather. Our weapons trainer, and also I might add, former member of the Circle."

"You actually hang out with those people?" Clary hissed, crossing her arms over her chest.

"It isn't like that. Hodge repented after the Uprising, and was sent to live here forever, with no chance of ever leaving the Institute."

"That seems a little harsh. How do we know he'll even want to help us?" I asked worriedly.

Jace smirked. "He's a friend. We should only worry that he can help us."

We walked inside, and as soon as we did, he stared at Clary in amazement. "Jocelyn?"

"I'm Clary. Jocelyn Fray is my mother."

"She was Jocelyn Fairchild when I met her. She was one of my best friends."

"She was taken by some Valentine guy—" I explained, but was cut short by Hodge.

"But that's impossible. Valentine's dead, and the Circle died with him."  He suddenly winced in pain and made a choking noise, while the circle Rune on his neck visibly burned.

"Woah! Are you alright?" I asked.

"I swore a vow never to speak of what we did. This is the Clave's way of ensuring I won't break my vow."