➰Chapter Thirteen➰

Chapter thirteen

"You know you can't avoid the question, right? I know Mom swore you to secrecy, but I've seen you stand up to her before." Clary questioned Luke, who was resting on Magnus's bed, still covered in bandages. He looked much better now; he wasn't wincing in pain anymore, but I could still notice the tiredness in his eyes.

"You know what we both were when you saw me that morning, didn't you? You knew I was a Shadowhunter just like Clary." I said.

"Why didn't you tell me about any of this?" Clary continued.

Luke sighed in defeat. "Because I was afraid you'd hate us."

"Not possible. Okay, the last few days, I have not had all of the information."

"And you still don't. But you need to know everything. It'll help you find the Mortal Cup." Luke said, tiredly.

"How?" Clary asked, frowning in confusion.

"You're just gonna have to trust me."

"I do, more than anything," Clary said, before meeting her eyes with mine. "We do."

"Nothing you say can change that." I said with a smile. "But you have to trust us, as well."

"All right," Luke started. "Magnus told you about the Uprising?"

"Yeah." Clary and I said in unison.

"About the Valentine who murdered all those people?"

"Yes. But how will this answer how you knew the truth about me?" I asked him.

"The reason he became that man was our fault mine and Jocelyn's." Luke started, looking down in shame.

"I don't believe you." Clary said, shaking her head repeatedly. She clearly didn't want to accept what Luke was saying.

"We betrayed him, Clary, your mother and I. We fell in love. And in doing so, we also betrayed you, Leah, even though we didn't know it yet."

"Did you... Wait —Are you my—" Luke stopped Clary before she could finish the question.

"No. No, we never—"

"Slept together?" I arched an eyebrow with a smirk forming on my face. 

"Yeah. I mean, no! Your parents were married. Valentine was my parabatai." Luke said, and I noticed him blushing. "We both loved him. But as his rhetoric got more violent and he became more combative with the Clave we started to worry. We tried to help him, tried to temper him, but he just kept pulling away. That just drew us closer together. We knew it was wrong, but we couldn't deny it, or hide it."

"That's actually kind of a sweet story, you know, if you take away the part where Valentine went crazy." I commented, making Luke crack a smile.

"Valentine became convinced we were having an affair. He was obsessed with winning Jocelyn's heart back. For love, he was willing to do anything, even compromise his own principles. He became fixated on becoming a better soldier. That led him to do the unthinkable: experiment with Downworlder blood." Luke continued, his smile fading slowly.

"But didn't Valentine despise the Downworld? Why would he meddle with their blood?" I asked, recalling the one thing I do know about this Valentine guy so far: that he hated Downworlders and wanted to kill them all.

"Once he crossed that line we never got him back again. In the end, our love did more damage to Valentine than anything anybody else could have done. We broke his heart."